PDA

View Full Version : G55VW upgraded to Windows 8.1 - Secure Boot isn't configured correctly

smakhtin
10-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi.

I'm upgraded my windows 8 installation to 8.1 and now always get this overlay on desktop. - "Secure Boot isn't configured correctly". What i can do with this? I checked BIOS, there is no Secure Boot and Fast Boot options. I'm using the last BIOS version.

cl-Albert
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi,

Was your notebook shipped from ASUS with Win7 or Win8 installed and what is your bios version?

If you notebook was shipped with Win7 or repaired before, ask your local support/service center about sending in your notebook to add the settings to your bios.

If you don't know too much about secure boot, you might ask around to see if it's even something you want to worry about.

brndwn
10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Ah, never mind this post. Is useless

tkolarik
10-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Ah, never mind this post. Is useless That's exactly right! Asus has known this was an issue since the preview rolled out but they haven't created a new BIOS to address it.

SAME OL' ASUS --- IF IT'S OUT OF WARRANTY THEN IT'S NOT THEIR PROBLEM!!!

Asus states is that the original Windows 7 version of the G75VW will work with Windows 8 just that they are not responsible for how well it works! SecureBoot is in the BIOS but Asus has hidden it from us being able to us it. Some owners who contacted Asus earlier while their units were under warranty, say they have been able to have Asus open up the BIOS somehow so they could turn on SecureBoot.

I'm not really sure I even want it, I just don't like it that I cannot make the choice myself! PLUS THE FACT THAT I HAVE THAT DESKTOP WATERMARK.

smakhtin
10-18-2013, 04:55 AM
My laptop was shipped with Windows 7, it's bios version is 214, the last one for this laptop, i upgraded it 7 month ago. Windows 8 worked well on it, but Windows 8.1 showing secure boot error. Also, currently Windows installed via Windows Boot Manager, as i see in BIOS, maybe i need to re-install it in UEFI mode? But how? Also, i replaced my main hard drive with ssd and installed hard drive to cd slot.

daveydave
10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
It may simply be possible to "lower" the indows boot manager to below that of your drive in the sequence. that worked for me last night

brndwn
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Windows 8 didn't have a watermark when Secure Boot was off. Windows 8.1 has one.

Basically nothing is different, there's just a watermark now.

Turned it off in 8.1, but I have a pre-installed win8 G75 so I had it in the BIOS. I think I might know a tool for just removing the watermark.

tkolarik
10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I saw some people posting that they used various tools to disable the watermark and group policies to make it disappear. I would suggest the watermark is better than either of those options! The watermark just indicates the SecureBoot setting that is hidden in BIOS is set to off, probably the best option. However, turning it on does have some minor albeit potential advantages with virus issues.

Apexing
10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
strange, my machine came with win7, ive installed win8 and win 8.1 I dont have the watermark.
while my moms lenovo laptop came with win 8 and now show the watermark on win8,1 even tho ive enabled secuboot in bios :S

JBM
10-18-2013, 07:26 PM
ASUS, microsoft is saying its your problem. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark). contact your pc manufacturer for instructions on how to change the bios settings, So please tell how to change it on my G75VW.

thanks

wolfy
10-19-2013, 08:27 PM
this got rid of it for me

To disable the LUA...

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Key: EnableLUA

Value data: 0

m.ghassany
10-31-2013, 01:45 PM
this windows update works fine .. it removed it

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40879

cl-Albert
10-31-2013, 04:26 PM
this windows update works fine .. it removed it

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40879

Thanks for the update and a little curious if you manually installed the update or if it came through automatic updates, but expect it was a manual install.

The patch removes the 'SecureBoot isn't configured correctly' watermark for those that want to do this, but secure boot hasn't actually been enabled for anybody that cares about this.
If anybody is interested, check this link on Microsoft's website for a little more information and links to the patch/KB as well:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark

Also, any notebook sold with Win8 should have the secure boot setting in the bios, so you would just change the bios setting to get rid of the message which most people may know already.

