PDA

View Full Version : G750jw bios

Qlix0804
10-20-2013, 08:32 PM
New member, first time poster.

Installed a new SSD, cloned the main drive, now i want to make the SSD the first boot option. I bought this thing used, with no manuals. How do i get into the bios? delete and F8 arent working at the ROG loading screen.

edit: also, since theres no product key on the bottom I used magical jelly bean keyfinder to get the CD key. SHould that key work with any OEM WIndows 8 iso?

z3540
10-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Welcome! I'm no expert but I too cloned the original HDD to SSD. Here are several things I tried and all worked for me (note: I use Left and Right looking at the bottom of the computer with the access panel removed):

1. Remove the original HDD and turn the computer on with only the SSD installed. I kept the SSD in the Right bay. You can return the original HDD in the original (Left) bay and the computer will boot from the SSD.
2. Placed the SSD in the Left bay. Kept the Right bay empty and stored the original HDD in a safe place. This is what I ended up doing (see last paragraph below). I didn't have to go into BIOS to change the boot sequence.

The manual is stored in the computer = C:\eSupport\Manual. The English version is 0409. I renamed it "English Asus Manual" so I don't have to open every file looking for the English version when I want to reference it. You can also download it here: http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1 . You'll have to type in G750jw and choose the OS. The manuals are at the very bottom of the page.

To get to the BIOS see this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34035-Silly-Question-How-to-enter-BIOS-G750JW
See my post (#3). That is how I enter the BIOS. The other posts describe other methods as well.

Not sure about the product key. My guess is yes, it should work with any OEM Windows 8 iso.

Since you bought this used, I suggest to “Reset your PC” to the state it was in when it came from the factory to get rid of any “junk” the prior owner installed. On your SSD you can get to the “Reset your PC” by pulling up the Charms Bar and go to Settings>Power>Restart+Shift>Troubleshoot>Reset your PC. Update Windows 8 (8.1?), install the latest drivers, and install your programs. Use it for about a week or two to make sure everything works. If it does, I would clone the SSD to the original HDD (erasing the “junk”) and keep the HDD in a safe place. If anything goes wrong with your SSD, you can always restore from the original HDD in a condition you like. You can even do a clean install of Windows 8 (8.1) (and get rid of the "crapware") on the SSD at this point since you have a backup on the HDD.

Good Luck!

Qlix0804
10-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Ok lots of helpful info there.

1) The previous owner actually left while the laptop was "resetting" itself back to factory. With the original HDD in i updated everything and updated to 8.1. THEN an SSD fell into my lap for cheap, I installed it, cloned the windows partition (not the whole drive, left all the recovery crap where it was), and went on with trying to get the laptop to boot from it.

So now Im here.

If Im understanding you correctly, I can remove the original HDD, boot with the SSD in, and then shut down, replace the original, and then the laptop will auto select the SSD from here on out? Can I then format it? I really have no use for the recovery partitions. Ive never really used them, i always use Reflect to make backups anyways. My concern is windows 8 really. WHen I saw the "reset to stock" option I kinda of got gitty as a school girl. Will that still work if I go back to a clean install?

hmscott
10-20-2013, 11:09 PM

1) The previous owner actually left while the laptop was "resetting" itself back to factory. With the original HDD in i updated everything and updated to 8.1. THEN an SSD fell into my lap for cheap, I installed it, cloned the windows partition (not the whole drive, left all the recovery crap where it was), and went on with trying to get the laptop to boot from it.

So now Im here.

If Im understanding you correctly, I can remove the original HDD, boot with the SSD in, and then shut down, replace the original, and then the laptop will auto select the SSD from here on out? Can I then format it? I really have no use for the recovery partitions. Ive never really used them, i always use Reflect to make backups anyways. My concern is windows 8 really. WHen I saw the "reset to stock" option I kinda of got gitty as a school girl. Will that still work if I go back to a clean install?

If you use reflect, and you backed up the original drive with the recovery partitions, you can restore that image to the original disk, and run the F9 PC reset, or boot into Windows and start it from the CTL-ALT-SHIFT Reboot screens.

Here is the page from the G750JW/JX manual, page 84 - page 83 has the Refresh instructions - you can download the manual in your native language from the G750 model download area - under Manuals.

WIthout making BIOS changes, you only need to the swap drive positions to have the laptop boot on the new drive clone.

The original drive position is set for boot. After cloning, swap the new drive/SSD clone into the old boot drive position and reboot (with or without the old drive in the 2nd drive bay)

If you updated to Windows 8.1 before doing a backup on the HDD, and didn't do a backup of the Windows 8.0 OEM configuration, you might still be able to reset, but I haven't tried it.

Asus Backtracker might be able to use the recovery partitions, but I would clone the original drive to the SSD or another HD to play with it - just it case it/you messes up on the first couple of tries.

Backtracker Recovery - Download tab has installer
http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS%20Backtracker&s=480&hashedid=n/a&os=&no=1775

Qlix0804
10-20-2013, 11:33 PM
ok So pulling the original drive out and only booting with the ssd in resulted in the laptop going straight into bios (why does asus not use a UEFI btw?). The drive is seen in bios under sata config, but there is no boot option for it.

