PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Compound

Aurora
11-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I`ve been using my G75 for over a year now with extreme gaming, I think its time to refresh thermal compound on gpu and cpu to prevent any possible damage. Which thermal paste I should buy? I know IC Diamond is the best but 35$ is bit too much. What is the best one after IC diamond?

UnAimed
11-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Get some MX-4 or Gelid GC-Extreme, another favourite of mine is ZALMAN ZM - STG1because it's super easy to apply.

I do suggest you stay away from Artic Silver 5(AS5) as it's outdated and beaten by many non-conductive thermal pastes which are safer to use, especially if you want to reapply thermal paste on a mobile CPU/GPU as they don't have heatspreaders.

ggBanks
11-07-2013, 01:24 PM
I've used AS Ceramique and its pretty good, now I'm with IC Diamond and its a bit better, but not with a major margin. The Ceramique is non-conductive, cheap and that's why I recommend it!

Aurora
11-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Zalman stg1 has bad reviews mostly. I agree on Silver 5 being outdated, though it is suggested on every forum I go.

Seems like these are the options

IC Diamond 7
Arctic Silver 5,
Arctic Cooling Mx-4,
Thermaltake Grease TG-3 / TG-2

Apexing
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
GC-Extreme is what I used.

Spydyr
11-07-2013, 09:17 PM
GC-Extreme is what I have used for years and I love it. Next on my list is MX-4.

UnAimed
11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Zalman stg1 has bad reviews mostly. I agree on Silver 5 being outdated, though it is suggested on every forum I go.

Seems like these are the options

IC Diamond 7
Arctic Silver 5,
Arctic Cooling Mx-4,
Thermaltake Grease TG-3 / TG-2

The Zalman one is not the best but it is very easy to apply, I threw it in there because I wasn't sure how familiar you are with applying thermal paste. Also, when reading the forums, check the dates because they are likely very old threads, AS5 is outdated and there are like I said, much better alternatives that are not conductive.

I've used AS Ceramique and its pretty good, now I'm with IC Diamond and its a bit better, but not with a major margin. The Ceramique is non-conductive, cheap and that's why I recommend it!

The Ceramic version of Artic silver performs worse than both Gelid GC and MX4 and even AS5 (2c)

SpasTaz0917
11-08-2013, 06:36 AM
I recommend the Arctic MX 4
I've used AS5 but cleaned it off after a few weeks to repaste with MX 4

Temps are not that different, since it's a laptop with minuscule heat sinks and pipes