PDA

View Full Version : g74sx trackpad troubles

Cail
08-31-2011, 12:00 AM
So I recently got a g74sx-a1 and am loving it for the most part so far. The one significant trouble I am having is with regards to the trackpad. Sometimes it seems to work well but other times I have trouble with the cursor jumping around. This takes the form of two specific actions:

1. When moving the cursor horizontally as my finger gets closer to the outside edges of the pad the cursor has a tendency to jump back about halfway across the screen.

2. When moving the cursor vertically as my finger reaches a spot in the middle of the trackpad the cursor will jump up or down (the direction my finger is moving) by a couple of inches on the screen at one point.

Edit: I forgot to mention here that sometimes the trackpad behaves as though I have two fingers on when I clearly am only touching the pad with one finger andnothing else.

Things I have tried:
1. Updated to the newest BIOS
2. Updated the trackpad drivers
3. Played around with cursor speed, gestures, etc.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have also tried cleaning the trackpad thoroughly.

None of these have had much effect. My primary concern is whether there is a problem with the software or if, perhaps, my trackpad is defective in which case I should contact tech support.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Chastity@ASUS
08-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Do you have a Synaptic or Sentelic?

Cail
09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
It is a Sentelic. I have notices some small strangeness with this.

When I reinstalled the ATK and touchpad driver it seemed to work well again but the behavior seems to come and go. Beginning to think that, perhaps, there is some bugginess in the Sentellic driver.

On a side note, I wish the drivers were a bit more customizeable.

Chastity@ASUS
09-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Sounds more like the tape crap again. :(

teammate
09-12-2011, 02:41 AM
are there any fixes for this? I'm very happy with my machine but the trackpad is close to useless. by looking at the "finger sensing pad" tray icon, i randomly indicates that I am using two fingers which makes no sense. I keep wiping it and wiping up but it doesn't seem to help. what seems to help is if my finger is damp with water. but it's still buggy after that.

i really hope i didn't get a faulty trackpad, i brought my laptop home from the US and won't be able to send it back... i'm very willing to do operations on it if i have to adjust anything physically etc. :( chastityyyyyyy

Chastity@ASUS
09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I can only suggest to you what I have written many many many many times:

Adjust your sensitivity settings. This is crucial to having an accurate touchpad. Most people never touch the settings, and never explore the device options.

jsmith1642
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I also just rec'd G74SX w/ Sentlic pad. Often just approaching pad with heel of hand or hovering jumps or de-highlights. I've cleaned pad several times and double-checked to be sure I'm updated on pad and asus drivers. Same jitter problem. I can't see any sensitivity adjustment (found gestures, tap toggles, etc., but not sensitivity). Am I missing something? How is sensitivity adjusted or is there another solution?

BrodyBoy
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I also just rec'd G74SX w/ Sentlic pad. Often just approaching pad with heel of hand or hovering jumps or de-highlights. I've cleaned pad several times and double-checked to be sure I'm updated on pad and asus drivers. Same jitter problem. I can't see any sensitivity adjustment (found gestures, tap toggles, etc., but not sensitivity). Am I missing something? How is sensitivity adjusted or is there another solution?
The best you can do, via software, is to make sure "Disable while typing" is engaged and the reactivation time is 1.5 or more, if you're using the original driver (9.1.3.5). When you say you've cleaned it, what exactly do you mean?

dstrakele
11-01-2011, 06:32 PM
The latest Sentelic v. 9.1.7.7 driver has (IMO) a better solution for disabling the touchpad while typing.

If you experience erratic cursor movement in normal touchpad use, read http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems&p=35389&viewfull=1#post35389 starting at the post I referenced to the end. BrodyBoy has the most experience with this type of touchpad issue, so key on his posts in the thread.

jsmith1642
11-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Cleaned the Pad to make sure all gunk in off.

BrodyBoy
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Do you mean the back of the touchpad? And does "gunk" mean you removed the insulating foam and the grounding tape? Your description still isn't very clear.

Ewalach
12-21-2011, 06:26 AM
About the touchpad of the G74sx
Hi everyone... I've been reading about the issues of the touchpad... The first thing I must say is that the scroll was really useless because it didn't respond very well... the zoom in and zoom out functions were unestable... etc.

I downloaded the 9.1.7.7 version and now it's a little bit better than the previous version... the scroll function now respond very well (very close to the macs touchpad), the zoom fine... and must of all... in the previous version you could disable the touchpad for some seconds while you were typing... the 9.1.7.7 has something called asus smartsense that allows to disable some areas of the touchpad to let you write without touching it... it's similar to the previous "respond after x seconds of typing". Personally it's useless for me cause I use Photoshop and I must use the touchpad and the keyboard at the same time for some functions... but maybe is useful for some people to avoid touching the touchpad while you are typing.

Another thing I must say is that with the previous version I couldn't disable the touchpad at all. And I mean without a usb mouse... when I had a usb mouse plugged in, the touchpad was disabled, but I couldn't disable it if a usb mouse wasn't plugged in... With this version I can disable it if a mouse is not plugged...

Try that version, the 9.1.7.7... I don't remember very well, but I guess I found it in the Asus web...

Finally, sorry for the bad english... I am not from USA... XD

BrodyBoy
12-21-2011, 06:53 AM
About the touchpad of the G74sx
Hi everyone... I've been reading about the issues of the touchpad...

Try that version, the 9.1.7.7... I don't remember very well, but I guess I found it in the Asus web...

I think many owners are aware of the different drivers available, and how they differ. But I'm sure your insights will be useful to some who might still be trying to decide which one they want.

But driver selection isn't really the touchpad issue you probably read about with some G74s (and G73s). It's a hardware failure, unfortunately, and drivers don't help. :(