Typically I used Reflect on W7, after I had programs, drivers, settings all tweaked so I could simply restore the image when I wanted everything fresh. Since Im still jacking around with crap I havent used reflect yet.

EaseUS TODO Backup Free is what I used to clone the Windows partition from the original drive to the SSD. Is it possible that I need to redo the clone with all the recovery garbage as well?

hmscott
10-20-2013, 11:37 PM
ok So pulling the original drive out and only booting with the ssd in resulted in the laptop going straight into bios (why does asus not use a UEFI btw?). The drive is seen in bios under sata config, but there is no boot option for it.

Typically I used Reflect on W7, after I had programs, drivers, settings all tweaked so I could simply restore the image when I wanted everything fresh. Since Im still jacking around with crap I havent used reflect yet.

EaseUS TODO Backup Free is what I used to clone the Windows partition from the original drive to the SSD. Is it possible that I need to redo the clone with all the recovery garbage as well?

If you did a clone of the bootable drive with reflect, drive to SSD, and physically swapped drive positions - the SSD is now in the drive bay where the HD was, then it should boot. I have done this on 2 G750's.

Did you change any BIOS options? Try reseting back to original default BIOS settings.

Qlix0804
10-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Would the main drive being a GPT disk and teh SSD being a MBR disk have anything to do with it?

And I cant seem to find the clone options in the most recent version of Reflect. hmm.. give me a moment.

edit* Im retarded. I see the clone option now. derp.

hmscott
10-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Would the main drive being a GPT disk and teh SSD being a MBR disk have anything to do with it?

And I cant seem to find the clone options in the most recent version of Reflect. hmm.. give me a moment.

Yes, it needs to be GPT.

http://www.macrium.com/pages/downloads.aspx

It takes a little fidding around with the partition selection, and changing the size of the D partition, before enabling the adding of the recovery partition, to fit all the partitions on a smaller drive. If it is a larger drive I would leave the partitions the same size for now. You are trying to do a recovery operation that might complain if the partitioning isn't exactly the same.

Qlix0804
10-21-2013, 12:13 AM
would it be in my best interest to save the recovery drives and all the extra crap on the main drive that looks semi useless? lol

Curious why I need 3 different recovery partitions

Fairly certain I have this figured out now, once I figure out the recovery partition crap

hmscott
10-21-2013, 12:29 AM
would it be in my best interest to save the recovery drives and all the extra crap on the main drive that looks semi useless? lol
Curious why I need 3 different recovery partitions

Fairly certain I have this figured out now, once I figure out the recovery partition crap

Cloning means an exact copy :)

Yes, they use all the partitions, they are separate to protect each partition's data from changes to the other partitions. You would need to ask Asus for the specifics. But, look at the sizes, they are quite puny and not stealing much free space.

If you look at my image, the empty space at the end of the cloned drive is larger than some of the partitions. I didn't take enough time to get the empty space down to 0, but give it shot. :)

Qlix0804
10-21-2013, 01:17 AM
ok, did an exact clone after converting the SSD to GPT, pulled original drive out, put SSD in first bay, no boot.

edit: let me rephrase... booted into the windows boot manager, said there was an error and wouldnt advance.

hmscott
10-21-2013, 01:24 AM
ok, did an exact clone after converting the SSD to GPT, pulled original drive out, put SSD in first bay, no boot.
edit: let me rephrase... booted into the windows boot manager, said there was an error and wouldnt advance.

Did you reset the BIOS options to defaults? ( go into the BIOS and on the far right tab you can apply defaults).

You don't really need to boot into Windows, do the F9 recovery while posting the BIOS with the Clone in the boot position. Try F8 and pick an option.

If you can't get the recovery process started from the BIOS, you will need to figure out what went wrong with the partitioning/cloning.

A full cloning takes quite a while, how long did your cloning take?

Can you be more specific about the error?

Please put the other drive back in and put the SSD in the 2nd bay, boot on the original drive and bring up Reflect, then post a screen shot like I did of both drives and their partitions. You might see the problem there, if you do just fix it, don't bother posting the screen shot. :)

Qlix0804
10-21-2013, 02:01 AM
here is reflect.

hmscott
10-21-2013, 02:17 AM
here is reflect.

You need to clone the partitions in the same order, you missed the first partition (System) on the original drive - which is why it won't boot, and mixed up the partition order on the rest. They have to be in exactly the same order.

I also noticed that you/the previous owner, combined the C/D partitions, you have to create a C and D partition on the clone, look at the sizes of mine - make the C partition the same size, but shrink the D partition.

Also, you might get away with a shrunken D partition, but the recovery software is going to notice that the C partition is too small and it might refuse to do recovery.

You may need at least a 256GB drive to make a clone that recovery will work, if the recovery software is picky about the partition sizes. But, it is worth a try. The ideal situation is to clone to a disk that is as large or larger.

