PDA

View Full Version : [G750jw] Need help on replacing main hard drive

Jyml8582
10-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi all,

Just got my G750 laptop. I previously had a G73S with 2 hard drives. Since I didn't want to use windows 8 so I figures I could just take out the hard drive and put my old ones in.

As soon as I did that the laptop boots directly into the BIOS. I don't see any boot options under boot priority and exiting BIOS only brings me right back in. Does the laptop only works with the original hard drive? That seem a bit unlikely, but I don't know what else to do.

Can someone shed some light for me? How do I use my old drive on my new G750?

cl-Albert
10-23-2013, 07:30 PM
You may want to get more opinions since it's not something I know a whole lot about, but wouldn't recommend it myself.
It's usually better to start over with a clean installation whenever you can.

If you still want to try it, go to your bios to enable CSM under the 'boot' menu and disable secure boot under the 'security' menu, which should allow you to start booting your G73S hard drive on the G750, but it may not work well and you may not be able to use that G73S boot drive anymore on the G73S (I remember WinXP didn't like being moved to a different system, but not sure how Win7 will act) if something bad happens to windows, so just make sure you really want to try it (I may be a bit of a worrier).

You probably have good reasons that you don't want to start over with a new system, but if you want some tips about transferring data and using Win8, etc., let us know.

Otherwise, hopefully others can provide better suggestions.

villiansv
10-23-2013, 08:26 PM
YOu can't just stick in the old laptop drive and expect it to work. It will very likely never boot, or bluescreen during bootup. From the point of view of the OS installed on the harddrive, EVERYTHING about the computer changed at once - while it can handle 1-2 devices being changed, everything at once is a no-go. Perhaps if the hardware were similar, but even then I doubt it.

TL: DR - clean install windows on the old drive, if it's faster than the drives you got with the G750. If not, might as well just stay with what the laptop came with and transfer the needed files over.

DeltaActual
10-23-2013, 08:30 PM
YOu can't just stick in the old laptop drive and expect it to work. It will very likely never boot, or bluescreen during bootup. From the point of view of the OS installed on the harddrive, EVERYTHING about the computer changed at once - while it can handle 1-2 devices being changed, everything at once is a no-go. Perhaps if the hardware were similar, but even then I doubt it.

TL: DR - clean install windows on the old drive, if it's faster than the drives you got with the G750. If not, might as well just stay with what the laptop came with and transfer the needed files over.
^^This man speaks the truth. And also, stick with Windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1. You won't regret it.

BlackHawk
10-24-2013, 02:58 AM
^^This man speaks the truth. And also, stick with Windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1. You won't regret it.

Besides the fact that I have to reenable UAC again just to launch the store to upgrade it to 8.1 with little or no actual performance improvements to the desktop environment as compared to windows 8... the issue is probably that he did not disable secure boot and quick boot or something like that in the bios. You need to turn those off as windows 7 does not support them. Solving whatever driver incompatibilities and stuff should be a piece of cake after you get it booted up.

rudydevolder
11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
I have the same problem, building my SSD 512Gb from my Asus NJ73JQ, I am a computer technician myself with lot of experiance, but this one is new for me. The system seems not even try to boot.
I've build over my harddisk before from my 7 years old Asus to my NJ73JQ with Windows succesfully. With Xp it doesn't work, but with Windows 7 it's often fairly easy. I'll try further on, I made a backup with Acronis and have Universal restore wich restores without windows-drivers and being able to plug new drivers when restoring, I hope this will do the trick.
But if anyone has a idea to get it booting without this hassle, I'll be thankfull ;-)

cl-Albert
11-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I have the same problem, building my SSD 512Gb from my Asus NJ73JQ, I am a computer technician myself with lot of experiance, but this one is new for me. The system seems not even try to boot.
I've build over my harddisk before from my 7 years old Asus to my NJ73JQ with Windows succesfully. With Xp it doesn't work, but with Windows 7 it's often fairly easy. I'll try further on, I made a backup with Acronis and have Universal restore wich restores without windows-drivers and being able to plug new drivers when restoring, I hope this will do the trick.
But if anyone has a idea to get it booting without this hassle, I'll be thankfull ;-)

Hi, assuming you have a G750 model now, did you tried to disable the aforementioned secure boot (under the security menu) and enable the 'launch CSM' (under the boot menu) bios settings?
Just curious if they made any difference, but we're expecting they would help some at least.