PDA

View Full Version : why I Installed my own copy of windows 8 pro (I'm just Rambling)

Budco2000
11-03-2013, 11:39 PM
I was glad to see my new G750 JH come with windows 8. I bought windows 8 pro last year and installed it on my G75-VW and used it for a year. Using a program called "StartIsBack" makes it feel just like windows 7, and boots straight to the desktop. I got my new G750 and right off the bat I was annoyed. Why? Because of all the partitions. Explorer was showing drives C: D: E: F: G:. That annoyed me to death. They partitioned the SSD drive so the OS had a drive letter, the remaining free space had a drive letter, the recovery partition had a drive letter, and the 1TB hard drive had 2 partition's each with it's own letter. How annoying. I wanted C: and D: and that's it. I had no plans to ever use the 1TB drive since I was inserting the 256GB SSD I had in my G75. Between the 256GB SSD that came in the G750 and the crucial 256 SSD i been using for a year, that's plenty of storage for me. So I cloned the whole SSD that came with the G750 onto the 1TB HD. So now everything is backed up including recovery. My problem is now, I can't seem to find a program that will clone only the recovery partition to a flash drive or multiple DVD's, and i can never re-clone the 1TB backup drive back to the SSD because the source drive will be larger then the receiving drive, even if the data to be cloned on the source drive is smaller then the drive your cloning to, you'll always get the error message "the source drive is larger than the drive to be cloned"

Another kind of weird thing was when I installed my store bought copy of windows 8 pro, it never asked me to enter my key. So after windows was installed on a fresh formatted SSD drive, I went to the activation center, and it said "this copy of windows has not yet been activated, click here to activate" so I clicked and was ready to enter my key. After clicking, it said "thank you, windows is now activated" but I still never entered my key, and the key it activated was different than what came with my store bought copy of windows 8. So apparently it activated the key that came with the G750 even though I had deleted all partitions, created a new partition, formatted that partition, and started from scratch, So I guess the key was in the bios. That's the only possible way windows extracted it's own activation key.

So far the computer is perfect. No dead pixels, no lines, color is right, everything else works great. The 4 games I installed plays perfect, no over heating at all, all game options are set to the highest settings. The games I got installed right now is Left 4 Dead 2, Payday 2, Metro Last Night, and Dishonored.

My only complaint is that it is a fingerprint magnet. Just looking at the computer leaves marks lol, Oh well, it is what it is, and also no access to the fans like my G75VW. Why they moved them is beyond me, not a lot of difference between this and the G75 other than this one has better components, but no major shape or profile changes, and I had no cooling issues with the G75, so I guess they had their reasons for moving the fans.

gazzacbr
11-04-2013, 03:11 AM
Hi, are you sure you have win 8 pro now? if the lappy came with windows 8 core the installer will get this from the bios number.
all versions are in a retail install disk so in theory you should now have windows 8 core if you never entered a number.
you are right about a finger magnet. its really annoying. the lid, underside of lid and palm rest are all different materials and all collect fingerprints :(
also the bottom cover plate is badly designed. 2 of the clips have broken already. 1 superglued back on the other is gone. why not just have 3 or 4 screws? or is it designed for failure?
i took the plate off my my acer aspire dozens of times over 5 years and not 1 clip ever broke.

Budco2000
11-04-2013, 03:59 AM
Hi, are you sure you have win 8 pro now? if the lappy came with windows 8 core the installer will get this from the bios number.
all versions are in a retail install disk so in theory you should now have windows 8 core if you never entered a number.
you are right about a finger magnet. its really annoying. the lid, underside of lid and palm rest are all different materials and all collect fingerprints :(
also the bottom cover plate is badly designed. 2 of the clips have broken already. 1 superglued back on the other is gone. why not just have 3 or 4 screws? or is it designed for failure?
i took the plate off my my acer aspire dozens of times over 5 years and not 1 clip ever broke.Yep, it's windows 8 pro in retail packaging. I bought it from best buy. Came with 2 disc, a 32 and 64 bit. 29289