PDA

View Full Version : My G750JX wont update to Windows 8.1 - Auto System Restore [solved]

NedKelly
10-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Hi All,

I have a two month old G750 running stock Windows 8 out of the box.
The only non-standard drivers are the latest Nvidia drivers. I have also updated the bios to the latest 208 version (after the first failed Win 8.1 install).

I have downloaded the update for 8.1 from the Win store 3 times now and I have run the installation process through about 6 times, trying things like disconnecting all attached devices etc without success.

Each time it "appears" to install the 8.1 update completely, however on what seems like the final reboot the system hangs for a long time (maybe 30+ minutes) eventually rebooting again with the message "Automatic System Restore in Progress" (or similar).

After a few minutes it boots to my original Windows 8 installation and I get one banner message along the lines of: "Windows 8.1 installation was unsuccessful. System successfully restored to last know restore point" Click OK. It logs in as normal. Through the failed upgrade cycle there is nowhere it asks for any manual input.

Anyone got any helpful ideas on what my issues might be and/or how to resolve them? :)

Thanks in advance.

hmscott
10-19-2013, 12:45 AM
You can try a disk check. Run it under Windows 8.0, and schedule a check/fix at the next boot if requested. If it says you don't need to scan the disk, you can safely scan anyway, just in case.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8

You need lots of free space, the Windows.old folder after my upgrade has 3.66GB, 89,474 files, 22,646 folders. And, my new Windows folder has 15.1GB, 77,476 files, 17,300 folders - you could be running out of space.

There are lots of things the failure could be. Did you note the error code(s) on that screen on the bottom left?

NedKelly
10-19-2013, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have 37gb free on the OS (c) SSD drive.

I ran the error checker and optimization tool; no errors and last optimised yesterday, also correctly detected as an SSD. So unfortunately that was not the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

I will run the install again shortly and get the error code...which I should have known better to write down one of the last 6 times I saw it.

Pitcher
10-19-2013, 05:15 AM
you need to have the updated Windows 8.1 Drivers before you attempt to upgrade or it will feel, one of the possible reasons it is failing is because you have the old MEI you need MEI v9.5XX and higher

NedKelly
10-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Fixed!

It turned out to be an issue caused by Nvidia drivers. I ended up wiping out my old install and doing a clean install of 8.1 and all is running well. :)

hmscott
10-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Fixed!

It turned out to be an issue caused by Nvidia drivers. I ended up wiping out my old install and doing a clean install of 8.1 and all is running well. :)

Congratulations NedKelly! :cool:

rizwan.wangde
10-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Hey NedKelly,

What edition of 8.1 did you install? How was your experience performing the clean install? Anything to lookout for?

nagooro
10-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Fixed!

Did you use certain instructions on performing the clean install? Do you need a windows 8 disc?