PDA

View Full Version : My g750jx issue

PigHead
10-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Hi!
I just got an g750jx and ran a benchmark test but its performing a lot worse than other g750jx users. I ran this test here http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1483156 and got 500+ on fire strike but i have seen others get 3000+ (non oc). Is it a defect on my gpu or cpu? I have tried updating my bios to ver 208, updating my gtx 770m drivers and uninstalling + resinstalling, restore pc to factory default but im still getting the same benchmark. Does anyone know why its like this and how to fix it?

PigHead
10-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Is my Asus defect? I noticed ppls getting 3.4ghz on turbo for the cpu while mine shows 800 mhz on turbo in the benchmark or is that normal?

Nehmia
10-27-2013, 09:06 AM
do a clean install of windows 8.1 (google G750JX windows 8.1 clean install guide)

abeepak1
10-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Before you do that, did you check Power4Gear and see if its on high performance mode?

PigHead
10-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Its on high performance. I have tried uninstalling power4gear as well, and only use the high performance mode on windows, still the same sadly.
Sorry if im noob, but what does a clean install of windows 8.1 do?

PigHead
10-27-2013, 01:44 PM
I noticed something else while testing a benchmark from final fantasy 14 arr. My gpus core and memory clock speed stays the same all the time even if i run the benchmark. Gpu core clock is 135 mhz and gpu memory clock is 202.5 mhz. Idle or in benchmark it stays the same no matter what. But the gpu load did go up to 99% when i ran the benchmark. Temperature didnt top over 50. Anyone got any idea why it is like that?

DeltaActual
10-27-2013, 07:26 PM
are you plugged in?

PigHead
10-27-2013, 07:33 PM
yup plugged ;P

Nehmia
10-27-2013, 07:48 PM
A clean install will:

1) have a clean formatted drive with a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 installed on it

2) install the latest updated drivers

3) it is better than uninstalling the bloatware that comes preinstalled on the laptop because those might leave registry remnants that are hard to clean, if you use a registry cleaner, it might screw up your entire laptop, so clean install is best, since you have a fresh registry

4) installing the new drivers fresh is better than updating since no conflicts will occurs

5) you will get the highest and best performance possible

Downside to a clean install, you will lose your ASUS recovery partition, not that I ever care about that crappy ASUS Windows 8 installation anyways, but just letting you know

hmscott
10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi!
I just got an g750jx and ran a benchmark test but its performing a lot worse than other g750jx users. I ran this test here http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1483156 and got 500+ on fire strike but i have seen others get 3000+ (non oc). Is it a defect on my gpu or cpu? I have tried updating my bios to ver 208, updating my gtx 770m drivers and uninstalling + resinstalling, restore pc to factory default but im still getting the same benchmark. Does anyone know why its like this and how to fix it?

There are a couple of things that can limit CPU speed under AC power.

Start with the Power Plan, with the 208 BIOS the Asus Power4Gear plans caused problems for me, and so I uninstalled them and use the Windows Balanced (most of the time), and High Performance (when benchmarking).

Within the Power Plan, for the Balanced Plan I set the Processor Min to 0%, and the Processor Max to 100%, and set Cooling to Active/Active. For the High Performance Plan I use the same settings except for Processor Min I set to 100% - better benchmark numbers when the CPU speed isn't going up/down on demand.

The other trick is that by setting the CPU Max to 99% (under 100%) you disable Turbo mode. That will limit CPU power draw/heat/speed.

If you have Intel Xtreme CPU Tuning Utility installed you could have bad/corrupt settings - make sure you have the latest version, 4.2.0.8 last time I checked, and select and apply the Default settings - if that fixes it then delete your old saved settings and re-save your favorite settings.

Changing the Power Plan / Power Plan settings is likely it.

