PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 fresh install tips

ZeroTolerance
10-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm going to make a fresh Windows 8 install in a new SSD and replace my hdd. I'm pretty new to SSD itself and to Windows 8 and I've got some questions.

1) Since I don't have any disk for Windows 8, is there a way I can get it from the current system and maybe migrate to a USB flash drive? How do I do that? Also, is there a chance to get the full current system and data recovery? If so, would you suggest that in place of a fresh Win8 install for the ssd? Consider the system is new and I've only installed a couple of games.

2) Once Win8 is installed, will there be some drivers missing from the Asus website list I will need to get elsewhere? And what about the current Asus stock software and configurations? Will I be able to recover all of that or will I lose all of the manufacturer software?

Thanks!

Pitcher@asus
10-31-2013, 03:04 AM
what is yoru mode? i think G750 serious, all are win 8 OS, you can downlaod auss bactracker to make backup or recover.
if you do clean install, you can find driver from asus support site for win 8, but if you are 8.1 i think you will wait auss release driver, alos you can find in vander website.

bloowhalez
10-31-2013, 05:00 AM
i just one and this is how i recommend it.

download 8.1 from a torrenting site, use RUFUS to put it on a USB key. use UEFI setting.

change boot order in bios with F2.

install (ssd was partition 8 for me).

change cd key to yours, which you need to pull from old win8. or crck it.

install latest nvidia, realtek. the only thing you should get from asus site is win 8.1 wifi driver and win8 ATK key utility (for function keys). power4gear and splendid etc not necessary.

ZeroTolerance
10-31-2013, 03:13 PM
GPT or MBR for the SSD OS install?

bloowhalez
10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
GPT, gpt is the new mbr. its mainly for win8, and once you do this you cant install win7 or older without a reformat. just saying

bloowhalez
10-31-2013, 03:20 PM
also, how big is your SSD? I freed up 30 gig by googling "reduce windows 8 footprint" and using treesize to see the biggest folders.

especially disable the hibernation, pagefile, reduce the winSxS folder (its for compatibility mode), etc. the top ten results on google will save you tens of GB

villiansv
10-31-2013, 03:21 PM
GPT or MBR for the SSD OS install?

Go GPT, though it doesn't really matter. Both will work, and the MBR restrictions will very likely not be an issue for you.

bloowhalez
10-31-2013, 03:22 PM
My win8 is only 13gb...

ZeroTolerance
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
The SSD is Samsung 840 EVO of 1TB. I just checked and the current HDD is also GPT, so I will simply go for the same :)

ZeroTolerance
10-31-2013, 03:38 PM
So basically you guys suggest a clean install anyway, instead of cloning the current hdd?
Also, hardware question, is there a difference between the 2 drive bays? Does it matter which I pick to install the ssd? Which one should I choose?

bloowhalez
10-31-2013, 03:52 PM
yes definitely do the clean install. definitely. much faster, ive done both. also, im jelly, the evo 1tb is only $600, but I only had $100 so I got the 120gb. enough for skyrim, diablo and BF4 with 50gb left, but still i want the 1tb.

no difference between the bays.

also, did you crack a few of the plastic clips when you moved the backing? what a crapshoot that was. now my lappy rattles a bit.

just install the ssd wherever you want, doesnt matter. keep bios settings default btw.

gazzacbr
10-31-2013, 03:53 PM
you really dont want to clone the current win 8 if it is the 'as supplied' version.
make a clean install and get rid of all the 'free' trial rubbish. all the drivers are available.
when is upside down with the bays closest to you, use the right one to boot, that is HD0 (mine has the original ssd in the left, wrong one)
if you single boot it wont make a lot of difference but if you multi boot it will make life a lot easier.

Nehmia
10-31-2013, 04:48 PM
yes, if you turn your laptop on its back, the right bay is drive 0 and the left bay is drive 1

you should install the main SSD or main HDD in drive 0 for fastest performance

villiansv
10-31-2013, 10:47 PM
yes, if you turn your laptop on its back, the right bay is drive 0 and the left bay is drive 1

you should install the main SSD or main HDD in drive 0 for fastest performance

It doesn't matter which slot you plug the drive in. Both slots are SATA3, same speed, and connected with the same cable to the motherboard - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html if you want visual proof.

