PDA

View Full Version : Need help with G75vw clean install of WIN8 no disk

Brujenn
10-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Hi Folks,

I just got a G75VW and want to put in an SSD for my C: drive. Win8 came on the machine but I don't have a disk, so I'm not sure how to install it on the SSD. I'd like to do it without the trial-ware and apps that are added on the ASUS install. Can anyone guide me, or link me to another thread or guide off-site?

rewben
10-28-2013, 03:55 AM
if you need to do a clean install with the embedded key, you will need the oem w8 installer disk that matches your stock OS. use slmgr /dlv to determine it, and then find the matching one according to the version (core, single language, etc. it should be of oem channel).

alternatively, you can get to the clean state of your stock OS by resetting everything (using the option that 'remove everything and reinstall your windows')

before you do anything, please create a recovery usb with asus backtracker.

Brujenn
10-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Okay, I used slmgr /dlv and have all the information.

I don't understand this - "and then find the matching one according to the version (core, single language, etc. it should be of oem channel)."

Where should I look for this?

rewben
10-28-2013, 06:27 AM
from the popup window after issuing slmgr /dlv:

1. Name. it should be the windows edition that you're running (Core, Single Language; mine is 'Windows (R), Professional Edition');
2. Description. it should state that you're running OEM_DM.

with the information, look for the matching installation dvd/ISO file offline or online.

Pitcher@asus
10-28-2013, 08:13 AM
you will do the clean install? i think you need Win 8 CD and Key.

cudav8
10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
i found an iso for win 8 oem on google drive and did the clean install with no problems just download the drivers from asus site or back up from the system file on pc before you remove the old hhd and the key is not needed as it is embedded in the bios win. wont even ask for it when your doing the install

Clintlgm
10-28-2013, 05:19 PM
So now you'll need to Clean Install Win 8.1, its worth the time, much smother OS, you can download the ISO from MS Store use your current key that you have extracted!

Brujenn
10-31-2013, 11:52 PM
The info I extracted with Windows script host has only "partial product key: MYM2MG".

MS store live chat told me to get the full key from Asus. I have sent Asus and email through Asus.com/support.

Brujenn
11-01-2013, 12:07 AM
I wonder - Does Asus have a hidden image of the original installation? If I restore to original maybe I can get my original product key? I used MS free online upgrade to win8.1 - maybe that's why my product key is missing.

I have no data on the computer yet, so nothing to back up.

These are the fields Win Script Host brought up. (I blanked some of the id numbers)

Clintlgm
11-01-2013, 12:20 AM
NO the key is stored on you Mother board. Try to extract you key with this program http://www.mediafire.com/download/as21l1ml16iu21k/Windows+Product+Key+Viewer+1.4.7d.zip

Brujenn
11-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Wow, thank you! It worked perfectly.

NO the key is stored on you Mother board. Try to extract you key with this program http://www.mediafire.com/download/as21l1ml16iu21k/Windows+Product+Key+Viewer+1.4.7d.zip

Brujenn
11-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Do you know a link to download windows 8 using your product key?

Clintlgm
11-01-2013, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't worry about 8 just goggle for 8.1 iso. actually since you now have your Win 8 Product Key, you can download 8.1 from the windows store!! its a free upgrade. I think they had some pretty good deals on upgrading to 8.1 pro not sure if there still valid or not, you'll just have to go see.

Pay attention to all dialogs, you want to download the ISO not upgrade your current system.

rewben
11-01-2013, 02:23 AM
you have a core edition. it's a common one so you should be able to grab a copy of untouched iso that matches online. well officially ms only provide iso's via msdn and technet subscribers.

Brujenn
11-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Window 8 setup says "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8". I found other places to down load Win8, but I'm worried they might not be clean files. Are there sources other than MS that are known to be clean?

Alternatively, could I use the option to restore windows 8 to the OS only and then copy that drive to my new ssd?

SpasTaz0917
11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
if you're clean installing windows 8.1:

Windows 8.1 ISO DOES NOT ACCEPT WINDOWS 8 KEYS IN INSTALLATION.

find a dummy key on the interwebz.. or make a file so that it skips the winsdows Serial thing.

then get your own windows 8 key after the installation is done, then change the windows key. then simply activate :)

if you're installing Windows 8 core that has not been "touched" your windows 8 key should be automatically installed.

rewben
11-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Window 8 setup says "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8". I found other places to down load Win8, but I'm worried they might not be clean files. Are there sources other than MS that are known to be clean?

Alternatively, could I use the option to restore windows 8 to the OS only and then copy that drive to my new ssd?

to know if the iso was modified or not, check out the file checksum published at MS, and use it to compare with the one for your iso. if the checksums match, you have the untouched one.

like @SpasTaz0917 pointed out, you should look for the installation-only key if you are installing w8.1.

if you do have the w8 installer (not w8.1), you can get the installer iso with matching edition (usually this means the untouched rtm). i'm not sure how ei.cfg and pid.txt work in w8.1 sorry.

yes sure, you can clone it.

Brujenn
11-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Follow up - I got a trusted iso and have success on the install. Thanks for all the help!

rewben
11-03-2013, 02:50 AM
it's good to know that :)

benkang89
11-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Can someone explain to me what slmgr /dlv is? PS where did you end up finding the windows 8 iso?

Brujenn
11-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Can someone explain to me what slmgr /dlv is? PS where did you end up finding the windows 8 iso?

Hi benkang89, I have a friend at Microsoft who got it for me.

jesselivecchi@yahoo.com
04-24-2014, 07:21 PM
wondering why you didnt just do a clone of your current hdd to the ssd? thats what im doing should i do a clean reinstall instead??

Clintlgm
04-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Clone is ok, clean install even better but more work and time, Clone is fast and works. Since you have Win 8 on it you can use Asus Backtracker (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1002165/). Backtracker will put your notebook back to how it shipped from the factory.
macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) will image Clone or restore to different hardware as in 750 gb Hard Drive to 256 GB SSD you don't lose anything this way.