PDA

View Full Version : G55VW Upgrades

Dan-in-TX
10-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, the upgrade to 8.1 on my G55VW went ok except for that dastardly watermark about secure boot. The problem was when I tried to install Fedora Core 19 in a dual boot setup - I hosed the UEFI settings on the drive.

Sooo....... I'm taking this opportunity to void my warranty. Rewben - this post is mainly directed at you ;) I went through your G55 upgrade guide at the top here, and there are two critical threads missing, actually three. Somewhere here in the forum the memory upgrade to 32GB has been discussed at length, and the correct timings have been discovered to work in the G55. There are at least two threads about this, but I can't find either one of them in my quick Sunday morning search - but they should be linked to in your upgrade thread.

The other is the mSATA - I found one thread on here with a very detailed disassembly. I was thinking that would be a useful addition to your thread, too.

In other news, the mSATA drive I'm getting is an awesome deal - Intel 525 (http://www.directron.com/ssdmceac120b30.html) 120GB for only US$109.

rewben
10-27-2013, 05:52 PM
@Dan-in-TX, sorry for the late reply. i'm glad that you found the notes useful.

for 32gb ram thread, are you referring to this one (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75)?

about the msata installation, i think i miss that one. i will find it out and put it in. thanks for the heads-up :)

Dan-in-TX
10-28-2013, 03:12 AM
OK, the Intel 525 120GB mSATA drive has been ordered, along with 16GB of Mushkin 11-11-11-28 RAM and an HGST 7200RPM SATA 6.0GB/s 1TB drive. All for just over $300.

I've decided that I'm going to run Fedora Core 19/20 natively and load Windows in a VM so I can still use my Amazon Instant Video and Netflix subscriptions. If all else fails, I still have the messed up OEM 750GB drive.

rewben
10-28-2013, 03:27 AM
do whatever you like with the machine. it's really a good one to play with. i have no complaint about it so far. yes, it's best to keep the stock drive. that's the best fail safe that works.