PDA

View Full Version : odd heating problem in g53sw, help!!



pablitopm
10-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Hello! i have a problem and neither me or the technician knows why its happening.

I have a g53sw, everything was working fine except the other day when my backpack (with my laptop in it) fell from a chair to the ground, (yeah yeah, i know, im a moron!) so i started up and worked just fine for like an hour, then it suddenly shut down, like it was a heating problem, i run a few stress test and the cpu reached like 95C wich is a lot, before the fall it reached 85C when stress tested, i disassembly my laptop and everything was fine, no chip broken, no cable broken no nothing, so the next thing i did was, to repaste the CPU, this helped a lot, i mean, now i could work fine as long as i dont overload the cpu. (before that if i open eclipse, a developer tool, it overheated and shutdown)

So i ran stress test again, and it stayed on for a little longer, but the overheating problem was still there. I took it to the technician, he did the same thing i did but he disassembly all of the pc, nothing was broken or moved, so he assambled the PC tested it, it was working fine... here comes the odd part for me (im no hardware expert nor something near that) When my laptops is working only with the battery, it works fine, the stress test only reached 86C, but when i plug the cable it start running hotter until it shutsdown.

pleaaaase, any help?? i dont know why is this happening, may be the cable? or the jack?

Sorry for my english, thanks in advance!

Zygomorphic
10-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Possibly a damaged jack, or else a damaged battery. Lithium Ion batteries are sensitive to shock, and can be damaged. However, it is possible that the chips are loose, though unless they break free of the board, you couldn't tell. Repasting should solve any thermal issues - unless a fan is broken. Can you confirm that both fans are running properly?

pablitopm
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Possibly a damaged jack, or else a damaged battery. Lithium Ion batteries are sensitive to shock, and can be damaged. However, it is possible that the chips are loose, though unless they break free of the board, you couldn't tell. Repasting should solve any thermal issues - unless a fan is broken. Can you confirm that both fans are running properly?

Thanks for helping me, but the battery is fine, the thing is when i plug my battery charger, thats when it starts overheating, if my pc is working on battery alone is 'fine' (when i start the stress test it reaches 90C, i dont think thats normal).

the technician said that everything was fine regarding somthing loose or outof place.

I've repasted the cpu, and that helped but with my battery charged plugged it keeps shuting down.

both fans are working fine, reaching 4000RPM when the cpu is too hot.

Any other ideas?

it's prettyy odd!

Zygomorphic
10-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a damaged battery charge controller (in the laptop battery). That, or the plug may have a micro crack that you can't see.

pablitopm
10-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks again, one question, that micro cut, you think that may be the cause of my laptop overheating? if you want i can make a video of the laptop cheking tempetures, and Mhz in the cpu, with the pc working on battery and thenwith the pc working with battery charge plugged.

Thanks again

one more thing. im doing the stress test with BurninTest

Zygomorphic
10-31-2013, 10:24 AM
It has to be something with the charger, since the only time it overheats is when the laptop is plugged in. Try removing the battery and running the notebook plugged in. If that helps, then something is wrong with the battery. Otherwise, it's the charging.

pablitopm
10-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks again, the technician tested the jack and he told me, it was fine, i will try changing de battery charger.

rigth now there are 3 technicians looking very closely at the laptop, with magnifying glass. they dont see anything rare, they are asking me if the cober pipes are filled with gas or liquid, by any chance, do you know that? they are looking if it may have broken

Sory for my english!

Zygomorphic
11-01-2013, 01:48 AM
I don't think so. I believe that they are solid copper. Oh, that reminds me! Did the charger hit the floor too? I didn't think of that before, because it could be damaged. If the technicians are saying that the jack is fine, then it probably. The charger could break on impact - some of the relays and transformers could be broken by impact.

pablitopm
11-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I will try with another carger, but now it shuts down with battery too. i really dont know what to do!

Zygomorphic
11-02-2013, 01:19 AM
I will try with another carger, but now it shuts down with battery too. i really dont know what to do!
To be honest, it sounds like your system is failing, which is possible after falling to the floor. :(

pablitopm
11-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Sorry for not answering quickly, Today im going to pick up the PC from the technician, they said that the hardware was perfectly good. But my question is... Why this overheating problem came AFTER the fall?? i mean why is it possible to the system to fail after the fall? i dont understand..

Either way im going to upgrade BIOS. my fear is that the pc will shutdown when im doing this. any advice?

TeRmInAsHuNaToR
11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
It's not the charger, nor the charge system. When you plug it in, the GPU and the CPU are allowed to run at 100% performance. On battery, they're restricted. I have a G73 and when running on battery the CPU and GPU are crippled, so that's why you can't game well on battery. Odds are, your heat sink is damaged somehow. Inside the heat pipes is Ammonia Something Something, and if it get's out your cooler will work, but when you put load on it it will quickly become overwhelmed.
Ask the Techs if they can swap a cooler on it, see if that helps.
I repeat, your charger, jack, and battery are likely fine.

pablitopm
11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks TeRmInAsHuNaToR, the technician examined the pipe with magnifying glass and found nothing. this weekend i'm going to upgrade the bios and see if that helps.and if it doesn't then i'm going to replace the pipes and the jack just to be extremely sure that is not that.

TeRmInAsHuNaToR
11-04-2013, 06:23 PM
I could almost bet money something is wrong with the pipes, though :)

pablitopm
11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
I hope you are right!! that would cost me around 20 us dollars, used of course, living in Argentina makes it very difficult to purchase computer parts that have to be brought from other country! if i came up with anything new i will let you know!

pablitopm
11-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I could almost bet money something is wrong with the pipes, though :)
TeRmInAsHuNaToR, i've run tests on the pc, i've turn on the pc and stress the cpu and i puted a thermometer and measured the temps, my cpu was at 90 dgrs and my pipe, near the hetsink was at 34, then seeing this i dissasembly the pipe from the motherboard and tested manually, i read on the internet that if you put half the pipe in boiling water, the pipe should burn your hand in matter of second, i did that test and the water was at 95C and the pipe only got 60C that's a pretty big difference, so now i will buy a new heatpipe.

bye the way i also tested the GPU pipe and the difference of C was like 10C or less, so i guess that 35C of difference must be wrong.

when i get the new part i will update this thread!

TeRmInAsHuNaToR
11-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I ripped apart my G73 Sw last night. Would have been smart if I had known this back then, while the rig was apart!
My cooling is working okay as it is, but that would have been a good opportunity.

pablitopm
11-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Update on the test I've been doing.
First: i've disassemble the pc and turn it on to see the fan speed if it is working or not (both worked fine)
second: check adapter Volt and Amp, both fine 19V and i dont remember the amps but they were fine
third: check temps with thermometer, tested on the GPU, the GPU CORE (according to gpu-z) as at 50C and the extreme of the heat pipe(near the sink) was at 40-45C, the same test to the CPU, the core (during stress) was at 60C(according to CPU-z) and going up but the heat pipe near the sink was at 34C and not going up. the difference in CPU was at least 30C while in the GPU was 10-5C difference.


so, i'm about to purchase the pipes, yeah i know, it took me forever, but that's because i send the laptop to other technician and he told me to change the motherboard, before i spend serious money on a motherboard i'm going to try with the pipes.

updating when the pipes get here! be alert!