PDA

View Full Version : Help...Why so many partitions on my C drive after 8.1 install

jsarver
10-17-2013, 06:37 PM
after 8.1 install im now showing a 100mb efi partition, a 900mb recovery partition, a 350mb recovery partition, and a 20gig restore partition. im using a jh so i have 2 128 gig ssd's in raid 0. i can not figure out how all these got made or what is actually supposed to be present...please help me out if you can

cosmicmango
10-17-2013, 07:03 PM
after 8.1 install im now showing a 100mb efi partition, a 900mb recovery partition, a 350mb recovery partition, and a 20gig restore partition. im using a jh so i have 2 128 gig ssd's in raid 0. i can not figure out how all these got made or what is actually supposed to be present...please help me out if you can

I'm in the process of upgrading to 8.1, but the 5 partitions are the way it came out of the box.

The C drive is for the OS (Windows 8) and the F drive is partition for storage & additional programs.

jsarver
10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
actually yes it come that way but thet f drive is just your other 128 gig ssd. they raid 0 them then they partition them into two different drives. i merged mine when i first got it so it was one drive at 256. so my findings are different then yours.

i did however fix this with disk part and override partition deletes. im now at one recovery at 900, one efi at 100, and main boot drive.

jsarver
10-17-2013, 08:27 PM
when your done try and see if windows is seeing your ssds correctly. you can do this by going to the disk optimization tool. im curious is it will see your ssd like hdd as it did mine at first.

hmscott
10-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Those partitions were always there. When I cloned the OEM HD to an SSD I copied all the partitions exactly as they came on the OEM disk to maintain the recovery function.

The only difference is now in 8.1 we are seeing those previously hidden partitions in Windows Manage Disk Management snapin. They aren't showing up, at least for me, in the Explorer window for "This PC".

I wouldn't combine any partitions, or remove them, especially an OEM RAID configuration as it came from Asus, you might loose recovery functionality.

cosmicmango
10-17-2013, 10:04 PM
when your done try and see if windows is seeing your ssds correctly. you can do this by going to the disk optimization tool. im curious is it will see your ssd like hdd as it did mine at first.

It showed the SSD as HDD, thanks for the heads up I just turn defrag off.

jsarver
10-18-2013, 08:30 PM
It showed the SSD as HDD, thanks for the heads up I just turn defrag off.

dont turn it off. run powershell and type "winSAT formal" in the command without quotes

this will make windows reevaluate what kind of drive it is and you can keep optimizing as normal

jsarver
10-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Those partitions were always there. When I cloned the OEM HD to an SSD I copied all the partitions exactly as they came on the OEM disk to maintain the recovery function.

The only difference is now in 8.1 we are seeing those previously hidden partitions in Windows Manage Disk Management snapin. They aren't showing up, at least for me, in the Explorer window for "This PC".

I wouldn't combine any partitions, or remove them, especially an OEM RAID configuration as it came from Asus, you might loose recovery functionality.

o well looks like i lost recovery lol. i deleted the 20g and the 350mb parttiton. they were to the right of my os in disk manager. everything that i read said anything to the right is not essential so i removed it. im ok with that though. i dont think i would ever want to restore to an asus factory state. if anything this computer will get wiped one day and will run a clean untouched windows.

aarbogh
01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Hi

Any one who know what the 350MB partition is? I would like to combine my two usable partitions on the ssd, but the 350MB one are in between.

Do I mess up the recovery by deleting only the 350 MB partition?

hmscott
01-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Hi

Any one who know what the 350MB partition is? I would like to combine my two usable partitions on the ssd, but the 350MB one are in between.

Do I mess up the recovery by deleting only the 350 MB partition?

aarogh, I backed up the recovery to a 16GB flash drive using Asus Backtracker, booted on it, and it successfully restored my factory settings - same partitions on SSD RAID and 1TB harddrive. So if you want to blow away the recovery partitions, then make sure you do a Backtracker Backup first. That worked for me :)

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I did all the homework, made my usb stick with backtrack and a system image with Easeaus, and now I want to delete the hidden partitions on my system SSD (expect EFI of course : ) and in Disk Manager, I have no options to delete these partitions.

Win 8.1 Update here.

cosmicmango
04-13-2014, 03:22 PM
I did all the homework, made my usb stick with backtrack and a system image with Easeaus, and now I want to delete the hidden partitions on my system SSD (expect EFI of course : ) and in Disk Manager, I have no options to delete these partitions.

Win 8.1 Update here.

Open Command Prompt and use diskpart - below is a link that will explain everything.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738489(v=ws.10).aspx

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-13-2014, 08:59 PM
great but even the commands mentioned there do not work under win 8.

that link points to an Updated: January 21, 2005 page....

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-13-2014, 09:04 PM
great but even the commands mentioned there do not work under win 8.

that link points to an Updated: January 21, 2005 page....

erix_jansen@hotmail.com
04-13-2014, 09:39 PM
AOMEI Partition Assistent (free) from download.Cnet.com, standard edition, did the job for me.