PDA

View Full Version : G73JH second hard drive disappears sometimes, any ideas?

Sean72
11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
My G73JH (bought from Tiger Direct) has two HDDs and the second one disappears from the system while running sometimes, maybe once every couple weeks now. It started doing this a few months back and has become an irritation. Some points...

-When this happens, I have tried the device manager and the disk manager in Win 7 and cannot access or re-discover the drive until reboot.

-I usually just get one main error The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period. The errors after that are just the system trying to figure out what to do with the data after the HDD disappeared.

-The drive has a clean bill of health from HDSentinel which I own and run.

-I've checked the connection cables to the HDD and they seem fine, well-connected.

-I've dismantled my G73 all the way down to the graphics card level for cleaning 2 or 3 times, and re-assembled it. The only issue that I have had after this is the built-in microphone stopped working, even though I've checked and it is still plugged into the board.

-The drive usually reappears on the first reboot, but once took several reboots to show up.

Any input or suggestions would be great. The G73JH is an awesome machine!

billyray520
11-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Check this link. (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3356c10e-673f-4882-9e5d-b9d61bafce9f/the-device-deviceideiastor0-did-not-respond-within-the-timeout-period?forum=w7itprogeneral) About half way down.

Sean72
11-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Great, looks like that might do it, thanks.