PDA

View Full Version : G750JX "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" issue

jarvismao
10-27-2013, 02:21 PM
My labtop is G750JX. A week ago, when I played games, my sceen suddenly became black , and after 2 seconds, it brighted again and it showed "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". The situation is very bad, I can‘t play any games. And I already send it to the ASUS service centre, when I took back they did't fix this problem. Can anyone help me to fix this problem? Thank you very much!

Pierre990429
10-27-2013, 03:12 PM
did you change the default 311.83 drivers ?

do you have a IEHIGHUTIL process running ? (malware bitcoin mining)

Nehmia
10-27-2013, 04:01 PM
that happens when you install the nVIDIA drivers from nVIDIA's site, you should always install ASUS drivers even if they are bit old they are designed to work 100% with your laptop

I had the same issue and had to format and do a clean install and am never gonna download any driver other than from ASUS

hmscott
10-27-2013, 08:41 PM
that happens when you install the nVIDIA drivers from nVIDIA's site, you should always install ASUS drivers even if they are bit old they are designed to work 100% with your laptop

I had the same issue and had to format and do a clean install and am never gonna download any driver other than from ASUS

jarvismao, Nehmia is incorrect in this instance.

The drivers from Nvidia are aok to use. If the Nvidia driver installs (the installer checks to see if it is compatible), then it will work fine. There are always bugs introduced with new drivers, sometimes as many as they fix, but I have used them myself for benchmarking, heavy CUDA processing, and hours of BF4 beta at Overclocked speeds without any problems.

The Nvidia drivers for Windows 8 since 320.49 and Windows 8.1 since 327.23 have all worked fine in my Asus G750JX (and previously my G750JW - Windows 8).

I am currently using the Nvidia 331.58 WHQL driver without issues. And I am running my GTX770m at 932mhz/5200mhz OC speeds, without any driver resets.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/68502

If you are having driver crashes it could be your laptop GPU isn't up to snuff. If you do a clean install of the newest Nvidia driver and still have driver crashes at default GPU/CPU speeds, in multiple applications, then you need to RMA your laptop with Asus - or return it to your vendor for replacement. The problem won't get better.

You can do a clean install by selecting the Nvidia Custom install option, and clicking on the "Clean Install" checkbox. The installer will uninstall the old driver/software and then either install the new software immediately or request a reboot and install upon logging in again.

If you still get display driver resets/crashes like you have been, you can try refreshing or restoring your Windows install using F9 at BIOS post / Windows start. Then run without updating the video driver for a while and see if you get display driver resets/crashes.

BTW, I did a Windows 8.1 update on the vanilla Asus OEM Windows 8 install that came with the laptop, and I haven't had any problems that required doing a clean install. That is a waste of time in my experience for Windows 8/8.1

Let us know what you find. :)

hmscott
10-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Nehmia, the problems you had were due to erasing your Asus Original Windows 8 OEM hard disk and installing Windows 7. You couldn't find drivers to work at the time, and needed to restore back to Windows 8 and couldn't because you erased the Asus Windows 8 install/recovery on the original disk.

All of the time you wasted trying to get back to a clean install isn't the path everyone else needs to take.

For those that have the original Asus Windows 8 install/recovery disk they can safely do the Windows 8.1 update.

They don't need to recovery from your mistake, they can follow the normal update path and not spend a lot of time doing a Windows Clean install.

It is still recommended by Asus to do a Asus Backtracker backup when you get your Asus G750 just in case you need to recover from a dead disk or need to migrate to an SSD or another HD.

For me I preserved my original disk after cloning it to an SSD. HD's are cheap enough these days to use them for dedicated backup. Now all I need to do to get my G750 serviced, if I need it, is to pop in the original disk.

Your fear of non-Asus drivers isn't normal, and the rest of us don't share it :)

Nehmia
10-27-2013, 09:20 PM
well with all do respect bro, when I was on the ASUS driver for nVIDIA, it was fine, the moment I upgraded to the nVIDIA driver 331.58 my OS wouldn't even restart anymore

hmscott
10-27-2013, 09:47 PM
well with all do respect bro, when I was on the ASUS driver for nVIDIA, it was fine, the moment I upgraded to the nVIDIA driver 331.58 my OS wouldn't even restart anymore

You don't have an Asus tested install, you have a roll your own custom Windows 8.1 clean install, you can't recommend things to a group of people all running Asus Windows 8.0 OEM installs + 8.1 update because we all run the Nvidia drivers just fine.

