PDA

View Full Version : Unusual temperatures

Pressure
10-27-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm using a G46VW [GTX660m, i5-3250m];

For the past week I've noticed that my GPU temperatures have been reaching unusual highs. On average, the idle temps are 65c (peak at 71c). More strangely, the temperatures under a heavy load exceed no more than 70c - the temperatures actually lower when I'm playing a game/using a 3D application. I've identified this problem as one mostly related to the system's fans - they only activate when I'm gaming. But that doesn't explain why, now, that the idle temperatures are reaching these new heights. Are the fans supposed to be active even when I'm not gaming? Have I installed/configured something incorrectly?

The ambient temperatures are around 30c - but that's irrelevant because they've been at that average since I acquired the laptop. My idle temps (GPU) were always around 35c.

Clintlgm
10-27-2013, 11:28 PM
65C is very high for Idle. Are you sure you don't have something in the back ground running? Malware or Virus? G75 fans run all the time they increase speed as the temp rise. You can verify this with Hwinfo64 run sensors only. You should see the fan speed increase a temp rise.
Have you clean your screens and blown out the vents and heat sinks to remove accumulated dust etc. be sure to use a pencil or something to prevent the fan from over revving while your blowing out the dust.
If your fan speeds are not increasing as the temps rise you may have a defective fan or MB. We have no user control of the fans of any sort at all.

Pressure
10-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Nothing in the background running, I made sure. Also, I performed a complete wipe of my drive and reinstalled Windows 8. I highly doubt that this issue is caused by accumulated dust. Malware? I doubt that too.

Also, as I listen to my laptop more closely, I'm hearing the fan starting and then stopping after a few seconds. On idle, by the way. When I'm running a game, the fans perform perfectly.

Clintlgm
10-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Well the fans are controlled by the BIOS or MB If they are not functioning and your not clogged up with dust. It must be a hardware problem. It really sounded like a clogged up system. Your statement that Idle temp in the 70's but not increasing that much under load. A bad or failing pasting would just keep getting hotter and hotter. Again the controller for the fans are MB controlled, we and no other software that I'm aware of can control these fans.
Again hwinfo64 will show you exactly what your fans are doing in relationship to your CPU and GPU load and Temps its also free you can just run it you don't have to install it.