PDA

View Full Version : So is it screen faulty ?

chriswild2
10-23-2013, 03:04 AM
I have Asus g750 JW and I could notice that screen flickering right of the batch with the ROG desktop background at the first boot up. So is it the screen faulty or is it driver or hardware issues? I played around with refresh rate and around 65hz I can see some stable images. Anyone figured out the good refresh rate?

hmscott
10-23-2013, 03:31 AM
I have Asus g750 JW and I could notice that screen flickering right of the batch with the ROG desktop background at the first boot up. So is it the screen faulty or is it driver or hardware issues? I played around with refresh rate and around 65hz I can see some stable images. Anyone figured out the good refresh rate?

Flickering how? Like going to black and then coming back? Or, is it a flashing like here on images 4a/4b?

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

I run at 100hz, and I don't see those images flicker, but at 60hz I do seem them flicker.

If you are getting the going to dark kind of flicker, it might just be software loading at boot time. You could always update to the latest Nvidia drivers, and do a clean install - Custom, then check the "clean install" checkbox.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/68502

Pitcher@asus
10-23-2013, 03:50 AM
please update driver first and try set rate, if not help, please sent to service center, it may be HW problem.

Skolastika
10-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I have the same problem as well. Setting the refresh rate to 40Hz seems to help, but a refresh rate of only 40Hz is a bit low. I'm worried that in the long run it'll cause eye strain, even though at the moment it's better than 60Hz. I've seen people suggesting custom refresh rates, but I'm wondering how high a refresh rate I can set without damaging the screen? Or is the hardware indeed faulty, and the screen incapable of a refresh rate higher than 40Hz?

Edit: Just found that on certain background pictures I do see some horizontal flickering with 40Hz as well. So it definitely is not a good refresh rate either. Funnily enough, where I see flicker with 40Hz, I don't see it with 60Hz, and vice versa.

Pierre990429
10-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Which screen do you have ?

chriswild2
10-24-2013, 08:42 AM
I have the same problem as well. Setting the refresh rate to 40Hz seems to help, but a refresh rate of only 40Hz is a bit low. I'm worried that in the long run it'll cause eye strain, even though at the moment it's better than 60Hz. I've seen people suggesting custom refresh rates, but I'm wondering how high a refresh rate I can set without damaging the screen? Or is the hardware indeed faulty, and the screen incapable of a refresh rate higher than 40Hz?

Edit: Just found that on certain background pictures I do see some horizontal flickering with 40Hz as well. So it definitely is not a good refresh rate either. Funnily enough, where I see flicker with 40Hz, I don't see it with 60Hz, and vice versa.

It's so weird that you get that problem at 40hz. Anything below 60hz my eyes starts watering, too much strain. And definitely the screen can support atleast 100hz . I can see the screen flicker more after i get past 80hz. So far 64-66 hz has been working great for me.

chriswild2
10-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Which screen do you have ?

How do i find that?

Pierre990429
10-24-2013, 10:17 AM
How do i find that?
Try Aida64 : http://www.aida64.com/downloads

Even the free trial version gives you monitor info.

If you are in the US, chances are you have the Chi Mei. Most AUO monitor owners I've heard of are in Europe.(Many German users report the vertical lines issue in the AUO (see the other thread), so I'm not seeing things.ASUS probably knows this but won't acknowledge it)

I also got flickering (sometimes more visible on the left of the screen, sometimes on the right), and created a 70 Hz refresh rate (so no more flickering ; the vertical lines are another flaw of the screen). But it isn't normal to have to do this. A LCD screen should be perfect at 60 Hz.

iweber95
10-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I run at 100hz

Do you have the 3D screen?

If not how can I set my matte screen to run above 60Hz?

hmscott
10-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Do you have the 3D screen?

If not how can I set my matte screen to run above 60Hz?

No, I have the Chi Mei Matte screen.

iweber95
10-24-2013, 03:46 PM
No, I have the Chi Mei Matte screen.

How can I set mine to go above 60Hz?

In the setting I only see 60Hz and 40Hz

MrRuckus
10-24-2013, 03:51 PM
How can I set mine to go above 60Hz?

In the setting I only see 60Hz and 40Hz

Go to Nvidia Control Panel, under change resolution, down at the bottom hit "customize". Then "Create Custom Resolution" Change only the Refresh rate too 100Hz and apply it. That should do it.

Just for reference I also have the Chi Mei Matte screen.

iweber95
10-24-2013, 03:52 PM
Go to Nvidia Control Panel, under change resolution, down at the bottom hit "customize". Then "Create Custom Resolution" Change only the Refresh rate too 100Hz and apply it. That should do it.

Just for reference I also have the Chi Mei Matte screen.

Thanks a lot man, got the custom refresh rating going now :)

Skolastika
10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
I ended up going back to the store and got a replacement as they could see the screen flickering right away. Unfortunately this one has the screen issue too, and on top of that the touchpad is behaving erratically as well. I'm beginning to lose faith in the quality of the G750 :( On principle, I expect a new laptop to work straight out of the box, and not having to do iffy configurations like setting the refresh rate beyond what is available by default. I'm also worried that if there are so many problems with this model, even if I do get a properly functioning piece, will it last for long?

I didn't check the panel model on the previous one, but on this one it's a Chi Mei 173HGE.

I'm also wondering if the slightly pricier G750JX would be of a higher quality? Or is it just the same regarding the screen etc?

Edit: So, from what I gather, the Chi Mei screen is a really sucky one with lots of faulty ones circling about. I find it unbelievable though that so many brands that have 17" laptops use this screen panel. Dell has used it (and noticed the lack of quality and replaced it!), and MSI uses it as well. It doesn't look like there are so many complaints about horizontal flickering on MSI though. Did Asus just happen to buy a particularly poor batch? Are all the flickering screens manufactured around week 2, 2011?