Please support your Windows Clean Install threads on other sites (they were removed here), and leave the OEM standard install help / support to those that still have original Asus Windows OEM installs.

I know you are trying to help, but you are pointing people in the wrong direction, because you are not on the same path they are. :)

villiansv
10-27-2013, 09:52 PM
This is kind of getting off topic :). I agree that fear of non-asus drivers is unfounded, and have been running every beta/official nvidia that has come out since I got the laptop with no issues. There is no real reason not to install new drivers as they come out, naturally if you have mission-critical needs you should be following a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy.

With any new OS that adds a new driver model, like Win 8.1 (WDDM 1.3) it makes sense to try out the new drivers that were designed with this in mind. Sure, it's backwards-compatible, but there could always be hiccups.

That being said, we still don't know what OS the OP is running, nor what driver version he has installed. Until he clarifies that, any suggestions we make are pure speculation.

hmscott
10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
That being said, we still don't know what OS the OP is running, nor what driver version he has installed. Until he clarifies that, any suggestions we make are pure speculation.

I am assuming that when someone asks a question here they have the standard / original Asus Windows installed, unless they say differently - which most people do.

jarvismao has said he sent his laptop in to Asus for service and Asus won't support non-standard installs - they ask you to please do a refresh/restore from the recovery partition as part of the debugging steps. This also helped me to assume he has the standard install.

I don't usually reply into Windows 7/8/8.1 clean install problem threads as I don't have that configuration, but if someone is trying to recover back to the standard install via recovery, or looking to backup their Asus OEM install before erasing their original install I do try to help them do the back up or preserve the Original Asus OEM build disk.

Nehmia (under a different name) came to me to try to get an original Asus 8.0 build to recover from not being able to get Windows 7 to work correctly. This is a long saga of recovery for Nehmia, and he went down the path of a clean install - which is fine as it was his only choice other than returning his laptop or getting Asus to RMA it to restore the disk, but Nehima is going around trying to convince everyone that a Clean install is the only way to happiness and to stay away from perfectly good Nvidia WHQL drivers, which is silly.

Again, I know Nehmia is trying to help, but his odd man out custom configuration limits him from knowing what good advice to give people with standard Asus installs. That is all I am trying to say.

I like Nehmia, and I have always tried to help him, and I am happy he is happy with his custom clean install, but it clearly isn't as functional as the standard Asus build if he has to stick with Asus Nvidia drivers and can't run standard Nvidia release drivers. It is another reason not to do clean installs, and to preserve / keep the original Asus Windows 8 / 8.1 build.

hmscott
10-27-2013, 10:29 PM
My labtop is G750JX. A week ago, when I played games, my sceen suddenly became black , and after 2 seconds, it brighted again and it showed "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". The situation is very bad, I can‘t play any games. And I already send it to the ASUS service centre, when I took back they did't fix this problem. Can anyone help me to fix this problem? Thank you very much!

jarvismao, sorry we got off on a tangent, lets get back to your specific problem :)

Do you have the standard Asus Windows install that came with the laptop? Have you updated to Windows 8.1?

What version Nvidia driver are you running?

Have you installed Asus GPU Tweak tool and have you overclocked - increased the speed of the GPU or memory?

Does the problem happen in all games? What games are not working, which are working - if any.

Can you please run a simple benchmark/stress test to see if you can recreate the problem for Asus? If you can tell them a specific test that they can download (not a game they won't have) then you can tell them how to recreate the driver crash you are seeing.

Furmark is a good simple benchmark / stress test that most have run at some point, and Asus probably are familiar with it.
http://www.geeks3d.com/20130719/furmark-1-11-0-gpu-vga-videocard-burn-in-stress-test-opengl-benchmark-utility-nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon/

Run the 1080 benchmark and see if the display driver crashes there, that is the easiest first test. If you pass that a few times in a row, then it will take a bit more stress to trigger the crash.

