PDA

View Full Version : G73sw upgrade cpu i7qm to xm

kilometrix
10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Hello guys, sorry for my bad english but:
I upgrade my G73SW-91183V with 2630QM to 2960XM cpu. Everything is working fine, but my cpu is running at its base clock(2.7Ghz) . No turbo mode up to 3.7Ghz, no specific Bios for XM CPU, so i can't do anything to have control on my CPU.
However, i patch my new CPU with AES and Throttle Stop fonctions.
I try to see on intel support if i could find some informations to solve my problem, but except Bits 945 http://biosbits.or/ there is nothing else. The problem is that I'm not enough experienced with such tool.
Do you have any simple solution or Vmod 205 bios for my laptop to propose.
thank's to you all

jmhdj
10-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Is Your 2960XM QS/ES sample or final version?

Zygomorphic
10-19-2013, 01:02 AM
You can't get the TurboBoost working due to thermal considerations. TurboBoost only runs if the chip is below a certain temperature threshold, and the G73SW is designed around the common 45W TDP quad-core chips. The XM chips are 55W TDP, which means that they run hotter without added cooling. The G73SW can't properly cool the 55W chip, and so it runs hotter, thus removing the possiblity of the chip engaging TurboBoost.

kilometrix
10-19-2013, 09:13 AM
It's a OEM sample.

kilometrix
10-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Ok, i made a stress test on 8 threads running at 2.7Ghz(I can't go higher), I get 71c max, on running cores. In idle I get 34c.
Well, i think the bios is locked, because I should have the extreme menu in Bios for this type of CPU and i got nothing, just the name 2960XM but no additional features.
More over, I think that's the bios don't have the correct CPU codes, that's why I was looking for Intel Biosbits support. But I'm not enough experienced to use it.
Do you have an advice.

Zygomorphic
10-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Ok, i made a stress test on 8 threads running at 2.7Ghz(I can't go higher), I get 71c max, on running cores. In idle I get 34c.
Well, i think the bios is locked, because I should have the extreme menu in Bios for this type of CPU and i got nothing, just the name 2960XM but no additional features.
More over, I think that's the bios don't have the correct CPU codes, that's why I was looking for Intel Biosbits support. But I'm not enough experienced to use it.
Do you have an advice.
The BIOS will be locked, because it isn't written to support that chip. There isn't much you can do.

kilometrix
10-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Ok, thank you.
Do you think it is possible to take a G74SW bios instead, because this laptop can run with a 2960XM.

kilometrix
10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry, with G74SX

kilometrix
10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Like this one, http://www.everychina.com/f-z51e549d/p-90741269-asus_g74sx_dh71_i7_2960xm_12gb_ram_1_5tb_hd.html

As you can see, it's the same chipset HM65.

Zygomorphic
10-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Ok, thank you.
Do you think it is possible to take a G74SW bios instead, because this laptop can run with a 2960XM.
No you can't there are other differences - GPU comes to mind - that would preclude this option. Trying to flash another model's BIOS is asking for trouble.

kilometrix
10-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok, understood.
By the way, if I can find somebody who knows how to use Biosbits from intel, to mod my Bios, do you think it can help, or should I drop it, cause there's no way out.

Sci-ops
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi Kilometrix,

I have the same laptop and the same cpu. Mine does not go over 2.7 as well. I just noticed it thanks to you.

There is a person called Svl7. He has the skills to mod BIOS files and he fulfills BIOS modification requests at this thread linked down below.
You seem to have researched a lot more than I did, can you post a request there?

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7.html

kilometrix
12-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Sci-ops,
Thank's for the link above. In fact, i found a software to edit my AMI bios and enable some hidden functions in bios menu. Unfortunately, I' ve been working on an already modified bios (AES-TFIX) in my laptop, instead of taking the original 205bios. I think that's why I bricked my laptop. I had to replace myself the bios chip with another one (already programmed), and now everything is fine, except the Lan controller, which is not recognize by the system (error code 10). A Mac address problem, I can't resolve for the moment. As soon as, I will be able to solve this problem, I ask SVL7 for an unlock bios for my G73SW.
For the moment I don't know how to unplug my Lan Card, cause I know nothing about this kind of plug, Any ideas ?

jmhdj
12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Lan is not card but rather chip soldered on that part that comes in corner together with one usb Connector. It is connected to motherboard by cable. Your best bet is to rebuild original bios chip as there is stored mac address matching your lan mac. It is stored to 1.5 mb portion of bios chip that is not accessed by flashing programs.

kilometrix
12-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Thank you for your advice jmhdj. Just a question, is it the 6 first numbers(manufacturer code) + six hexadecimal which are stored in the bios chip or just the first six one.

Sci-ops
06-23-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi Kilometrix,

Do you have any updates?

I ran into the same issue where I bricked to computer while changing BIOS settings after I enabled some options, inserted the new CPU microcode. Laptop would loop on start up where it would try to turn on for 3 seconds, power off for 7 then repeat. I got a bios file from ebay from seller who sells the chips. I programmed one with a USB SPI programmer and replaced the BIOS chip, the laptop booted fine. I wanted to get back to the original BIOS so I extracted the image of the my broken BIOS, I looked at it with a hex editor, I really wasn't able to understand which part to replace. I actually had asked Svl7 about a custom Vbios for a 770m so I had the motherboard out and I soldered leads from dupot wire to the pads for bios and vbios. I also had chips soldered to adapters so I could try different BIOSes quickly.

I got the G73sw.205 on USB got into the EZ flash utility I switched the BIOS chip at the last step. EZflash patched the original BIOS and it works fine now.
Were you able to get your LAN working?