PDA

View Full Version : Installed new ssd on a new g750jh

Ernie89
10-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey guys

I'm glad owner of g750jh, amazing piece of machine :)
I get mine last week, it was with only 750gb hardrive with win 8 preinstalled, i have bought an ssd and cloned the harddrive to the new ssd,
It works that day, but next day it could'nt boot up, used whole day to fix the boot up problem with no luck.
Then i decided to reinstall with windows 8 home edition 64 bit to the ssd harddrive, since i have formatet the 750gb with preinstalled win 8 i could'nt clone it again :/
But restore and system partitions still remains untouched in the 750gb harddrive.
The system works now but sometimes when i restart system, it flashes black screen and reboot after that over abd over again but by pressing escape button i choose windows boot manager and it boots fine..
I have delered the old "Windows boot manager" setting in bios, what could be the problem that it flashes black screen at startup?

Sorry for my english :)

Pitcher@asus
10-28-2013, 08:39 AM
is it two OS in your two HDDs? i think it is not complete install OS, maybe it is OS problem.

hmscott
10-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Hey guys

I'm glad owner of g750jh, amazing piece of machine :)
I get mine last week, it was with only 750gb hardrive with win 8 preinstalled, i have bought an ssd and cloned the harddrive to the new ssd,
It works that day, but next day it could'nt boot up, used whole day to fix the boot up problem with no luck.
Then i decided to reinstall with windows 8 home edition 64 bit to the ssd harddrive, since i have formatet the 750gb with preinstalled win 8 i could'nt clone it again :/
But restore and system partitions still remains untouched in the 750gb harddrive.
The system works now but sometimes when i restart system, it flashes black screen and reboot after that over abd over again but by pressing escape button i choose windows boot manager and it boots fine..
I have delered the old "Windows boot manager" setting in bios, what could be the problem that it flashes black screen at startup?

Sorry for my english :)

If you didn't swap positions of the drives after cloning, you were likely still booting on the HD. The BIOS settings for the original HD bay will work with the SSD in place of the HD. Did you swap drive positions after cloning?

I recommend pulling the HD after cloning, at least for the first boot so that the SSD partitions / references all are standing on their own (not using files on the HD), just to make sure it works. It is possible Windows messed up and used some file references on the HD even though it was booted on the SSD - I have had that problem long ago before realizing I needed to pull the original HD before booting on the SSD after cloning.

If you can put the original HD back in the laptop, with the same partitions, try doing a F9 system reload to get your original Asus Windows 8.0 configuration. Then do the cloning again, but this time swap the SSD into the original HD position, and leave out the HD and boot with only the SSD in the laptop.

Ernie89
10-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Cool i will try to boot up only with ssd :)

I will get back to you soon ;)