PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows 8 on new SSD

benkang89
11-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Hey Guys,

I know this topic has been asked many times but I still couldn't find a clear answer on how to do this. I tried to call the Asus hotline and they pretty much told me it's impossible without sending my laptop to Asus directly so they can do it (which will take 7 to 10 days to complete). However, there has to be a way for me to do it manually at home.

I find it weird that the G75VWs don't come with a Windows 8 recovery disc. Is there any way to do a fresh Windows 8 install on a new SSD?

rewben
11-01-2013, 02:13 AM
hi @benkang89, there is a ASUS software call backtracker for creating recovery disc/usb. check out this link (http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Download_36). however, there were inconsistencies in the success of using the tool for recovery. my best guess is that make sure your stock disk is intact. (hopefully you haven't messed with it before you use the software)

of course, the ideal way to get it done is sending it in to the service center. this is usually counter productive because of the time spent for waiting during the process.

for fresh install, yes you can always do that. check this out (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes). at the top of the first post i have tried to link to various scenarios contributed by our friends here.

Pitcher@asus
11-01-2013, 02:15 AM
asus have not provide any cd, i think you can download asus backtracker to back and recover image in USB device.

Kaelys
11-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Don't bother with a recovery disk. It's supper easy to install Windows 8 on a G75, at least that's what I found.

First what you need is a Genuine copy of OEM version of Windows 8 64bit. You can easily download this off a torrent website. It's very very important that you get the OEM version. Once you download it, burn it to a DVD.

Now your laptop should have 2 bays for an HDDs or SSDs. Put your new SSD in the one that's empty & connect it to your laptop (see guides online for how to do).

Now go ahead and install Windows 8 from the DVD. Your laptop should have a chip that's embeded with a unique identifier for Windows 8 OEM that will automatically authenticate when you install an OEM version.

benkang89
11-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks! giving this a shot tonight.

How would my computer know which drive to install Windows on? Is there a prompt during the installation?

Clintlgm
11-04-2013, 01:35 AM
You should only have the drive that you want to install to in the computer. Take the other one out until you have your OS installed and booting

benkang89
11-04-2013, 03:08 AM
You should only have the drive that you want to install to in the computer. Take the other one out until you have your OS installed and booting

Awesome, thanks. Just finished getting a copy of the OEM. Gotta give this a shot.

benkang89
11-04-2013, 06:11 AM
So I found an OEM but the cd is still asking for a valid cd key. I wrote down my original cd key and tried it but it's not working.

Edit: I just noticed that the OEM is for Windows 8.1. Would this be the issue?

Clintlgm
11-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Yes goggle for a Install only Key, thses keys will allow you to install but not activate after install you would change your product ID, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System bottom right area "change product ID"

benkang89
11-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Yes goggle for a Install only Key, thses keys will allow you to install but not activate after install you would change your product ID, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System bottom right area "change product ID"

I didn't go that route because I was able to find another Windows 8 OEM file and it worked like a charm!

One last question: How will I go about using my old harddrive just as a harddrive to put my excess files in? I was successful installing Windows 8 on the SSD but I have the second bay empty where I'd like to put in my old harddrive as extra space.

Clintlgm
11-05-2013, 02:41 PM
You should put it back to the empty slot, when you first boot up spam the escape key should bring up a boot menu, select your new SSD. once you get into window, Rename the windows folder windows.old and format that partition. If you have a external enclosure you can just put the drive in it and then plug in while your in windows. Then format the old C:\ not sure what your original drive looks like most come partition C: and D: ? your data should be on D:? Renaming your Windows to Windows.old will preserve our settings etc .I f you have every thing you need then just format that drive as a logical drive and format partitions as you want them.

The main thing here is when you put your old drive back in its important that you boot to the SSD and not your old hard drive. This could happen since both drives have bootable OS on them. Practice the boot up spamming the escape key to bring up the boot menu. After you are comfortably doing this put her in and go for it.

formatting etc can be accomplished using windows management/disk management, I prefer MiniTool partition wizard (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html)much more powerful easy to figure out. And its free

GottiBoi55
11-07-2013, 12:40 AM
I didn't go that route because I was able to find another Windows 8 OEM file and it worked like a charm!

One last question: How will I go about using my old harddrive just as a harddrive to put my excess files in? I was successful installing Windows 8 on the SSD but I have the second bay empty where I'd like to put in my old harddrive as extra space.

I use my factory installed HDD as a "Data drive", I divided it into two partitions.
I use the Data drive for all videos, music, pictures, and I install my "Games" there also!
Today's games take up way too much space on an SSD (BioShock Infinite has 3 DVDs, and takes up 17 GBs of space), so it just makes sense to install there.
Games installed there will take NO performance hit, loading times will take a small hit, but that's not a problem!

PS: Question, you did move your SSD to the primary drive location?

Clintlgm
11-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Here's what mine looks like