If it is something else, please let us know what it was :)

Here are my G750JX 3dmark scores using XTU to set max multipliers and Asus GPU Tweak tool for 5500mhz memory/932mhz base GPU:
http://www.3dmark.com/is/871697
http://www.3dmark.com/cg/776752
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/855082

Asus GPU Tweak Tool (new version for Windows 8.1)
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=gpu%20tweak

Intel XTU
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

XTU Maxfinal -50mv Profile:

XTU Default -50mv Profile:

Those scores are with the Asus Windows 8.0 standard install, plus updates, and I uninstalled the Asus Splendid and Asus Power4gear software, everything else is still installed.

hmscott
10-28-2013, 12:58 AM
I noticed something else while testing a benchmark from final fantasy 14 arr. My gpus core and memory clock speed stays the same all the time even if i run the benchmark. Gpu core clock is 135 mhz and gpu memory clock is 202.5 mhz. Idle or in benchmark it stays the same no matter what. But the gpu load did go up to 99% when i ran the benchmark. Temperature didnt top over 50. Anyone got any idea why it is like that?

You must have interrupted power and were running on battery at that time.

The 135mhz GPU setting is the clue, when on battery the GPU drops down to 135mhz, and nothing else I have seen causes that.

Check your wall switch did you turn off the light / switched power socket to your AC adpater / power strip, did your power strip switch get bumped, is your power cord in the socket/laptop all the way?

Check your battery indicator in the systray, is it charging or draining - showing time left instead of charging?

PigHead
10-28-2013, 08:11 AM
I have tried restoring to factory default again and without updating anything to see if the problem stays and it did sadly. After I have tried uninstalling asus power4gear and asus splendid but the problem stayed as well. I don't have the Intel extreme tuning utility so I don't think its that. Im gonna try uninstalling the graphic drivers one last time and only use the one from asus and see what happens. If it doesnt work, I think I will have to try a clean install of windows 8.
If you guys got more ideas for why it could be like that feel free to tell me xD. And thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciated ;D. I reached my wits end but now I see some light again xD. I will let you guys know how it turns out ;P.

hmscott
10-28-2013, 10:46 AM
I have tried restoring to factory default again and without updating anything to see if the problem stays and it did sadly. After I have tried uninstalling asus power4gear and asus splendid but the problem stayed as well. I don't have the Intel extreme tuning utility so I don't think its that. Im gonna try uninstalling the graphic drivers one last time and only use the one from asus and see what happens. If it doesnt work, I think I will have to try a clean install of windows 8.
If you guys got more ideas for why it could be like that feel free to tell me xD. And thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciated ;D. I reached my wits end but now I see some light again xD. I will let you guys know how it turns out ;P.

Take a break and let it run as is for now, doing a clean Windows 8/8.1 will put you into a lessor position for support from Asus. They will support you but their recommendations won't all apply.

If you did a complete restore of the OS, not a refresh, from the recovery partition, you should have a vanilla Asus Windows 8 release the same as from the factory, with all tuning/installs/changes erased. If you are still having a problem, it isn't the OS, it is the hardware - or the BIOS.

Get into the BIOS (are you on the latest BIOS?) and Set to Defaults, reboot and see if the problem is gone.

Otherwise, file a Technical Inquiry through Asus as a registered member at:
https://vip.asus.com

See what Asus has to say before blowing away the OS install with a non-Asus clean install. There are quite a few disadvantages running a clean install, and no advantages - unless you blew away the original install without backing it up. As long as you can still do a restore from recovery - keep that option open to you.

hmscott
10-28-2013, 11:06 AM
A clean install will:
1) have a clean formatted drive with a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 installed on it
2) install the latest updated drivers
3) it is better than uninstalling the bloatware that comes preinstalled on the laptop because those might leave registry remnants that are hard to clean, if you use a registry cleaner, it might screw up your entire laptop, so clean install is best, since you have a fresh registry
4) installing the new drivers fresh is better than updating since no conflicts will occurs
5) you will get the highest and best performance possible
Downside to a clean install, you will lose your ASUS recovery partition, not that I ever care about that crappy ASUS Windows 8 installation anyways, but just letting you know

The worst thing is, you are directing people with perfectly good installs of Windows from Asus to erase that OEM release - and erase their support from Asus. They are going from a supported configuration, to one that has less support from Asus.

