PDA

View Full Version : G74S Power Supply Issue

Spart
10-31-2013, 07:37 AM
Whenever I try to play a game my laptops after a couple of minutes the power supply will cut out and the laptop will revert to the battery. I have to disconnect the power supply from the wall and wait a couple of minutes before it will start working again. If a game is not running there isn't a problem. This power supply is not even 2 days old, having just been replaced by ASUS.

cl-Albert
10-31-2013, 08:07 PM
What rating like 19V, 6.3A do you see under your adapter and can you check if you have a Duo Core or Quad Core cpu?

Was the original AC adapter doing the same thing and have you seen any problems on battery power (sorry for all the questions)?

Spart
11-01-2013, 12:15 AM
19.5V, 7.7A and quad core.

My last charger died overnight and wouldn't work at all. My battery is working fine, I can play a game for 40 - 50 minutes on the battery before closing down the game and charging it back up with the power supply.

cl-Albert
11-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Hmm...sounds like you have the correct 150w charger to me, so it doesn't make sense you're starting to see this problem after the adapter was replaced.

Don't suppose you have changed anything in the hardware or upgraded any hardware around the same time?
It almost appears that your adapter isn't able to provide enough power and may be defective (not sure how likely this is).

If we don't get better ideas, you might want to talk it over with your local ASUS support to see if they suggest sending you another adapter to try, or if they think you should send everything back if you're still under warranty.

If any of your hardware has been upgraded recently, you might try the G75/G750 180w adapter if you can get your hands on one just to see if that helps although it could still be possible that new 150w adapter you received is just defective?

Spart
11-01-2013, 03:16 AM
All hardware is standard. Its still under warranty so I guess I'll send it off to Asus to sort out.

cl-Albert
11-01-2013, 04:18 PM
All hardware is standard. Its still under warranty so I guess I'll send it off to Asus to sort out.

Sounds like a good idea while you are still under warranty. Also, was just thinking that maybe something with your notebook caused your original AC adapter to go bad although not sure why the newer AC adapter is acting a little bit differently.

Anyway, we can just let the ASUS service center figure it out since it sounds like something isn't working quite right.

Spart
11-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Turns out it was a motherboard issue. Thanks to the warranty at the store I bought it from they're giving me a brand new G750JX as a replacement.

cl-Albert
12-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Glad to hear you could get that resolved and thanks for letting us know.