Most or almost all of the notebooks sold with Win7 will not have the secure boot bios setting though.

finalhour
10-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the update and a little curious if you manually installed the update or if it came through automatic updates, but expect it was a manual install.

The patch removes the 'SecureBoot isn't configured correctly' watermark for those that want to do this, but secure boot hasn't actually been enabled for anybody that cares about this.
If anybody is interested, check this link on Microsoft's website for a little more information and links to the patch/KB as well:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark

Also, any notebook sold with Win8 should have the secure boot setting in the bios, so you would just change the bios setting to get rid of the message which most people may know already.

Most or almost all of the notebooks sold with Win7 will not have the secure boot bios setting though.

Can't we get a bios update for notebooks like the G55 and G75 VW that fixes this issue? Pleeeeease?

Clintlgm
10-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Yea that would give me reason enough to update my BIOS from 210!

cl-Albert
11-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Can't we get a bios update for notebooks like the G55 and G75 VW that fixes this issue? Pleeeeease?

Not sure what the official answer is for this and if a new bios could solve this, but one big problem I see with a bios update (if it's possible) would be that many G55VW Win7 customers will probably run into problems if they used this bios and the default bios settings enabled secure boot (yes, they could change the bios settings if they know about it, but many customers will probably be inconvenienced).
Conversely, if the default settings of the currently nonexistent bios disabled secure boot, G55VW Win8 customers will run into issues (Win8.1 watermark, etc.).

So...unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible for a new bios solution to address this secure boot issue that will be good for all Win7 and Win8 G55/G75VW owners.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this and a better solution will appear later, but for now if you want to send in your notebook to get the secure boot setting, check with your local service center and feel free to let me know if you run into any problems.

Well, I'll try to keep quiet now since I probably don't have enough information to say much more, but just wanted to mention this issue while I was thinking about it.

Clintlgm
11-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes this MS fix worked for me, I no longer have the watermark

TLAVY
11-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Have been waiting a bit to do the win 8.1 upgrade but think I will give it a go now. I was concerned about the watermark issue with the secure boot. My G75VX came with Win 8 preinstalled, I checked the bios settings and can see the secure boot is enabled on my machine already. Thinking there should be no issue now putting 8.1 in there. Looks like a wireless adapter and Bluetooth update are on the Asus site for win 8.1 so will put them in there after the upgrade over the Ethernet. Do I have it right?

FFXIJehuty
11-02-2013, 01:05 AM
i'm having this problem too but i was able to enable it in bios but now i'm getting bios load fail or some thing does anyone know what that means?

finalhour
11-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Not sure what the official answer is for this and if a new bios could solve this, but one big problem I see with a bios update (if it's possible) would be that many G55VW Win7 customers will probably run into problems if they used this bios and the default bios settings enabled secure boot (yes, they could change the bios settings if they know about it, but many customers will probably be inconvenienced).
Conversely, if the default settings of the currently nonexistent bios disabled secure boot, G55VW Win8 customers will run into issues (Win8.1 watermark, etc.).

So...unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible for a new bios solution to address this secure boot issue that will be good for all Win7 and Win8 G55/G75VW owners.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this and a better solution will appear later, but for now if you want to send in your notebook to get the secure boot setting, check with your local service center and feel free to let me know if you run into any problems.

Well, I'll try to keep quiet now since I probably don't have enough information to say much more, but just wanted to mention this issue while I was thinking about it.

Thanks Albert! I appreciate the response! :-)

TLAVY
11-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Well did the update to win 8.1 went smooth, just had to update 1 driver on my VX. Seems the same as 8 LOL I honestly cant see much difference at all. Start button, boot to desktop if you want....really no big deal at all except another button on your task bar. Took a while though about 1.5 hour total. No watermark, but there are a couple incompatible add ons I will either update or just loose. The thing even seems faster, loads web pages almost instantly! And Im using a 7200rpm HD

cl-Albert
11-04-2013, 08:06 PM
i'm having this problem too but i was able to enable it in bios but now i'm getting bios load fail or some thing does anyone know what that means?

