PDA

View Full Version : How to install SSD/Win 8.1?

bloowhalez
10-30-2013, 01:01 AM
so I just order a samsung EVO and I understand the basics of installing SSD's and windows. I built a dual Athlon MP rig when I was 14... but I wouldn't mind some guidance.

So I'm going to pop the SSD in, I assume there is a cage for the 2nd hdd included (unlike the G73).

I'll enter BIOS and set the SSD as the boot drive, eventually... but first I install windows, correct? eh?

So the big question is, where can I find and use my win8 key to download win 8.1?

then can I just install win 8.1 to the SSD and set it as the boot drive?

that easy?

TheSSDReview
10-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Your best option is a fresh install of course. You can seek out a copy of the OS from any source that you have a key from, or search the net for copies as their are plenty. The SSD will be the same size as your hard drive and will fit in in place of your present SSD. Once Win 8 is installed, it will boot from there automatically. There is a wealth of information (http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/) around to help you along, as well as optimization guides (http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/) to improve perfomance and keep your system stable.

bloowhalez
10-30-2013, 02:35 PM
so I pulled my OEM key, seems I need a special ISO of win8 to install this. I was going to download a copy and use the key but Im having trouble finding a version that accepts it.

Nehmia
10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
so I pulled my OEM key, seems I need a special ISO of win8 to install this. I was going to download a copy and use the key but Im having trouble finding a version that accepts it.

the new Windows 8.1 doesn't accept any real key during installation, there are 3 "default installation keys" now that are used just during installation to tell Windows 8 which flavor to install, as in:

- Windows 8 Single Language
- Windows 8 Core
- Windows 8 Pro

So what you need to do is enter the default installation key which is relevant to the version of Windows 8 you had before, which is most likely the Windows 8 Single Language installation key

that key is not a REAL key and cannot be used to activate Windows, it is only for the sake of installation

after you are in Windows, then you can activate windows 8.1 with your REAL key that you grabbed before you formatted

bloowhalez
10-31-2013, 01:57 AM
okay, i dont have a usb key right now, are there any 8.1 iso's that let me install from windows to a partition that i select?

all i seem to be able to find are upgrades with no options. i know if i get a key and boot from it everything will be fine.

hopefully the retail 8.1 iso will have the option.

i am on my 1TB hdd in 8.1 with the gpt-formatted SSD.

oVrKiLL
10-31-2013, 10:23 PM
I wound up using asus backtracker to backup my OS then removing the original HD and installing the OS from the thumb Drive I backed it up to. All that is fine now however I had to get a kbfix from MS to get rid of a secure boot misconfigured watermark on my desktop(bottom right corner- didn't get this message till I upgraded to 8.1) word of advise I had to return my unit to BB 4 times before I got on that the chassis wasn't damaged on. I wouldn't format the recovery partition on the TB drive that came with the unit. I would only format the default that windows can see once you are able to log into the OS on the SSD. I cheated and plugged mine into a drive caddy and formatted from another machine. Not a fan of the secureboot option in the bios. Its a little confusing.