PDA

View Full Version : What is this "watermark" on people's screens that I've heard about...

SHADO
10-30-2013, 12:28 AM
...caused by updating to Win8.1?

Clintlgm
10-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Well mine say's "Windows 8.1 with Media Center SecureBoot Isn't configured correctly Build 9600" I guess this is because the units that were sold with Win 7 do not have a BIOS that supports SecureBoot?

SHADO
10-30-2013, 01:16 AM
Well mine say's "Windows 8.1 with Media Center SecureBoot Isn't configured correctly Build 9600" I guess this is because the units that were sold with Win 7 do not have a BIOS that supports SecureBoot?

Thanks for the answer. :) But it only spawns another question: I have Win8, but haven't done the 8.1 update yet. Any idea how I find out if I have SecureBoot, or if it is enabled? My G75 is a refurb, and it is missing some stuff new ones have (such as a recovery partition, for starters).
I don't want to blindly update to 8.1, and end up with a watermark on MY screen.

cl-Albert
10-30-2013, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the answer. :) But it only spawns another question: I have Win8, but haven't done the 8.1 update yet. Any idea how I find out if I have SecureBoot, or if it is enabled? My G75 is a refurb, and it is missing some stuff new ones have (such as a recovery partition, for starters).
I don't want to blindly update to 8.1, and end up with a watermark on MY screen.

If you check in your bios under 'security' and have the setting to enable/disable secure boot, you will be able to get rid of that watermark on your screen from Win8.1 (by enabling secure boot if it isn't enabled already). All the notebooks sold by ASUS with Win8 should have the secure boot setting.

SHADO
10-30-2013, 02:04 AM
If you check in your bios under 'security' and have the setting to enable/disable secure boot, you will be able to get rid of that watermark on your screen from Win8.1 (by enabling secure boot if it isn't enabled already). All the notebooks sold by ASUS with Win8 should have the secure boot setting.

Thank you! Found it, and secure boot is enabled. :) 2 last questions (hopefully): If I don't update to 8.1, will it cause problems in the future? Any idea how large the download is? I'm having wiring issues, and my DSL is currently about as slow as dial-up.

Clintlgm
10-30-2013, 02:21 AM
Well if you can't get some where you can download it. You might be able to find a friend that has a disk, any new computer will get one mostly anyway LOL, Looks like a little over 3 GB

SHADO
10-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Well if you can't get some where you can download it. You might be able to find a friend that has a disk, any new computer will get one mostly anyway LOL, Looks like a little over 3 GB

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any new G75 came with a Win8 disk. 3GB? Probably take about 5 hours, lol.

JBM
10-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Fix to remove watermark if your can't change secure boot in your bios. Just removes the watermark but doesn't change the bios setting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2902864

SHADO
10-31-2013, 03:37 AM
Fix to remove watermark if your can't change secure boot in your bios. Just removes the watermark but doesn't change the bios setting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2902864

Good to know. Thanks! :)