Try the Burn-in Benchmark 1920x1080 15 minute test run next if you pass the shorter test ok.

If you still don't fail, come back and tell us, with the other questions above answered, and we can proceed to help you debug the problem.

Here are the results of my Furmark Burnin 1920x1080 15 minute run on my G750JX-RB71 running Windows 8.1 (OEM Asus build + MS Store 8.1 Update) with Nvidia 331.58 drivers and GTX770m 932mhz/5200mhz + CPU @ 3.6ghz

Bumped up to 5400mhz... Furmark 1920x1080 15 minute test still passed.

Nvidia display driver crashed as I was setting the GPU memory speed to 5800mhz :)

Rebooting to reload the Nvidia device driver - when it crashes the device driver reduces speed/performance and requires a reboot to run at full speed again.

Note that Furmark says it detunes the GPU speed to 7xxmhz, but monitoring shows it is running at full speed.

The Furmark test may not catch GPU related issues near the edge of default GPU performance, but Furmark does run the GPU memory at full speed so you can test / cause a failure. Furmark is a good first test that if you fail you really have an issue, but if you pass Furmark you will want to run additional higher stress CPU tests if you are crashing in games to determine if it is the GPU that is a problem, or the games.

I will post runs from those later - it's dinner time :)

Woofyhugger
10-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I was having this issue on another ROG laptop of mine and I found manually turning off nvidia powermizer solved the constant 'display driver not responding' issue for me. I think I used a program called "powermizer switch" to disable/enable powermizer.

Not saying it's the same issue, but it's worth a shot.

hmscott
10-27-2013, 11:53 PM
I was having this issue on another ROG laptop of mine and I found manually turning off nvidia powermizer solved the constant 'display driver not responding' issue for me. I think I used a program called "powermizer switch" to disable/enable powermizer.

Not saying it's the same issue, but it's worth a shot.

Woofyhugger, are you saying you used powermizer switch to downclock your GPU? That would work if your GPU wasn't stable at default speed, but it isn't a good long term solution because you aren't getting the performance you paid for. If your GPU isn't working at spec when you buy it you should return the laptop or get it serviced to fix the GPU problem, not slow down the GPU to keep it from crashing.

Here is what I found for powermizer, if there is something I am missing Woofyhugger, please point me in the right direction with links to the feature/reason you used powermizer.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/273276-powermizer-switch-get-most-out-your-video-card.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/683583/how-to-adjust-nvidias-powermizer

The other way to use this is to stop the Nvidia GPU from down clocking during battery mode - I am going to try that on the G750 later to see if that will keep the 770m from reducing speed under battery.

But, that wouldn't help jarvismao as he is crashing - so increasing GPU frequency wouldn't help...

How did you use Powermizer?

Update: It looks like Nvidia isn't using those Windows registry names any longer. Powermizer 1.2 said it couldn't find the settings, and I dug up the registry setting names and used regedit and it couldn't find any of the registry names.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/261929-disable-powermizer-tested.html

But, articles from 2013 suggest these Dwords are still in use on some recent Nvidia UNIX drivers:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=129879

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162960

Woofyhugger
10-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Hey mate, yeah I used it on my G74 to stop it from down clocking my gpu when ever I was doing non gaming. It wouldn't crash during gaming, but I would get constant TDRs doing anything else. The GPU would go idle and not get enough voltage thanks to powermizer, so turning it off solved those issues for me. It was on a G74 though, so it's not surprising it isn't working on the G750 but it was worth a shot.

hmscott
10-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Hey mate, yeah I used it on my G74 to stop it from down clocking my gpu when ever I was doing non gaming. It wouldn't crash during gaming, but I would get constant TDRs doing anything else. The GPU would go idle and not get enough voltage thanks to powermizer, so turning it off solved those issues for me. It was on a G74 though, so it's not surprising it isn't working on the G750 but it was worth a shot.

Woofyhugger, it looks like powermizer would have been nice to have working on the G750 as well, thanks for pointing it out. Maybe Nvidia just changed the names of the registry entries and that a power tweak in another form might still be possible to keep the GPU speed up.

There used to be a list that kept track of new/outmoded Nvidia driver registry names to try to track features / changes in new drivers. I will see if I can find that thread somewhere.