PDA

View Full Version : SSD install help

ZeroTolerance
11-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi guys,

I have a big problem now. I got the ssd, i removed the HDD from the right bay as someone suggested and installed the SSD in there. I had to also remove my second HDD since people say not to install Windows with a second HDD plugged in.
I tried to remove the second HDD BUT 2 screws WON'T get out, unlike the other 4 I already removed. No matter what I do, it is insane.

Plus, when I turned on the pc again, I am in Windows like nothing happened (wasn't the main drive supposed to be on right bay?) and the SSD is not even recognized, I used diskpart to convert it to gpt and now I would be supposed to assign a drive letter for it, but that's not the real problem, since I figured that out.
I have to install Windows on the SSD, but with NO CHANCE to remove those screws and remove the second HDD, and with the current HDD with windows in it, what do I have to do?

Thanks guys

Nehmia
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
you are right, the SSD should be in the right bay which is IDE 0

and when installing Windows only have one storage device connected otherwise your boot files will stretch across to the second drive

you HAVE to get those screw off no other way

reka121402
11-08-2013, 04:21 PM
First, the screws will come out of the HDD mounting holes it just may take a lot of torque on your part, and damage could possibly occur to the threads, but the mechanics of the HDD have nothing to do with the mounting holes and your wont damage the drive. It could also be some idiot that built the thing used Loctite (screw glue) on the threads of the screw and you just need to break the bond with a bit of force. Blue loctite is medium strength, red is very strong.

This is the method I used when upgrading to a new Samsung 840pro
1) Use Asus Backtracker and a 8GB usb drive to backup your system to the USB stick
2) Shut down laptop. Remove battery. Remove AC cord.
3) Open Drive bay under laptop and remove all drives.
4) I put my SSD in the left bay, I don't know that it matters.
5) Close bay. Install battery. Install AC.
6) Insert USB stick
7) Turn on and let Asus Backtracker restore OS
7a) Once done I like to do a complete shut down, restart to confirm there aren't any boot issues.
8) Shut down. Remove power sources. Open drive bay. Install HDD in the other slot.
9) Reinstall power and boot into windows. I had to do two boots in order for Windows to see the HDD, but it only happened the first time and seems to be a normal issue.
10) format HDD in windows.

Nehmia
11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Here is a proof how problematic it can be if you install Windows with a 2nd HDD installed:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/38913-No-boot-after-removing-2nd-hard-drive

and another one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1629774/windows-install-requires-secondary-hard-drive-boot.html#.

ZeroTolerance
11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
There is no way to get them off, it's like they were soldered. I would have to cut the flaps of the HDD slot.
What if I install Windows on the SSD and then format the other drive?

ZeroTolerance
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
First, the screws will come out of the HDD mounting holes it just may take a lot of torque on your part, and damage could possibly occur to the threads, but the mechanics of the HDD have nothing to do with the mounting holes and your wont damage the drive. It could also be some idiot that built the thing used Loctite (screw glue) on the threads of the screw and you just need to break the bond with a bit of force. Blue loctite is medium strength, red is very strong.

This is the method I used when upgrading to a new Samsung 840pro
1) Use Asus Backtracker and a 8GB usb drive to backup your system to the USB stick
2) Shut down laptop. Remove battery. Remove AC cord.
3) Open Drive bay under laptop and remove all drives.
4) I put my SSD in the left bay, I don't know that it matters.
5) Close bay. Install battery. Install AC.
6) Insert USB stick
7) Turn on and let Asus Backtracker restore OS
7a) Once done I like to do a complete shut down, restart to confirm there aren't any boot issues.
8) Shut down. Remove power sources. Open drive bay. Install HDD in the other slot.
9) Reinstall power and boot into windows. I had to do two boots in order for Windows to see the HDD, but it only happened the first time and seems to be a normal issue.
10) format HDD in windows.

That's what I planned to do, but with no chance to remove the 2nd HDD how do I go for it? Is there ANY solution?

Nehmia
11-08-2013, 04:28 PM
There is no way to get them off, it's like they were soldered. I would have to cut the flaps of the HDD slot.
What if I install Windows on the SSD and then format the other drive?

then you won't be able to boot as stated in the threads above :(

reka121402
11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I hear what you are saying about the screws, and I've said it in my life about other things, but I'm telling you they WILL come out. Loctite acts exactly like you are describing and can be a real PITA but it does have a breaking point, you just need to make sure not to strip the screw head.

High quality tools will help a LOT in this area. If you have a friend with a good shop, or want to take it to a computer service center they should have what you need. A high quality screw driver, with a high strength (non stripped) head and a good grip should break any bond holding those little HD cage screws. Hell, you should be able eventually snap the screw head clean off with enough torque which also solves your problem lol.

And Nehima is right, you have to get those other drives out before doing a recover or new install.

villiansv
11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
I agree - the screws for the drives are atrocious. You have to be very careful or you risk destroying the head of the screw (and then you have to get creative with tweezers and the like). make sure you use the correct phillips head size, OR (this worked better for me), get a REALLY small flathead screwdriver that will fit entirely in the phillips head thread of the screw. This flathead will not "slip" and ruin the head of the screw, but may be too narrow for you to grip firmly and be able to exert enough force to unscrew.

You can always, as suggested, head to any pc repair shop - they will have the correct size screwdrivers.

I am however not convinced that you have to install Windows with only a single drive in the system. I installed on my SSD with no issues, while having a HDD in the other bay (both drives swapped out from my old system, HDD had my media files on).

Nehmia
11-08-2013, 04:57 PM
I agree - the screws for the drives are atrocious. You have to be very careful or you risk destroying the head of the screw (and then you have to get creative with tweezers and the like). make sure you use the correct phillips head size, OR (this worked better for me), get a REALLY small flathead screwdriver that will fit entirely in the phillips head thread of the screw. This flathead will not "slip" and ruin the head of the screw, but may be too narrow for you to grip firmly and be able to exert enough force to unscrew.

You can always, as suggested, head to any pc repair shop - they will have the correct size screwdrivers.

I am however not convinced that you have to install Windows with only a single drive in the system. I installed on my SSD with no issues, while having a HDD in the other bay (both drives swapped out from my old system, HDD had my media files on).

you don't need to be convinced, this is a known fact since ages and the 2 threads above PROVE IT, if you didn't face the issue it means your boot files weren't on the 2nd HDD somehow you got lucky, but that's not the way it should be done PERIOD

Duke of Alinor
11-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Get out a magnifying glass, check out the screw slots.
Find your closest fit, clean the screw and driver well.
Epoxy the screw driver into the screw.

or

Take a Dremel tool and cut the head off the screw.
The drive will be fine with two screws holding it.

or

Use the smallest size Vice Grips, I think they are 6". The screw heads are very slightly raised but with skill you can grip them.

reka121402
11-10-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm sorry but the epoxy idea is just plain stupid, and this is the second time i've had to contradict you DukeofAlinor. Epoxy is corrosive, conductive in some cases, and not even remotely strong enough to surpass the grip strength of loctite which is what sounds like the problem is.

The dremel idea is what i would reccomend if the screw head is already stripped out AND your vice grip idea doesn't work.

Vice grip idea is the best, but only if you are ready to distroy the screw completely, which we are not at that point yet.

ZeroTolerance
11-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Problem solved. I brought everything to a computer service just to remove those 2 screws and they did it.
I installed Windows and then plugged in the second HDD. Everything works just fine, thanks guys!

Nehmia
11-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Problem solved. I brought everything to a computer service just to remove those 2 screws and they did it.
I installed Windows and then plugged in the second HDD. Everything works just fine, thanks guys!
so how did the service center remove those screws?