PDA

View Full Version : Is stock ram XMP tweak-able?

ZiggZagg
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi guys. I need a bit of clarification concerning the new ram type(s) around these days so I don't cause my new g750jx to "brain fart" at a crucial moment... I can't locate a clear answer even on Google.

I just bought an 8gb stick of Crucial ram... the type Asus says to use in the comp right down to the 1.35v; to increase from the 12gb it shipped with to 20gb.
Question: Will installing the 8gig stick in the "open" slot next to the factory installed 4gig stick screw up any timings or cause any linear memory access problems? What I mean is does the larger stick need to be installed in any particular one of the four slots to avoid problems?

Also, I was wondering: Is the memory that ships with the ROG laptops (specifically the 750jx) XMP tweak -able? That is, would the 8gig stick of Crucial memory mentioned above be XMP recognizable or does it need to say I on the packaging?

And... will installing the 8gig stick mess up memory tweaking in the bios if indeed the stock ram is XMP recognizable and the added ram is not?
Would the memory be tweak-able (through the stock bios) if in fact I were to invest in XMP tweak-able ram?

Thanks fellas for any help, ZZ

MrRuckus
11-06-2013, 06:24 PM
I checked in the Bios and did not see any Ram timings that could be manipulated. You could try with only XMP ram in the machine, but I doubt it. Even though this laptop is a ROG product, there's really no tweaking to be seen in the Bios. At least with secure boot enabled. I haven't tried legacy mode.

My G750 came with 24GB stock which looks to be Hynix Ram. HWiNFO64 will give this info.

ZiggZagg
11-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the reply MrRuckus. Mine came (is coming tomorrow) w/12gb. I wanted to fill in the open slot with as much as I could find to start. I've played with computers for a lotta years and every time I want (require) an upgraded machine to handle contemporary software I need to research which is no problem. It's when I can't find a clear/pertinent answer that bugs me.... hence my ram queries. The model I'm getting is jx-rb71which only describes the different options (the rb-71). I do believe that you can download a different bios that actually allows you to tweak and over-clock. I've been perusing the forum so fast the last few days I haven't yet commited to memory where a lot of info is but look/ask around about the bios.... it promises to be a blast:) ZZ

villiansv
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
There's no way to change RAM timings in the BIOS. As for overclocking, the only things you can overclock are the CPU (via XTU, changing multiplier only) and GPU. None of these would affect RAM speeds.

If a custom bios is available that allows you to do this, great. Would be nice if you could share a link, if you find it.

ZiggZagg
11-07-2013, 01:17 AM
I may have misspoken about the bios. I've seen threads mentioning "updating" the bios... maybe that's what was going through my mind. Sorry if I mislead or created erroneous giggles :D.

ZZ