PDA

View Full Version : G46vw wont detect Samsung 840 evo on bios PLEASE HELP!!!!!

josemedina1983
10-21-2013, 06:37 AM
You guys are my last hope I tried everything I can think of! So I decided to upgrade my laptop from a cosair 120gb SSD to a Samsung 840 evo SSD So I used their Migration tool installed the SSD to the laptop and it just boot it to bios Ok? so I decided to do a clean install same thing happens ok maybe is a faulty SSD so I install the SSD into my old hp laptop and it works so maybe is the Firmware I updated the SSD then Secure Clean the drive and put it back on the Asus laptop same thing happens straight to the bios. I notice the bios settings under SATA it didnt list my SSD menus were all empty So I checked if I had the latest bios which I did so I decided to try different old hard drives I had and the bios read every single harddrive except the Samsung SSD I also got this message from windows 8 install (This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk, ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in computer's Bios menu) I checked everything Im on ahci I just cant find the problem maybe you guys can help me please!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill buy one of you a beer or a scotch!!!!!!

TokoDude
10-21-2013, 02:30 PM
You got the latest BIOS version of you're laptop?
Otherwise try to update that first.

On my G75 i installed the same SSD as you.
and it had no problems with it.

josemedina1983
10-21-2013, 04:21 PM
You got the latest BIOS version of you're laptop?
Otherwise try to update that first.

On my G75 i installed the same SSD as you.
and it had no problems with it.

Yeah Im running the latest 210 bios. Im thinking maybe downgrading could solve the issue?

TokoDude
10-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Enter bios>>sata config>>enable AHCI or IDE

check if the sata controler is set for ide or ACHI mode.
if it set to ide you need to switch it to the other mode for an ssd to be seen.

josemedina1983
10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Enter bios>>sata config>>enable AHCI or IDE

check if the sata controler is set for ide or ACHI mode.
if it set to ide you need to switch it to the other mode for an ssd to be seen.

Yeah the controller by default is set to AHCI and still doesn't read the drive.

Clintlgm
10-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Ok then your system is UEFI GPT ? or BIOS MBR?
you can't mix the two. You Can downgrade from UEFI to BIOS, But not the other way.
The best way would be to clean your new SSD using Disk Part, then use Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)to clone you old disk to your new SSD

You will find guides and notes on this and clean installs in this sticky thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&p=220232#poststop)

josemedina1983
10-22-2013, 03:02 AM
I believe my system is UEFI GPT. I tried clening the SSD with the samsung tool CD but Bios will not recognize the drive but windows installation will I tried chatting with asus but they are also struggling with an answer.

PS. How to do you enable the disks controller in bios????

Clintlgm
10-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure what your G46 BIOS looks like, UEFI and SATA should be selected." NOT IDE, NOT RAID"

If you want to clone your 128 SSD to your New 840 use Maciurm Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)this program has worked very well many people here in this forum and is free.
To Clean your New 840 SSD Use Disk Part or MiniTool partition wizard.

Samsung Migration is obviously not working for you!!! I would suggest you contact Samsung tech support as to why it is not working for you.

Myk SilentShadow
10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Ok, this should help get you going. Fire up your Win7/8 Install, when you get to say the Language Selection window, hold Shift+F10. When the command prompt opens, type Diskpart. Then type select drive 0, then type clean all

This should reset your SSD back to factory setup(won't mess with the Firmware update) when it's complete, just type exit and continue with your Install.

Good luck :)

Myk

josemedina1983
10-22-2013, 05:14 PM
I wiped the drive to factory setting from the samsung tools on another computer not sure if its the same. but still no luck it seems something in the bios is not enabled after spending hours with Asus they still couldn't figure it out.

josemedina1983
10-22-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure what your G46 BIOS looks like, UEFI and SATA should be selected." NOT IDE, NOT RAID"

If you want to clone your 128 SSD to your New 840 use Maciurm Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)this program has worked very well many people here in this forum and is free.
To Clean your New 840 SSD Use Disk Part or MiniTool partition wizard.

Samsung Migration is obviously not working for you!!! I would suggest you contact Samsung tech support as to why it is not working for you. I tried different migration tools with no luck As soon as I put the SSD on my old HPdv6z the samsung SSD works like a charm! So I decided to try 2 old hard drives on my asus and everything went smooth. I'm just to the point of saying Fuc** it and asking for a refund and deal with the slow HDD but I'm gonna carry that guilt of not knowing what the problem was.

Clintlgm
10-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Well if other hard drives work in your NB, the problem must be with the Samsung SSD have you worked with there tech support?

josemedina1983
10-23-2013, 02:43 AM
Well if other hard drives work in your NB, the problem must be with the Samsung SSD have you worked with there tech support? Well the problem is not the drive since I tried the ssd on two different computers and it works perfectly.

