PDA

View Full Version : Random Power off

ceward
10-29-2013, 03:22 AM
This is my second G75VW. My first went in and out of the reseller over 3 months as they tried to repair it, finally gave up and gave me a new one.

My new one was fine for about 2 months then started the same random power off's.

I have tried the Hibernation fix, it has done nothing.

What I have and the Vendor has tried. Replaced the memory, although they found no errors, replaced the hard drive, as some times before the power off you can hear a drive access. So they tried that to see.

I have tried various BIOS no help same random unexplained power off's

I have tried various versions of NVIDIA drivers same thing.

I can run Hardware checking software and it will find nothing, And then suddenly it will just power off. And sometimes as last time it ran for 7 days straight at the Shop with 0 errors. Rebooted it and went to a web page and it powered off, loaded up the bios poof off it went.

Rebooted again, and it was fine for days.

World of War craft, I can raid for hours. No issue, then suddenly bam bam bam down it goes as fast as I restart the laptop it powers off.

Checking the Temps, I always have a temp monitor running, the HIGHEST the GPU has ever reached is 60c which is cool. And 44c on the CPU.

I have cleaned the fans the filters. NUMEROUS times.

I have restored from the recovery disks no help, I have done a fresh Win 7 win 8 win 8.1 install. No help. Still a random power off.

I have sent it back numerous times, and they send it back saying they can't find any problems.

I really am at the end of my rope with this.

Bubba
10-29-2013, 05:06 AM
I am having the same problem but with the G55. I sent the unit back numerous times because it was shutting down. Finally after taking 4.5 months of not being able to fix it they decided to replace the unit (unknown to me until recently with a refurbished unit) I am having the same problems with this one, although not as frequent. I have sent this one back as well but they have all but told me I am making it up because I not happy with the refurbished unit and would like a new one.

I am extremely frustrated.

Pitcher@asus
10-29-2013, 06:13 AM
you try so many time to fix it, but it not help, if can, you can change HDD, DIMM to try it, if can not, i think you sent to service center to check it what problem is.

ceward
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I can replicate the issue. Works in Win 7 an Win 8.1 (the two OS I have set up)

With Any version of PhysX installed, running 3dmark11 soon as it gets to PhysX test it will power off within a few seconds.

If you uninstall PhysX, and then go into Nvidia Control Panel under PhysX configuration, and tell it to explicitly use the CPU not the GPU. You will not crash during 3dMark11. Setting to GPU even with out PhysX installed will still cause the G75VW to power off during the test.

Is this a mark of a bad GPU or Driver?

cl-Albert
10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
I can replicate the issue. Works in Win 7 an Win 8.1 (the two OS I have set up)

With Any version of PhysX installed, running 3dmark11 soon as it gets to PhysX test it will power off within a few seconds.

If you uninstall PhysX, and then go into Nvidia Control Panel under PhysX configuration, and tell it to explicitly use the CPU not the GPU. You will not crash during 3dMark11. Setting to GPU even with out PhysX installed will still cause the G75VW to power off during the test.

Is this a mark of a bad GPU or Driver?

Software and driver problems normally shouldn't cause a unit to power off, so I would be more concerned about the hardware, but if you stick to the original ASUS factory Windows image or keep the software clean and use the notebook drivers from the ASUS download site, you should be okay with the software.

If you can tell the repair office how to easily catch the problem, it may be time to let them take care of it, but if you have upgraded any components like memory or the hard drive, try to make sure they aren't related to the problem as well which may not be too likely in this case if it appears GPU related.

zltippett
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
I've had this problem on my G55VW. Might be related to the power software. Check out this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29821-Random-shutdowns-on-G55VW specifically this note, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29821-Random-shutdowns-on-G55VW&p=270902&viewfull=1#post270902.

Good Luck!