PDA

View Full Version : G75VW + Windows 8.1 Update = broken Secure Boot

finalhour
10-19-2013, 02:39 AM
So I just installed the Microsoft update to get from Windows 8 to the 8.1 update. Unfortunately this has given me a watermark on my lower right-hand corner informing me that Secure Boot is not configured correctly.

I'm not sending this for RMA. This is stupid. Many of us G75VW owners have windows 8...and 8.1 is almost like a service pack upgrade. ASUS ought to fix this issue....I don't understand why we cant get a simple BIOS update to fix this.

GottiBoi55
10-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Check out this post from Technet Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn441535.aspx)
Try the "How can I fix it" solutions there, should do the trick for you!
Also look here Secure Boot Overview (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx)

Hope this helps?

wolfy
10-19-2013, 08:26 PM
This worked for me
To disable the LUA...

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Key: EnableLUA

Value data: 0

finalhour
10-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Check out this post from Technet Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn441535.aspx)
Try the "How can I fix it" solutions there, should do the trick for you!
Also look here Secure Boot Overview (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824987.aspx)

Hope this helps?

Hey GottiBoi55,

Thanks for the link(s), I did read the technet post before posting here. The issue's that the BIOS doesn't allow for SecureBoot to be enabled. ASUS needs to put out an update to allow it.

finalhour
10-19-2013, 08:28 PM
This worked for me
To disable the LUA...

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Value data: 0

Does this fix secureboot or just disable the watermark? I'll try it either way I guess haha

wolfy
10-19-2013, 08:28 PM
what i did above got rid of it for me

finalhour
10-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanks Wolfy! It did get rid of the watermark. So are you saying this enables the secureboot too? Or am I out of luck on that? I feel like ASUS could easily just re-enable it in a BIOS update if they were bugged enough!

finalhour
10-19-2013, 08:52 PM

So actually this now broke my UAC settings and i can't open files that were mine...lol >_<

RIPAciD
10-19-2013, 10:59 PM
The models with WIndows 8 pre-installed have those options in bios, they can put the updated bios in the download section but this is not a big problem, not so many ppl are complaining about this so they ignore us.

GottiBoi55
10-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Hey GottiBoi55,

Thanks for the link(s), I did read the technet post before posting here. The issue's that the BIOS doesn't allow for SecureBoot to be enabled. ASUS needs to put out an update to allow it.

Well if you want to reset the BIOS back to Factory out of the box setting there's always the "ctrl+home+power combo.
Resetting the BIOS to factory settings is second on the list to fix this issue.

finalhour
10-20-2013, 04:08 AM
Well if you want to reset the BIOS back to Factory out of the box setting there's always the "ctrl+home+power combo.

My G75VW came with Win7 originally, so won't doing this BIOS reset damage things? I thought the updates to the factory BIOS were needed for Windows 8.

RIPAciD
10-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Mine came with Free-DOS, still don't have those options in bios.

graphic
10-20-2013, 11:33 AM
in my bios,( formular x79) under tools tab, secure boot, changed from other os to uefi boot or something and message gone ,
not sure it i did the right thing or not, but it worked:)

GottiBoi55
10-20-2013, 01:48 PM
My G75VW came with Win7 originally, so won't doing this BIOS reset damage things? I thought the updates to the factory BIOS were needed for Windows 8.

Nope, In my case the ctrl+home+power didn't hurt a thing!
I rolled back the BIOS more then once before.
If you still had the factory installed OS on your G75 and upgraded to W8 (8.1) from there, the "factory BIOS BAT file" is still on file.

*WARNING RUN AT YOUR OWN RISK*
If you did a CLEAN install of your OS, "DO NOT ATTEMPT" this procedure (BIOS RESET) from Technet Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn441535.aspx) your Factory BIOS BAT file will be MISSING once you did a CLEAN INSTALL!
Edit: Make sure have a "Recovery Media" backup before hand.

You are just doing this procedure to try to remove the "watermark"!
After this procedure to remove the watermark, just update BIOS back to the latest version.
I would do this BIOS update from the BIOS with "EZ-flash" for better results. (Winflash is not recommended)

PS: I'm hoping that Asus will come up with "BIOS update" for W7 users that are upgrading to W8 (8.1), that has setting that pre-installed W8 users have! (Secure boot, CSM, and Fast boot)

PSS: This is one reason I didn't upgrade yet, I was waiting to see what problems would appear!

boofsterb
10-20-2013, 05:11 PM
There's got to be another way to get rid of watermark instead of resetting bios.
There also should be a simple explanation as to why the watermark appears on
so many different systems.

GottiBoi55
10-20-2013, 06:04 PM
There's got to be another way to get rid of watermark instead of resetting bios.
There also should be a simple explanation as to why the watermark appears on
so many different systems.

Yes I agree, but that's just one of the "troubleshooting" tips from Technet Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn441535.aspx) that the starter (finalhour) of this thread was asking about.
Have you looked at the Technet Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn441535.aspx) article on this watermark issue, they have a few other tips that might fix the watermark?

My guess is, that Microsoft is working on this issue, and soon will come out with a simple fix.
(since so many are experiencing this "watermark issue", and not just Asus owners)

That's was my biggest reason I didn't jump on the "band wagon", so to say right away.

wolfy
10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
So actually this now broke my UAC settings and i can't open files that were mine...lol >_<

Sorry bout that , i do not have any problems with files, would be great thou if we got a bios update..

GottiBoi55
10-21-2013, 12:04 AM
This link has great tips!.....How to Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 (http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-upgrade-to-windows-8-1-from-windows-8/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AskVG+(AskVG))

Check it out!

boofsterb
10-21-2013, 01:59 AM
My Bios on G75VW shows Secure boot state and secure boot control.
The secure boot state says disabled in black and i cant change it.
The secure boot control says enabled and i do have the option to disable.
All of these functions are under the security tab

RIPAciD
10-22-2013, 12:26 PM

What is exactly bios reset? Returning to an old version of bios?

davidlask
10-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the fix, this worked for me. :-)

RIPAciD
10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the fix, this worked for me. :-)

Fix? What fix? Bios reset? For me Ctrl+Home+Power does nothing...

Damn, downgraded to the first version of bios, still don't have those options, only "Boot UEFI" in boot tab. Windows 8.1 is installed in UEFI mode, gpt partition... I can also edit the .mui files to remove the watermark but that's not a solution.

davidlask
10-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Sorry . This was the fix that worked for me.

To disable the LUA...

Value 0

This will disable UAC also and make some of the default Windows 8 programs not work, i.e. Picture Viewer

boofsterb
10-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Has anyone found a legitimate solution to the watermark because I am still stuck with it.
This is as far as i got in bios "Secure Boot is possible only if system runs in user mode" bios223.
So does that mean I'm in Kernel mode? How do you even get into user mode?

RIPAciD
10-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Has anyone found a legitimate solution to the watermark because I am still stuck with it.
This is as far as i got in bios "Secure Boot is possible only if system runs in user mode" bios223.
So does that mean I'm in Kernel mode? How do you even get into user mode?

Your notebook came with Win7 pre-installed or Win8? You have the G75VW GTX670M?

The only solution I found is to edit the .mui files to remove the text completely. I don't want to disable UAC... I also found a registry key, "SecureBootEnabled=0/1, I wrote a vbscript to change the value data to 1 and created a new task to run it at userlogon but the system behaves strangely so I'll skip this.

boofsterb
10-26-2013, 07:58 PM
My NB came with windows 8 pre-installed with the gtx670m, it's the 3D version of the NB

RIPAciD
10-26-2013, 11:21 PM
My NB came with windows 8 pre-installed with the gtx670m, it's the 3D version of the NB

Check your PM please!