Qlix0804
10-21-2013, 03:49 AM
well, like I said I really dont care if windows recovery works or not, in the long term Reflect's recovery images are good enough. I just want to be able to get windows on the ssd, by itself, and format the main drive. I

BUt I did do what you said and still not booting. the partitions are identical now.

i failed to catch the error again, it frustrated me. Lemme go get a picture from my phone.

hmscott
10-21-2013, 04:13 AM
well, like I said I really dont care if windows recovery works or not, in the long term Reflect's recovery images are good enough. I just want to be able to get windows on the ssd, by itself, and format the main drive. I
BUt I did do what you said and still not booting. the partitions are identical now.
i failed to catch the error again, it frustrated me. Lemme go get a picture from my phone.

From those comments, I thought the goal was to use the original drive, make a clone, run recovery on that Cloned SS to get a clean OEM version of Windows 8 on the Clone. Then make a back up of that so you can revert back to the clean Windows 8 when you need to.

You will regret not having a copy of the original OEM disk, at least make a copy so you can mount the volumes later to get stuff you want from the Asus build, or restore the original OEM install to the original drive if you need to send the laptop in for service.

The Windows key is burned into the BIOS, so you can do an install of Windows 8. Windows 8.1 requires some playing around with temporary keys to do the install. I haven't tried either, so google for a solution.

Your cloned partitions look fine. It should be booting, if the original Windows disk boots the clone should. When BIOS posts, can you select F8? Do you have a Windows 8 install DVD that you can use / boot for repair mode?

I was most concerned about the partitions before the C drive to boot. The partitions after the C drive are for recovery, and if you are happy with the build on the C drive and don't want to get back to a clean Windows 8 OEM state, then after you get it booted you could delete those partitions and then expand the C drive into the free space.

Take the initiative from here, I may not come back online tonight. I will check tomorrow night.

Qlix0804
10-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Well, if I can get it to work that way (oem, recovery partitions, etc) then great. But when it comes down to it, its not gonna make me lose any sleep if I have to do a fresh install and wipe everything.

I guess the last step I could try is use the restore to fresh windows option inside windows 8 like the previous owner did in my home then do a clone immediately after its done., before i update to 8.1

and here is the error:

hmscott
10-22-2013, 03:31 AM
Well, if I can get it to work that way (oem, recovery partitions, etc) then great. But when it comes down to it, its not gonna make me lose any sleep if I have to do a fresh install and wipe everything.

I guess the last step I could try is use the restore to fresh windows option inside windows 8 like the previous owner did in my home then do a clone immediately after its done., before i update to 8.1

and here is the error:

You have probably already fixed this, but here are the Microsoft and recommended reading/fixes note referred to in the a couple of the replies.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b773ee21-b313-4730-9edd-18c20ea625bc/i-get-your-pc-needs-to-be-repaired-and-error-code-0xc0000225-in-windows-8?forum=w8itprogeneral

http://www.qliktips.com/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html

Qlix0804
10-23-2013, 12:55 AM
that would be good, but i dont have a windows CD. i guess I could create a bootable usb from windows 7 and do it that way. Im just not too comfortable with dos. I guess I can clone the C:, then pull the main drive so I dont jack it up, and then go into dos and screw around till I get it to work lol

all else fails Ill just do a clean install without the ASUS crap. Assuming thats what I do, which drivers are mandatory from the support page

Qlix0804
10-23-2013, 01:08 AM
well holy crap. I really have no idea what I did, I did one more clone of the main drive to the SSD and BAM booted up first try to the SSD.

Qlix0804
10-23-2013, 01:23 AM
new problem, now the original drive doesnt show up at all when I replaced it.

EDIT; Restarted twice and now it shows up... weird...

hmscott
10-23-2013, 03:26 AM
new problem, now the original drive doesnt show up at all when I replaced it.
EDIT; Restarted twice and now it shows up... weird...

well holy crap. I really have no idea what I did, I did one more clone of the main drive to the SSD and BAM booted up first try to the SSD.

Qlix0804, it sounds like there might be a connectivity issue with the drive(s) and the bay. Are they securely screwed into the tray(s) and the tray's screwed into the bay? They can pop out if you don't :)

Congrats on the successful booting of the clone to the smaller drive :)

Pitcher@asus
10-23-2013, 03:53 AM
you can buy restor CD form asus estore, also you can download asus backtracker make back up or recover.

Qlix0804
10-23-2013, 04:09 PM
you can buy restor CD form asus estore, also you can download asus backtracker make back up or recover.

do you happen to have a link to the restore disk? I did a search and could not find anything specific to the G750.

hmscott
10-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Pitcher, we have been waiting for Asus to release the G750 restore disk(s), and you seem to think one is available, but we can't find it. What is the Asus Part number for the G750 restore disks?

do you happen to have a link to the restore disk? I did a search and could not find anything specific to the G750.

Qlix0804, until there is a restore disk you could try to find a local shop that will clone one of their inventory to your drive. I think Asus will RMA to get you a new drive with the software installed, but it may cost you shipping. If you have an Asus depot locally you could call them and see if the will do it for you locally as a walk in to save time / $.

North American Asus Service Centers
http://www.service.asus.com/#!service-centers/c1tqs