PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Windows 8

Liger
11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi guys, when I got the laptop I removed the second hard drive the one from the right handside bay and installed an SSD drive and installed Windows 7 on it. Now I'm kind of regretting this and wondered if there is anything at all I can do to get Windows 8 back other than buying it.

I wiped the both HDD's that came with the laptop just incase this helps?

Any information would be great!

Thanks,
H

cl-Albert
11-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Hope it's okay to take this opportunity to make a public service announcement and remind everyone who is planning to wipe their hard drive that it's a good idea to back up the original Win8 factory image to a USB drive (16Gb or larger?) first using the ASUS Backtracker software (or other methods?) at this link http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=zh-en&p=3&m=ASUS+Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa just in case you want it later?
By the way, ASUS Backtracker v3.0.3 (which I haven't tried yet) was just released yesterday for anybody having problems with the earlier version.

Anyway, to answer you question I see the options below and hopefully others have better ideas.

1. Check with your local ASUS support/service center to find out what it will take to reinstall Windows to your notebook if you can send it in for service.

2. Find somebody else with your same ASUS notebook model (like a local store?) who has a USB backup from using ASUS Backtracker that you can use to reinstall Win8.

Nehmia
11-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Why doesn't ASUS provide the backup files so one can build his own USB in case he wants to recover back to factory state rather than having to pay a visit to the service center? this would certainly be more convenient and would ease off the load of the service centers worldwide

cl-Albert
11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Not sure if you are thinking of a website download solution, but the size of the files doesn't make this practical in my humble opinion although there is likely more to it than just this concern.

Nehmia
11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah maybe licensing :(

Liger
11-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah I have no idea what my Windows key is for the Windows 8 so I doubt that I would be able to do anything other than buy a licence :-(

Nehmia
11-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Yeah I have no idea what my Windows key is for the Windows 8 so I doubt that I would be able to do anything other than buy a licence :-(

There are many Windows 8 key viewers that allow you to see the key that is built in your BIOS, but you have to be on the factory installed Windows 8 as the program cannot read directly from the BIOS

Liger
11-01-2013, 09:16 PM
There are many Windows 8 key viewers that allow you to see the key that is built in your BIOS, but you have to be on the factory installed Windows 8 as the program cannot read directly from the BIOS

I'm pretty much beat then I guess, as I don't have the key which means I can't install Wondows 8, thanks for replying though mate! Just far too eager when I got the laptop to get up and running on Windows 7, bit of a regret now wish they sent a key with the laptop.

Nehmia
11-01-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty much beat then I guess, as I don't have the key which means I can't install Wondows 8, thanks for replying though mate! Just far too eager when I got the laptop to get up and running on Windows 7, bit of a regret now wish they sent a key with the laptop.

not too late

find the Windows 8 Single Language ISO, 8, not 8.1

when you run the installer, it won't even ask you for a key provided you have Secure Boot enabled and Fast Boot Enabled

after that, when you are in Windows, use the windows key viewer to view your key

then format again and install a clean version of Windows 8.1

PM me if u need help

gazzacbr
11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
FYI,
if you really want your key from bios from your windows 7 go to
rweverything.com/downloads/RwPortableX64V1.6.5.zip
its a portable app.
Run the program Rw.exe, go to Access, click ACPI tables and when the window appears go to the MSDM tab. Your key is displayed there.

Liger
11-02-2013, 04:06 PM
FYI,
if you really want your key from bios from your windows 7 go to
rweverything.com/downloads/RwPortableX64V1.6.5.zip
its a portable app.
Run the program Rw.exe, go to Access, click ACPI tables and when the window appears go to the MSDM tab. Your key is displayed there.

Superb mate just tried this and got the key hopefully its my Windows 8 one ;-)

Nehmia
11-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Superb mate just tried this and got the key hopefully its my Windows 8 one ;-)

In that case, no need to install the Windows 8 ISO you found, jump straight toe Windows 8.1

Liger
11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
In that case, no need to install the Windows 8 ISO you found, jump straight toe Windows 8.1

Is Windows 8.1 better?

Nehmia
11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Now that you have your key, you can install Windows 8.1 directly

All the clean install guides for the G750 laptops are here:

Please do not link to sites that are soliciting for donations. Thank you.

They are a step by step instructions from A to Z with the latest updated drivers for Windows 8.1

Spot on mate, thanks a lot for this really appreciate it! Also managed to get my key, obviously won't need it but I have it now just in case. Thanks again

you won't need it if you install Windows 8 mate, but you WILL need it if you want to install Windows 8.1 (clean install) :)

What would you recommend, I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, will Windows 8.1 be better, faster etc.?

1) Windows 8.1 won't be faster

2) Windows 8 and 8.1 have a problem with the icons cache, say for example, you have a videos folder, with many movies in it, everytime you enter it, the icons will start displaying slowly, one by one, it won't save the thumbnail cache, it would actually, but when you restart, the thumbnail cache is gone, and it would do the same thing again and again

3) Windows 7 gets 10% higher benchmarks

4) Windows 8.1 never gives you a BSOD or crash, that's the only good thing about it, it's your choice

If you do install Windows 8.1, the first thing you need to do is Download and install StartIsBack+ (http://www.startisback.com/) which is the best start menu app for Windows 8.1, the license costs $3 USD but it's worth every penny. There are so many Start Menu apps out there but StartIsBack is by far the best. Remember, download StartIsBack+ not the normal StartIsBack, the + version is the Windows 8.1 supported one

Budco2000
11-03-2013, 10:01 PM
You might not need a key if you download windows 8 ISO. As soon as I got my G750, I cloned the SSD to the 1TB drive. I then use Easeus partition manager and deleted all partitions on the SSD drive including since they were cloned to the 1TB HD. I put my copy of windows 8 pro disk in, and installed my copy of windows 8 on the SSD drive. Here's the thing, It never asked me to put my key in, Windows 8 installed, then when I went to activate it, It said windows is now activated, even though I never entered the Key, and the key it activated, is different from the key that came with my windows 8 dvd. So it activated the key that came on the G750 originally which must be stored in the bios. So you might be able to download windows 8, install it, and it might activate itself. Did on mine.