Clintlgm
10-26-2013, 11:41 PM
So far this seems to be the only issue I have found I'm on the second day out from a fresh install of 8.1, I also have the Secureboot isn't configured water mark, I'm still on BIOS 210, I can live with the watermark, I suppose Asus will eventually give us an upgraded BIOS to allow secureboot? Power4gear only has two options High Performance of Power saving.

finalhour
10-31-2013, 11:10 PM
So far this seems to be the only issue I have found I'm on the second day out from a fresh install of 8.1, I also have the Secureboot isn't configured water mark, I'm still on BIOS 210, I can live with the watermark, I suppose Asus will eventually give us an upgraded BIOS to allow secureboot? Power4gear only has two options High Performance of Power saving.

I wish we could get one of the Asus mods to comment on if this is possible^ a BIOS update shouldn't be that big a deal to do...

Taklimi
12-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Hi everyone,
I know that most of you have a lot of problems for migrating from preinstalled Windows 8 (HDD) to your new SSD in ASUS G75VW-AH71. I had it too and I think I solved it. This is the way that works for me and hope it will be useful for you guys too.
1. Belarc Advisor is one of my favorite free system information tools, and you can find the product key of your Windows 8. Download and install it and then Run it. It gives you and HTML file that can be opened by any Explorer and you can see your Windows 8 Product Key. (Honestly, you don’t need this key because your key has been saved in your BIOS too. But it is a safe way to have your key and write it in a place. You can download Belarc Advisor v8.4 from here (http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisorinstaller.exe).
2. Also, you need to have a Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN. Here is the link that you can download it by torrent.
Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN (http://thepiratebay.ac/torrent/7990261/Windows_8_(RTM)_Build_9200_(32bit___64bit)_MSDN___ Activator)
Don’t worry about Serial number or anything. We use or serial number that comes with our laptop and it is legal.
3. Put this Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN DVD in DVD write.
4. Now you are ready for Process.
5. Remove the 750GB HDD from computer. (I am sure you can do it easily)
6. Install your New SSD in other place for hard in back of your laptop.
7. Now is the part that you should be careful: We should change BIOS and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
8. Start computer and press Delete button many times to go to your BIOS screen.
9. Go to Advanced menu and then check SATA Configuration menu. Now you should see only your SSD and DVD Writer.
10. Now go back to Boot menu and disable Fast Boot.
11. Enable Lunch CSM.
12. Enable Lunch PXE OpROM.
13. In Boot Option #1 select DVD Writer.
14. Go to Security menu, and then select Secure Boot Control and Disable it. (Important)
15. Go to Save & Exit menu and click on Save Changes and Exit.
16. Now your system tries to install Windows 8 from DVD.
17. You should not have any problem with installation of DVD. It doesn’t require any Key for windows because the key of your original windows has been saved in system and it automatically add to your windows. Later when you connect to internet, the windows will be activated. (It is simple and you shouldn’t do anything)
18. After finishing Installation of Windows 8, you can download and install all software and drivers of ASUS G75VW from manufacture site. (Driver and Support Link (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/#support))
19. Your process is finished now and you can enjoy your windows
20. For adding you other original 750GB Hard, you will go to your BIOS again and go to Save & Exit menu. Then select Restore Defaults and later select Save Changes and Exit.
21. Now check your windows again. Everything should work fine.
22. Shut Down the computer.
23. Remove Battery
24. Install your original 750GB Hard drive.
25. Put back the Battery.
26. Restart your Computer.
27. Now you should see your new hard drive in My Computer.

I didn’t delete or format my original 750GB hard, and base on that, I have the ability to Dual boot to my original preinstalled Windows 8 and my new one that I installed it in SSD. (Definitely I usually use my SSD one because it is extraordinarily fast near 5 sec for reaching to my Desktop screen!!!!!)

For selecting which OS boot first you should go to your BIOS and then Boot menu and under Boot Option Priorities, select Boot Option #1 and then select your OS from (SSD or HDD)