ZeroTolerance
11-04-2013, 02:11 AM
I've found a Windows 8.1 iso file in my language, it is Windows 8.1 x64 RTM Italian. My current system seems to run Windows 8 Core (checked with cmd slmgr.vbs /dli ). Others have reported key validation issues due to wrong versions installed which did not comply with the key in the BIOS. Guides say to install Windows 8.1 with general key and then activate it with the original Windows 8 key). Am I safe with this version or do I need a different one?
When I try and download the Windows 8.0 ISO file directly from Microsoft, their software says my key cannot be used to download a final Windows version, which is absurd since it is the key I recovered from the BIOS. I don't want to install everything and then find out I cannot activate Windows 8.1 because of the built-in key.

Or is it better to use Asus Backtracker to create a USB Stick, install the recovery on the blank SSD and then update to Windows 8.1?

ZeroTolerance
11-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Also in the case of Asus Backtracker, will I be able to use diskpart to convert the SSD to GPT or is that done automatically?
Thanks for the help!

bloowhalez
11-05-2013, 04:58 AM
if i remember correctly when you boot up to windows with the sdd freshly installed and you format it in Disk Manager (admin tool) it gave me the option for gpt

ZeroTolerance
11-05-2013, 01:54 PM
if i remember correctly when you boot up to windows with the sdd freshly installed and you format it in Disk Manager (admin tool) it gave me the option for gpt

Yes, but will that work with the USB recovery created by Asus Backtracker? What I am going to do is:

1) Remove my 2 HDD's from the drive bays
2) Install the new SSD in one of the bays.
3) Plug in the USB stick created by Backtracker and let it do the recovery

Will those steps work or is there something else?

Nehmia
11-05-2013, 03:13 PM
I've found a Windows 8.1 iso file in my language, it is Windows 8.1 x64 RTM Italian. My current system seems to run Windows 8 Core (checked with cmd slmgr.vbs /dli ). Others have reported key validation issues due to wrong versions installed which did not comply with the key in the BIOS. Guides say to install Windows 8.1 with general key and then activate it with the original Windows 8 key). Am I safe with this version or do I need a different one?
When I try and download the Windows 8.0 ISO file directly from Microsoft, their software says my key cannot be used to download a final Windows version, which is absurd since it is the key I recovered from the BIOS. I don't want to install everything and then find out I cannot activate Windows 8.1 because of the built-in key.

Or is it better to use Asus Backtracker to create a USB Stick, install the recovery on the blank SSD and then update to Windows 8.1?

dude, if you have an SSD it takes 15 mins to install Windows, then try to activate it, if it doesn't work, then download the Single Language Edition, simple

upgrades suck and that's the main cause of problems, nothing beats a clean install with a fresh registry and fresh drivers

portbarton
11-07-2013, 03:26 AM
There is another option, which is what I did. First, install 8.1 preview. It is no longer available from the MS site, but it should be available as a torrent. The license for the software does not expire until January, so it should still install just fine. Then go the MS site and upgrade to 8.1. Because you are running preview, there is no "upgrade version", so you essentially install a Fresh version of 8.1. The only difference between this install and installing from an 8.1 disk with an 8.1 product key is that any files and folders that you have created outside of the windows directories will not be erased, and your user profiles will not be removed. However, you will have a fresh registry (except for your user profile), and there will be NO trace of any software or drivers that were installed after the original installation of windows 8. The nice thing about this option is that you can get an "almost" clean install of Windows 8.1, but the installation process will automatially accept the Windows 8.0 license key that it finds in your system. If you tried to do the same with an 8.1 disk, you would need an 8.1 license key.

In your scenario, the only change in the process would be to first copy an image of your drive to the new drive before installing 8.1 preview.

Duke of Alinor
11-08-2013, 05:38 AM
The problem is the product key, it is either very well hidden on the computer or in the software.
We need our product keys!

Duke of Alinor
11-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I used Belarc to find the product key, no luck with it on fresh install. I need to purchase one or go with original via backtracker
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa