PDA

View Full Version : Had a power surge. Trying to evaluate possible damage.

iChun
11-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Last night there was a really bad storm and it happened to hit my area and cause a power surge. External monitor and my router, as well as the ceiling fan were knocked out by it, but that's a different story.

The AC adapter's not working anymore either, possibly the fuse's busted or the entire adapter itself, but the laptop can boot on battery (I take out the battery when I'm plugged in the adapter) and everything seems to be working fine as of now.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of damage has occured to the laptop (if any). I was actively using the laptop when the power surge happened (I didn't have a surge protector) and I felt a shock on my left hand, the only part of me that was touching the laptop at the time.

G750JX, Windows 8.1. SSD (Primary) and Secondary Hard Drive appear to be working fine. Wifi/monitor/keyboard/touchpad/speakers working as well.

hmscott
11-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Last night there was a really bad storm and it happened to hit my area and cause a power surge. External monitor and my router, as well as the ceiling fan were knocked out by it, but that's a different story.

The AC adapter's not working anymore either, possibly the fuse's busted or the entire adapter itself, but the laptop can boot on battery (I take out the battery when I'm plugged in the adapter) and everything seems to be working fine as of now.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of damage has occured to the laptop (if any). I was actively using the laptop when the power surge happened (I didn't have a surge protector) and I felt a shock on my left hand, the only part of me that was touching the laptop at the time.

G750JX, Windows 8.1. SSD (Primary) and Secondary Hard Drive appear to be working fine. Wifi/monitor/keyboard/touchpad/speakers working as well.

iChun, it sounds like you lucked out and provided a path for the current through the laptop case to ground that wasn't injurious to your laptop, or you! :)

You can check all the port functions, ethernet, display ports, usb, etc to make sure they all function.

Wireless BT and Wifi function are likely already part of your daily use, but if not, check them too.

The Laser Turret just over the front facing camera might be down a TerraWatt or two for a while, but should retain function and improve output over time. Watch out for a power surge during your first firing after the lightning strike, the capacitive pre-load might have an over charge due to the extraneous current introduced during the lightning strike.

Other than that... get a fricking surge protector on all your stuff - Sheeez!!! ;)

If you are in a lightning prone area, you should look into a serious copper grounding system for your house, if it doesn't already have one. Deep ground rods, Lightning arrester's, surge protector's all work together to protect you and your home.

bloowhalez
11-05-2013, 04:55 AM
why doesnt mine have the laser

hmscott
11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
why doesn't mine have the laser

Only available on the G750JSF-MK4/B

Maxter
11-07-2013, 04:57 PM

You can test the RAM using memtest86, CPU using Prime95 and GPU using Kombustor, to make sure they are ok and running stable. All three softwares are free and they perform a stress test to see that everything is ok. But in any case, if you are not getting BSOD, you should be fine already.