If you are still having problems with this and want to work on it, please provide more details like if the bios load fail message appears in the bios or in Windows and what steps should be followed to see the error.
The message doesn't sound familiar, so tell us the exact wording if you haven't and the model of your notebook too.

If you see the message in Windows, hit the Prt scr (printscreen) key to save a picture in Microsoft Paint to provide if necessary, or take a picture if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

Fetito
11-08-2013, 12:18 AM
I got the same issue! Do I have to contact the Customer Service from Asus? Will there be a Bios update?

Clintlgm
11-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Here is the fix (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark)

Taklimi
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone,
I know that most of you have a lot of problems for migrating from preinstalled Windows 8 (HDD) to your new SSD in ASUS G75VW-AH71. I had it too and I think I solved it. This is the way that works for me and hope it will be useful for you guys too.
1. Belarc Advisor is one of my favorite free system information tools, and you can find the product key of your Windows 8. Download and install it and then Run it. It gives you and HTML file that can be opened by any Explorer and you can see your Windows 8 Product Key. (Honestly, you don’t need this key because your key has been saved in your BIOS too. But it is a safe way to have your key and write it in a place. You can download Belarc Advisor v8.4 from here (http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisorinstaller.exe).
2. Also, you need to have a Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN. Here is the link that you can download it by torrent.
Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN (http://thepiratebay.ac/torrent/7990261/Windows_8_(RTM)_Build_9200_(32bit___64bit)_MSDN___ Activator)
Don’t worry about Serial number or anything. We use or serial number that comes with our laptop and it is legal.
3. Put this Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN DVD in DVD write.
4. Now you are ready for Process.
5. Remove the 750GB HDD from computer. (I am sure you can do it easily)
6. Install your New SSD in other place for hard in back of your laptop.
7. Now is the part that you should be careful: We should change BIOS and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
8. Start computer and press Delete button many times to go to your BIOS screen.
9. Go to Advanced menu and then check SATA Configuration menu. Now you should see only your SSD and DVD Writer.
10. Now go back to Boot menu and disable Fast Boot.
11. Enable Lunch CSM.
12. Enable Lunch PXE OpROM.
13. In Boot Option #1 select DVD Writer.
14. Go to Security menu, and then select Secure Boot Control and Disable it. (Important)
15. Go to Save & Exit menu and click on Save Changes and Exit.
16. Now your system tries to install Windows 8 from DVD.
17. You should not have any problem with installation of DVD. It doesn’t require any Key for windows because the key of your original windows has been saved in system and it automatically add to your windows. Later when you connect to internet, the windows will be activated. (It is simple and you shouldn’t do anything)
18. After finishing Installation of Windows 8, you can download and install all software and drivers of ASUS G75VW from manufacture site. (Driver and Support Link (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/#support))
19. Your process is finished now and you can enjoy your windows
20. For adding you other original 750GB Hard, you will go to your BIOS again and go to Save & Exit menu. Then select Restore Defaults and later select Save Changes and Exit.
21. Now check your windows again. Everything should work fine.
22. Shut Down the computer.
23. Remove Battery
24. Install your original 750GB Hard drive.
25. Put back the Battery.
26. Restart your Computer.
27. Now you should see your new hard drive in My Computer.

I didn’t delete or format my original 750GB hard, and base on that, I have the ability to Dual boot to my original preinstalled Windows 8 and my new one that I installed it in SSD. (Definitely I usually use my SSD one because it is extraordinarily fast near 5 sec for reaching to my Desktop screen!!!!!)

For selecting which OS boot first you should go to your BIOS and then Boot menu and under Boot Option Priorities, select Boot Option #1 and then select your OS from (SSD or HDD)