PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 is not assigning drive letters for my external drives

Clintlgm
11-06-2013, 02:36 AM
I've been on a clean install of win 8.1 for a few days now. I've noticed that my usb external drives are not getting assigned drive letters, they show up in disk management and I can assign drive letter. They work, and come up with drive letters after a reboot.

Pitcher@asus
11-06-2013, 03:58 AM
you mean you can see the dervice in device manager, but have not volum like (E:, F:) or? can you tell detial about your problem or post photo?

Apexing
11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Try this :)

open command prompt

type in diskpart

automount enable

Clintlgm
11-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Well it's starting to look like I just bought 5 8Gb SanDisk cruzers thumb drives that aren't working correctly. This all started with trying to make a USB Reflect Recovery Media. After having failures with 2 of these drives. I used another one different the one I had been using for Acronis Recovery media. This one worked and the recovery media was successful and tested out. It boots all my drives and external drives where my images are stored are visible and accessible.
So I'm going to deal with SanDisk and see what the problem may be. If that's not successful Back to Amazon they go

Update: wasted an hour of so with SanDisk, Sent them back to Amazon for refund