PDA

View Full Version : G73SW - media test failure

kello
10-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Alright I was getting over heating problems while gaming, did some research and decided to re-paste my CPU and GPU. I've built every PC I've ever owned, and am pretty competent when it comes to disassembling/reassembling electronics, so I felt confident going into this. Alas, I seem to have broken a plastic clip holding a small plastic (ribbon? its flat and plastic, but on a PC what would be a ribbon cable or now SATA cable) from the hard drive bay to the motherboard.

Results: Reboot or Select proper Boot device. PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

Now I realize this is self-inflicted, and I am a fool of some sort. But the problem is that I usually can figure out my own mistakes and correct them! I have re-disassembled my laptop, and ensured said cable is firmly connected to motherboard, taped it down with that yellow tape (i know..) and still no boot! I've taken out the hard drive and hooked it to my desktop and ran a check disk, no corrupted sectors.

Is there somewhere I can buy the plastic clip I broke? or does that not matter and it's another problem I just haven't found yet? Pulling my hair out over here.

Thanks,

Kello

Pitcher@asus
10-28-2013, 07:49 AM
are you sure you have not broke cabel? i think you sent to service center to check it.

cl-Albert
10-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Alright I was getting over heating problems while gaming, did some research and decided to re-paste my CPU and GPU. I've built every PC I've ever owned, and am pretty competent when it comes to disassembling/reassembling electronics, so I felt confident going into this. Alas, I seem to have broken a plastic clip holding a small plastic (ribbon? its flat and plastic, but on a PC what would be a ribbon cable or now SATA cable) from the hard drive bay to the motherboard.

Results: Reboot or Select proper Boot device. PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

Now I realize this is self-inflicted, and I am a fool of some sort. But the problem is that I usually can figure out my own mistakes and correct them! I have re-disassembled my laptop, and ensured said cable is firmly connected to motherboard, taped it down with that yellow tape (i know..) and still no boot! I've taken out the hard drive and hooked it to my desktop and ran a check disk, no corrupted sectors.

Is there somewhere I can buy the plastic clip I broke? or does that not matter and it's another problem I just haven't found yet? Pulling my hair out over here.

Thanks,

Kello

Yes, unfortunately as you found out notebooks are more fragile than PCs and require a very gentle touch just as a warning to anybody else that plans to try this and hopefully help them avoid this problem if they do (hope it's okay to mention this).

Assume you have checked your boot order in the bios (and probably never changed it?), but you can disable the boot from LAN option if you prefer to stop seeing the media test error message which will just result in a different error if the system still doesn't detect your hard drives.

Just wanted to mention to go into your bios to make sure you don't see your hard drive(s) under 'advanced'/SATA Configuration if you have these options (I don't have the G73SW and am looking at the G75VW bios, so things may be different, but expect there is some way to detect the hard drives in your bios), but if the plastic clip has been broken, the connection may not be very good and your bios /system may not be able to pick up the hard drive (hopefully I'm wrong).

Unfortunately, not sure where you can get another plastic clip.
If the plastic clip on the motherboard side is okay and the hard drive board has the damaged clip, you can check with the U.S. eStore site (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=3021) if you are located in the U.S. about ordering it, but didn't see it listed and not sure if it will be available or easy to get.

You probably know or are not interested, but you can always send it to ASUS for out-of-warranty service which may involve a motherboard replacement if the clip on the motherboard side is broken.

Well, sorry I'm not able to help more with this, but hopefully someone else can offer better suggestions.

kello
10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
I have indeed checked in the BIOS to see if it recognizes the hard drive, but it's not showing up. I even tried hooking the hard drive up through USB and booting from that, but for some reason it would just freeze. i've attached a picture of the cable in question, it has a pretty gnarly 45 degree bend in it, but it has always been like that.

any further advice would be appreciated! or even use this as a PSA to others to be a little more careful with these darn clips