PDA

View Full Version : G75vw will only boot to BIOS. HDD/DVD-Drive undetectable

Ooshi
10-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Good day everyone,

I currently use an Asus G750vw that I bought a little over 6 months back. I was using it regularly and it worked flawlessly up-till today. The previous night, my laptop would not turn off after pressing shutdown and remained in a black screen with it's backlight on. I closed the lid and went to check on it 10 - 15 minutes later only to find that it was still on and the black screen remained with the backlight on.

Thinking of no other solution, I removed the battery and 30 minutes later or so, I turned the laptop back on. Only to find out that it automatically booted into the BIOS, not windows 8.

Upon checking even further, I had noticed that my HDD could not be detected by the laptop, ie. Why it would not boot into windows 8. I tried every solution I could find on the forums such as disabling the secure boot and fast boot, enabling launch csm and the such but none seems to work.

I thought my BIOS would have to do something with the problem but I later shrugged off the idea. My BIOS is currently on version 218. (Just in case anybody might find this useful.

Luckily, I have a warranty but there is no Asus service center nearby and I urgently need to use the laptop. The last solution I found online was to re-seat (Disconnect and Reconnect) the hard drive. I am aware that this will make the warranty void but this is the only solution I have left and I am wondering if this is worth the risk.

Any help is appreciated.

TL;DR

Laptop (G750vw) only boots to BIOS, not windows 8.
Cannot detect HDD/DVD-Drive
Tried many solutions found on the forums, none works.

I hope someone may be able to help me with this problem.
Thank you and have a nice day!

cl-Albert
10-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the forums!
You may want to double-check the model under your notebook again since ASUS doesn't have the G750VW model, but there is the G75VW which you probably have.

Anyway, if your bios does not detect the hard drive under 'advanced'/SATA Configuration and the connections are good, it's likely your hard drive has just gone bad.
If the notebook has been working fine for 6 months, it's not very likely that reseating your hard drive will make any difference, but you never can tell until you take a look.

If it helps at all, you may want to talk it over with your local ASUS support through this page (http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#) (select your region on the left) about how much trouble you can get into opening the unit (there should be plenty of people on these forums who do this for hard drive and memory upgrades although they usually have some idea what they are doing and might not always be that concerned about warranty either).

Hopefully someone else can think of a way to get it working, but if the hard drive is bad, it just needs to be replaced.

Also, don't suppose your unit came with 2 hard drives and you can install Windows on the other hard drive if you don't want to send back the notebook for repair right away?

Ooshi
10-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Long Reply Above

Thank you for your reply cl-Albert.

Yes, you are right. I mistyped my laptop model. It is a G75VW. The 0 was an accident.

I found out that the Hard Drive did burn out and got a new HDD to replace my old Hard Drive.
I installed the new Hard Drive and tinkered with the BIOS because it could not detect my new Hard Drive (with the default settings).
It worked for about 6 hours and I was prompted to reboot the laptop after downloading Windows updates.

I worked again with the BIOS to have a faster boot.
(F9 then optimize default, then F10 save and exit)

After that, the laptop restarted but the display was gone. (Dead as in no backlight either)
I had no other solution but to send it to an ASUS CENTER near my area.

When I got the laptop checked, the technicians told me that the Motherboard must be replaced. I can't understand how that happened. Can a motherboard be damaged from modifying BIOS settings? Or is there any software/hardware incompatibilities which may damage the motherboard?

Your immediate reply is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

cl-Albert
10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
@Ooshi, changing G75VW bios settings normally shouldn't cause any hardware issues and if you were using all the original factory hardware, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to cause this although if you can think of anything unusual in the way you are using the notebook or in your environment, you may want to discuss more wtih us or your local ASUS support.

It's difficult to say without further analysis, but it's possible there was some problem with the motherboard that caused your original hard drive to go bad (?) or the bad hard drive damaged your motherboard (really not sure how likely this is)?
It does seem a little unusual for something to happen to the motherboard, but you never know, and you may want to talk it over with your ASUS service center if you haven't arleady.

Taklimi
12-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I know that most of you have a lot of problems for migrating from preinstalled Windows 8 (HDD) to your new SSD in ASUS G75VW-AH71. I had it too and I think I solved it. This is the way that works for me and hope it will be useful for you guys too.
1. Belarc Advisor is one of my favorite free system information tools, and you can find the product key of your Windows 8. Download and install it and then Run it. It gives you and HTML file that can be opened by any Explorer and you can see your Windows 8 Product Key. (Honestly, you donít need this key because your key has been saved in your BIOS too. But it is a safe way to have your key and write it in a place. You can download Belarc Advisor v8.4 from here (http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisorinstaller.exe).
2. Also, you need to have a Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN. Here is the link that you can download it by torrent.
Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN (http://thepiratebay.ac/torrent/7990261/Windows_8_(RTM)_Build_9200_(32bit___64bit)_MSDN___ Activator)
Donít worry about Serial number or anything. We use or serial number that comes with our laptop and it is legal.
3. Put this Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN DVD in DVD write.
4. Now you are ready for Process.
5. Remove the 750GB HDD from computer. (I am sure you can do it easily)
6. Install your New SSD in other place for hard in back of your laptop.
7. Now is the part that you should be careful: We should change BIOS and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
8. Start computer and press Delete button many times to go to your BIOS screen.
9. Go to Advanced menu and then check SATA Configuration menu. Now you should see only your SSD and DVD Writer.
10. Now go back to Boot menu and disable Fast Boot.
11. Enable Lunch CSM.
12. Enable Lunch PXE OpROM.
13. In Boot Option #1 select DVD Writer.
14. Go to Security menu, and then select Secure Boot Control and Disable it. (Important)
15. Go to Save & Exit menu and click on Save Changes and Exit.
16. Now your system tries to install Windows 8 from DVD.
17. You should not have any problem with installation of DVD. It doesnít require any Key for windows because the key of your original windows has been saved in system and it automatically add to your windows. Later when you connect to internet, the windows will be activated. (It is simple and you shouldnít do anything)
18. After finishing Installation of Windows 8, you can download and install all software and drivers of ASUS G75VW from manufacture site. (Driver and Support Link (http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/#support))
19. Your process is finished now and you can enjoy your windows
20. For adding you other original 750GB Hard, you will go to your BIOS again and go to Save & Exit menu. Then select Restore Defaults and later select Save Changes and Exit.
21. Now check your windows again. Everything should work fine.
22. Shut Down the computer.
23. Remove Battery
24. Install your original 750GB Hard drive.
25. Put back the Battery.
26. Restart your Computer.
27. Now you should see your new hard drive in My Computer.

I didnít delete or format my original 750GB hard, and base on that, I have the ability to Dual boot to my original preinstalled Windows 8 and my new one that I installed it in SSD. (Definitely I usually use my SSD one because it is extraordinarily fast near 5 sec for reaching to my Desktop screen!!!!!)

For selecting which OS boot first you should go to your BIOS and then Boot menu and under Boot Option Priorities, select Boot Option #1 and then select your OS from (SSD or HDD)