PDA

View Full Version : help with asus g60vx

Ehyiah
10-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Hello,

I have a problem with my g60vx (gtx 260m and P7450), i'll try to explain the best I can my problem.

first of all, the temperature are "good" for this model, i mean less than 90 for the GPU and less than 80 for the CPU (maybe a little high for the CPU but the GPU is quite good).

my problem is that the PC freezes some times, and i need to hard reboot, but some times too it doesn't boot up at all and i need to hard reboot before it opens windows 7.

I thought it was the battery, so i took it off, but it keeps on freezing from time ot time.

i don't know what to do next... as i already tested the RAM with a memtest.

thank you.

cl-Albert
10-31-2013, 08:13 PM
If you have multiple sticks of memory and can do this safely, try to remove them one at a time if possible to make sure they are really okay, but if it's not too difficult, try a different hard drive with a clean installation to confirm the hard drive and software aren't causing the problems either.

Ehyiah
11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
i already tried multiple memory, I moved them and nothing changed.

the HDD is quite new, I bought a new one maybe 2 years ago, but I'll try another one if you think it can be the HDD which is faulty.
I already made like 5 or 7 clean installation and nothing changed, but all on the same HDD, so i'll try what you told me.

thank you.

Zygomorphic
11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Clean installations still have the issue? Sounds like a hardware problem to me. It is possible that your HDD is failing. Check the SMART data and see if there are any attributes marked failing.

cl-Albert
11-01-2013, 04:14 PM
i already tried multiple memory, I moved them and nothing changed.

the HDD is quite new, I bought a new one maybe 2 years ago, but I'll try another one if you think it can be the HDD which is faulty.
I already made like 5 or 7 clean installation and nothing changed, but all on the same HDD, so i'll try what you told me.

thank you.

In case it wasn't clear just wanted to mention the problem might be related to the hard drive, but it could be related to other items too, so it's just a guess and if you're planning to buy another hard drive, there's the possibility it may still not solve the problem if this matters.
If you can get an external USB hard drive housing though, you can convert that hard drive to external storage if necessary?

Well, hopefully, you can find a hard drive to 'borrow' short term to test this out to find out if it's related to the problem, but it's a good idea to check the hard drive status too as Zygomorphic mentioned to see if it shows any problems.

Ehyiah
11-02-2013, 10:26 AM
hello, well I got news ... bad news i think.

When i tried to start my g60 this morning, I had a black screen and nothing came up on the screen, i didn't even had the "boom" sound when I start the PC.
So I unplugged it, and press power button for few seconds then replug it, and start again, this time the screen was working, I heard the "boom" sound, then I saw the _ in the upper left corner, then nothing more.

So i tried to start it up one more time, trying to access the BIOS and it was impossible. I can't access the BIOS anymore, and I had to unplug the PC every time I want something to show up on the screen.

So I think the HDD wasn't the problem, what do you think ?
maybe the motherboard is dead ?

Ehyiah
11-03-2013, 08:03 PM
hello again,

got news (again).

I have a black screen now every time i start my g60, but i can hear windows starting, but the screen remains black.
I tried to plug the PC to my TV with a HDMI cable but nothing shows up on the TV.

so, is my graphic card dead? or is it the motherboard ?
HDD is good, RAM is good, processor is good... it remains the motherboard and the graphic card right ?

thank you.

cl-Albert
11-04-2013, 07:12 PM
If you haven't worked with HDMI a whole lot, make sure you checked all your TV inputs since it can be easy to miss the HDMI input sometimes, or compare with a different HDMI-out system/computer if possible to make sure everything was set up correctly for HDMI out.

If you have an easy way to try an external analog vga monitor, compare with this too (may not work either though) if you think there is any chance something with the HDMI-out wasn't going right.

Anyway, it sounds like there is a serious hardware problem with the unit which may include the graphic card and/or the motherboard.

Ehyiah
11-04-2013, 10:06 PM
okay, thank you, I'm going to try with a VGA monitor when I'll go to my parents' house as I don't have any at home.

if still not working, a replacement of the graphic card may fix the issue? is there a way to detect if the motherboard is failing too ?

cl-Albert
11-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Honestly, I don't repair notebooks or follow repairs close enough to know for sure between the motherboard and graphic card which is bad, but you may also need to decide if the intermittent freezing problem is related to this current display issue or a completely separate issue which we may not find out for sure until the display issue is solved.

You may want to get more opinions since I am a little biased working for ASUS and a bit of a worrier as well, but I personally dislike putting very much money into older systems since it can be a little bit of a gamble in case something else wears out later (fans, battery, display, etc.) not to mention they can get outdated fairly quickly.

If you can get that external display working, you may be able to get a better idea of what is wrong though.