The second worst thing you are doing is removing their ability to run the newest Nvidia drivers with support for new games, and bug fixes for old games. You are taking away from the main function of the ROG Gaming laptop, running games.

There are absolutely no advantages to doing a clean install and abandoning the hard work the Asus engineers put in to building this awesome laptop.

Please stop ruining other peoples G750 experience by taking them down the road of a clean install when they absolutely don't need it.

You only needed it because you erased the original install when trying to make Windows 7 work on the G750, even though Asus didn't provide drivers for Windows 7. You were forced to figure out how to recover from that unfortunate decision and get your G750 working again.

Everyone else that has an original Asus install gains nothing by doing a clean Windows install and abandoning the Asus build. Nothing.

Everyone else doesn't need to suffer because you didn't back up your original Asus OEM install and were forced to figure out how to do a clean install with out Asus assistance. Please stop.

Again, there is no reason to do a clean install. It provides no advantages over the Asus build, and many disadvantages.

PigHead
10-28-2013, 04:10 PM
You must have interrupted power and were running on battery at that time.

The 135mhz GPU setting is the clue, when on battery the GPU drops down to 135mhz, and nothing else I have seen causes that.

Check your wall switch did you turn off the light / switched power socket to your AC adpater / power strip, did your power strip switch get bumped, is your power cord in the socket/laptop all the way?

Check your battery indicator in the systray, is it charging or draining - showing time left instead of charging?

I have been using the cord only since I bought it. I have only been using the battery when I tried updating bios before I restored to factory default. I have kept the battery on since, but im sure its not on battery mode since the battery is on 99/100% all time.

PigHead
10-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Gonna try contacting Asus when I get home and update bios/drivers and maybe windows to see what happens. I guess I will wait with the clean install of windows 8 since the case is like that ;o.

Anyway, thanks again guys! Helps lots ;D.

PigHead
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Filed a technical inquiry to Asus, updated nvidia drivers and nvidia geforce experience, bios ver 208, updating windows until theres no more updates.

PigHead
10-29-2013, 07:58 AM
The problem remains sadly. Nothing I try helps, im starting to think its hardware problem. But I will see what asus say. Please god of computers let it not be hardware problem!

BlapX
10-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Pighead, i hope Someone at Asus is gonna find a fix for you soon! I am glad nothing like this happened to me.

Been running all the latest games just fine, Keep us up to date man. Tried installing Windows 8.1? Maybe that does anything for you.

Otherwise... install "AIDA64 Extreme Edition" and see what it says about your hardware? I really find it a helpfull program showing all the hardware and if something is not working correct u should also be able to see that.

Keep us up 2 date ok?

Best regards, Blap X

PigHead
10-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Asus have replied me, faster than i expected xD. I will see how it goes ;P. So far they have only told me to restore to default since i forgot to mention i already did when i filed an inquiry. But hopefully they will find a fix.
I might try windows 8.1 later on, but i just downloaded AIDA64 extreme edition. I will test it and see if i can find anything from it ;P.

I will keep you guys updated ;D. And thanks a lot for all the posts and helps!

iweber95
10-30-2013, 03:29 PM
It seems like your computer is thinking that you are not plugged into a power supply. However if you have 208 bios you can stop the throttling by going into the power management settings:

(Advanced Power Settings/Processor Power Management/Min/Max Power Settings)

PigHead
10-30-2013, 04:33 PM
It seems like your computer is thinking that you are not plugged into a power supply. However if you have 208 bios you can stop the throttling by going into the power management settings:

(Advanced Power Settings/Processor Power Management/Min/Max Power Settings)

I have tried that (minimum on 100% both plugged and bat, same for maximum) but the problem is still there ;S. It could be possible that something is keeping the gpu from going full power or its just the hardware that have problem >.<
Also a noob question: Does the bios upgrade stay even if i recover to factory default? I thought i had to upgrade again but it seems my bios is still 208.

PigHead
10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/10/30/7pg.png
;s