PDA

View Full Version : Update recovery to windows 8.1 ? possible

pka4916
10-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Is it possible to update the Recovery Partition to Windows 8.1 , and recreate a boot USB for it ?
IT's going to be a pain to install Windows 8 and then update to 8.1

cl-Albert
10-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately, there normally isn't going to be an easy way for you to update the recovery partition yourself (although I've heard Windows RT 8.1 will update the recovery partition if it matters, but this isn't the case for the 'normal' Win8 included with our notebooks which will stay the same).

Yes, if you find you need to reinstall Win8.1 often, it may not be too fun and I can think of the options below to avoid this (don't forget about trying System Restore too?).

1. If you can back up your entire hard drive image right after you update to Win8.1, this is one way around the lack of a Win8.1 recovery partition. Rewben's upgrade guide here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=) mentions using Macrium Reflect to back up your hard drive image and there should be other ways too if you want to ask around more.

2. This will not be possible right away and hopefully will be possible later, but you can check with your local service center if they are able to install the Win8.1 recovery partition although you need to send in your notebook to have this done.

3. Assuming #2 is possible, try to get a back up from somebody with the same model as you who has already gone through step #2 above and has the Win8.1 recovery partition.

pka4916
10-17-2013, 06:05 PM
I can also, just sent them a HDD.... not going to mail in my whole laptop.... That's all I have here.
Guess Ill have to find out

Clintlgm
10-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Why not just image your hard drive, Image your C: run daily or weekly updates on your C: image, you can restore in a few minutes. Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/), Acronis True home image, Not sure but I think Norton Ghost now is compatible with UEFI. actual if you don't want to spend any money Windows back up will work for you.
Macrium will restore your complete hard drive as it is when you Image it. It will also restore your image to different hardware! SSD or Larger or smaller hard drive.