PDA

View Full Version : G73JH GPU issues after bios update

Trombetta
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi,
I used to have the same old issues, bsod and etc, so I decided to update my vbios. As my bios was 209 I decided to update to 213 before (as said in the guide that the last vbios needs at least the 211 version).
To isolate any possible issue with both bios updates I decided to give a week interval between the bios and the vbios update and that's why I think this problem is related to the bios and not the vbios.
Since the bios update my gpu is acting weird, before the update it used to run always on 700mhz, even in idle. Now its stuck on 500mhz, on idle and full load. What's weirder is that sometimes it works correctly, with idle clock on 405mhz and full load on 700mhz. And before someone ask, no, it's not running on battery.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any suggestions to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Ps: Sorry about my english, I still needs more pratice :)

irdmoose
09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
It sounds like it may be either an incompatibility between the vbios and bios that's causing this, or the vbios is sending the same information through the bios but it's being interpreted differently. When it's stuck at 500MHz, does it seem to operate normally in games or benchmarks? If not, then you might need to update the vbios to remedy it.

Chastity@ASUS
09-01-2011, 06:04 PM
The 500Mhz speed is when the system detects video playback, known as UVD mode. If you have a browser open playing Flash, that will trigger it too. Totally normal.

Trombetta
09-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Hmm.. as I'm with a browser opened most of time this makes sense... I never noticed that... err.. I feel kinda dumb now..

Thanks Chastity.. that was exactly what was happening..

Oldboy
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
The 500Mhz speed is when the system detects video playback, known as UVD mode. If you have a browser open playing Flash, that will trigger it too. Totally normal.

I got my girlfriend this notebook a while ago, and while i have worked out most the kinks thanks to your fabulous guides here (211 bios installed, gary's vbios installed, no GSOD and temps are ok - not going above 90 so not repasting - yet) I do have one question regarding this:

My girlfriend likes to watch all sorts of online stuff, and most of the time while playing games in a different window. However, UVD mode seems to overrule all other settings. As GPU-Z indicates that upon entering World of Warcraft, the clocks will still remain @ 500 / 1000 as long as any flash playback is on pause or playing. Does this mean, the gaming performance is limited, as long as she is watching something at the same time? That would kinda suck.

As soon as the browser is closed, clock behavior is back to normal (700 in game - 405 on desktop). This is the case with stock drivers and 11.4 catalyst (which i normally use on her machine). Is there any way around this or is the only solution to get a modded VBios with an UVD state of 700/1000?

Any help would be appreciated.

JRd1st
10-21-2011, 05:12 PM
What happens if you open the game before the video?

Oldboy
10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Makes no difference. UVD mode seems to "overrule" any other states. It seems like the only solutions are to mod the vbios or to turn off powerplay alltogether. At least from what I gathered via google, this is an issue with the priority of the states that affects the entire 5800 series including the desktop cards and there is no fix and AMD does not plan any fix either.

If that's the case it is kind of a bummer, but ohh well. Possible to live with. However, it would be nice if some of the very knowledgable people here could confirm, because there is still the chance of having a simpler solution I simply can't find.