Clintlgm
10-23-2013, 03:09 PM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx try this to help you understand UEFI GPT devices

josemedina1983
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx try this to help you understand UEFI GPT devices Asus had me reformat the drive and partition the SSD also I spent like 2 hours chatting with ASUS but no really solution hes last option was to boot the drive as a Raid and try to force the boot. Is there a specific way you can downgrade the Bios ? I can almost bet money the problem is with the bios maybe a guide ?

Clintlgm
10-23-2013, 10:30 PM
How are you attaching your original 128 SSD to your NB?
perhaps there is a connection problem?
Macurium Reflect has worked for many here maybe you should try it?
If you can't clone your old SSD to your New SSD Clean install (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29809-G75VX-is-there-a-legal-way-to-backup-Windows-8&p=240258&viewfull=1#post240258)

I am at a complete loss as to how to help you, I have passed on to you all that I know of to do. Perhaps someone more advanced will pick up and help you out.

josemedina1983
10-23-2013, 11:11 PM
How are you attaching your original 128 SSD to your NB?
perhaps there is a connection problem?
Macurium Reflect has worked for many here maybe you should try it?
If you can't clone your old SSD to your New SSD Clean install (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29809-G75VX-is-there-a-legal-way-to-backup-Windows-8&p=240258&viewfull=1#post240258)

I am at a complete loss as to how to help you, I have passed on to you all that I know of to do. Perhaps someone more advanced will pick up and help you out. I know is frustrating!!! is costing me more headaches than money I been sleeping around 1 am daily just reading and trying different methods but Thanks for the quick replies and help.

GottiBoi55
10-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Asus had me reformat the drive and partition the SSD also I spent like 2 hours chatting with ASUS but no really solution hes last option was to boot the drive as a Raid and try to force the boot. Is there a specific way you can downgrade the Bios ? I can almost bet money the problem is with the bios maybe a guide ?

Does your factory drive that came with your laptop still have the factory installed OS?
If you didn't do anything to the factory installed drive, then you can downgrade to the factory first BIOS.

You maybe right on downgrading the BIOS to fix you issue!

The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

1. Hold down Ctrl+Home
2. hit power button.
3. keep holding Ctrl+Home until you see "EZ-Flash" start.
4. Let EZ-Flash run (laptop will shut down automatically when it's finished)

This will 'Downgrade" back to the factory installed BIOS.
if that works so BIOS can find your SSD, do as follows.

Try starting over with your new SSD not formatted, wipe again clean.
Then let the "Samsung Migration tool" format the drive,
(make sure your set to UEFI boot in BIOS before hand)
After all goes well with the "migration" you can update BIOS back to latest version.

Hopefully this will fix your issue my friend

josemedina1983
10-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Does your factory drive that came with your laptop still have the factory installed OS?
If you didn't do anything to the factory installed drive, then you can downgrade to the factory first BIOS.

You maybe right on downgrading the BIOS to fix you issue!

The BIOS factory reset is as follows.

1. Hold down Ctrl+Home
2. hit power button.
3. keep holding Ctrl+Home until you see "EZ-Flash" start.
4. Let EZ-Flash run (laptop will shut down automatically when it's finished)

This will 'Downgrade" back to the factory installed BIOS.
if that works so BIOS can find your SSD, do as follows.

Try starting over with your new SSD not formatted, wipe again clean.
Then let the "Samsung Migration tool" format the drive,
(make sure your set to UEFI boot in BIOS before hand)
After all goes well with the "migration" you can update BIOS back to latest version.

Hopefully this will fix your issue my friend

I was stupid enough to format the drive and install a clean version of windows on the original drive :( I tried hitting esc to get to ez flash but as soon as I tried to flash a old version of bios it wouldn't let me the bios said it was to old is there any other way of downgrading the bios? Thanks in advance!

GottiBoi55
10-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I was stupid enough to format the drive and install a clean version of windows on the original drive :( I tried hitting esc to get to ez flash but as soon as I tried to flash a old version of bios it wouldn't let me the bios said it was to old is there any other way of downgrading the bios? Thanks in advance!

Wow, that's too bad, but don't worry you can still back flash the BIOS with "WINFLASH"
(if you don't have Winflash, download from HERE)
(http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G46VW/#support)
Here what to do my friend.
***Run @ you own risk***
(I did this before with no problem)

1. Open CMD as Admin.
2. type the following.... cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash, and hit enter.
3. Then type..... Winflash /nodate, and hit enter.
4. Next is a warning screen about "Winflash", click OK
5. This will open a "search screen" open "Look in" at top.
6. Add the BIOS file that you are going to back flash too, where you unzipped it and saved it.
7. Next hit "open"
8. This will open "winflash" (you will notice the older BIOS file version in BIOS Revision field)
9. Next click the "Flash button"
10. Let winflash run and restart you OS.

Then after all that you can reinstall your SSD!
Next start your Laptop and enter BIOS and check if the BIOS see your SSD.
If BIOS detects you SSD, you should now be able to install to your drive!

Good luck my friend, hopefully this will work for you!

josemedina1983
10-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Wow, that's too bad, but don't worry you can still back flash the BIOS with "WINFLASH"
(if you don't have Winflash, download from HERE)
(http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G46VW/#support)
Here what to do my friend.
***Run @ you own risk***
(I did this before with no problem)

1. Open CMD as Admin.
2. type the following.... cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash, and hit enter.
3. Then type..... Winflash /nodate, and hit enter.
4. Next is a warning screen about "Winflash", click OK
5. This will open a "search screen" open "Look in" at top.
6. Add the BIOS file that you are going to back flash too, where you unzipped it and saved it.
7. Next hit "open"
8. This will open "winflash" (you will notice the older BIOS file version in BIOS Revision field)
9. Next click the "Flash button"
10. Let winflash run and restart you OS.

Then after all that you can reinstall your SSD!
Next start your Laptop and enter BIOS and check if the BIOS see your SSD.
If BIOS detects you SSD, you should now be able to install to your drive!

Good luck my friend, hopefully this will work for you! Thanks! I was able to downgrade the bios but problems still continues I'm just going to return the hard drive and get another or wait for another firmware. It sucks because damn SSD works on my old laptop

GottiBoi55
10-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks! I was able to downgrade the bios but problems still continues I'm just going to return the hard drive and get another or wait for another firmware. It sucks because damn SSD works on my old laptop

You welcome!
Did you try Flashing BIOS back to the latest version with SSD installed?
Put latest BIOS version on a thumb drive and update.
BIOS just might detect it this way.

Maybe you should trade for the Samsung 840 Pro SSD, this SSD is at the top of the list for excellent performance!
Check out Fastest SSD (http://www.fastestssd.com/featured/ssd-rankings-the-fastest-solid-state-drives/), very informative the 840 Pro is number one on the list!

PS: So Samsung support is no help?

josemedina1983
10-26-2013, 05:03 AM
Well turns out I got another Ssd and same problem ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers bios menu. So I guess is the computer

GottiBoi55
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Now do you have "Secure boot disabled", and "Launch CSM enabled" in your BIOS?
If not do so, and try to install SSD!
You already now about setting to ACHI.

PS: I just realized no one asked you this question before.....LOL

josemedina1983
10-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Now do you have "Secure boot disabled", and "Launch CSM enabled" in your BIOS?
If not do so, and try to install SSD!
You already now about setting to ACHI.

PS: I just realized no one asked you this question before.....LOL

yup I think that's the problem but it seems asus took those menu options out of my bios :(

GottiBoi55
10-26-2013, 09:02 PM
yup I think that's the problem but it seems asus took those menu options out of my bios :(

You should have the options Secure Boot, and launch CSM.
These options are on all per-installed Windows 8 PCs.

Check this
Asus G46VW -just updated to BIOS 210 and now can't boot *** Solved *** (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33026-Asus-G46VW-just-updated-to-BIOS-210-and-now-can-t-boot-***-Solved-***)

josemedina1983
10-27-2013, 06:19 AM
You should have the options Secure Boot, and launch CSM.
These options are on all per-installed Windows 8 PCs.

Check this
Asus G46VW -just updated to BIOS 210 and now can't boot *** Solved *** (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33026-Asus-G46VW-just-updated-to-BIOS-210-and-now-can-t-boot-***-Solved-***)

I'm not sure WTF happened but I dont have those option in my Bios I talked to ASUS I'm sending my computer in for service I'm just puzzled why would asus would hide those Menu options especially on a Gaming laptop knowing most users like to tinker with their computers!

GottiBoi55
10-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Now do you update back to latest BIOS Version?

GottiBoi55
10-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Did a Google search, your not the only one with this problem!
Plus your been posting on many site too!

josemedina1983
10-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Did a Google search, your not the only one with this problem!
Plus your been posting on many site too! Yeah I was pretty desperate so I just decided to go on a forum rampage trying to find an answer at least. I was hoping for more in depth answer rather than just a crippled bios by ASUS. LOL

nooner1357
02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Did you ever get this problem fixed. I have the Rampage IV Extreme MB with a Samsung 840 EVO which both the BIOS and Windows installation doesn't see. Please help!

josemedina1983
06-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Did you ever get this problem fixed. I have the Rampage IV Extreme MB with a Samsung 840 EVO which both the BIOS and Windows installation doesn't see. Please help! Well for some reason my bios was locked so I was missing launch csm and other options so after reporting this problem to ASUS and another problem with the trackpad ASUS decided to replace the whole unit. Maybe your problem is different since my bios wasn't able to read the SSD but windows showed the drive but It wouldn't complete the installation something to do with enabling UEFI.