PDA

View Full Version : G53SW Freezing After Hibernation

Selenarious
09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi guys,

As the title says, I've often found my G53SW (with Windows 7) freezing after waking up from hibernation; this only happens when it wakes from hibernation.

By freezing I mean: initially the mouse still responds, but anything I click on (or press Enter on) seems to have no effect, in other words the system doesnt repond at all (including control + alt + del, or the power button to force shutdown). Later a while the mouse no longer responds either, along with the system, and the only way I can shut down is to remove all power source.

Later on I decided to try shutting down the computer, as soon as its awoke from hibernation. In other words I am trying to shut it down before the freezing problem even occurs. What happened next confused me: the screen displays the "system logging out", then it displays the "system is shutting down", and stays there forever, never shutting down. However, at that stage, pressing the power button to force shutdown DOES work.

I'm wondering if this is a one-off problem with my laptop or whether other G53SW users are experiencing the same thing. Thanks in advance for any input :)

iraqiboy90
09-03-2011, 01:36 PM
SSD or HDD?

Chastity@ASUS
09-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I would try disabling hibernation, then re-enable it, so that it recreates the hibernation file.

Selenarious
09-06-2011, 01:56 AM
@ iraqiboy90: It is an HDD
@ Chastity: I already have done so, it doesnt fix the problem.

On the bright side, I cleared my entire logs in the Event Viewer, and hence was able to capture the Errors that occurred in the vicinity of the freezing. I've attached 4 screenshots each giving a description of those Errors. Please take a look and kindly provide suggestions.

As you can see the forced shutdown by me occurred at 13:32:21

Also, for the Application Hang, I think that was me attempting to open Task Manager and even though it successfully opened, it became unresponsive (firefox first became unresponsive which indicated to me this problem was coming...) so i had to close it.

2614 2617 2616 2615

xeromist
09-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Do you have the latest BIOS for the laptop and firmware for the HDD? Hibernation problems can sometimes be traced to miscommunication between those two major components.

Selenarious
09-08-2011, 07:21 AM
@xeromist: Yes i do.

Btw, if u look at my screenshots above, I would've guessed "ESENT warning" is the thing causing the problem. However, shortly after my last post, I experienced yet another freezing (after hibernation as usual). And then I checked the Events Viewer again.

It turns out that the "ESENT warning" is not there this time. In fact, the only thing recorded was the "EventLog error" and the "Kernel-Power critical". Both of which are of course expected but doesn't really lend light to what the problem is.

Otherwise, the only kind of errors I am getting frequently is the "Bonjour Service error" (Bonjour Service is iPod related), though I doubt that is what's causing these freezing, simply because they are occurring not at times close to the freezing itself at all. In fact, they didn't even occur before my last two freezing (ie. after I cleared my Event Log).
On the other hand, the description of the "Bonjour Service error" does include something along the lines of ... mDNSCoreMachineSleep, as u can see in the screenshot.

averyc4
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
I am having the exact same problem with my ASUS G53SW. Almost every time, after waking up from hibernation, about 30 seconds to a minute later it will freeze. I can move the mouse, but clicking/key presses do nothing. It lasts about a minute or more and then everything i've clicked while it was frozen will execute. Any help on this would be great... it's really frustrating coming from a brand new laptop. And yes, i have the latest bios installed.

JRd1st
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I am having the exact same problem with my ASUS G53SW. Almost every time, after waking up from hibernation, about 30 seconds to a minute later it will freeze. I can move the mouse, but clicking/key presses do nothing. It lasts about a minute or more and then everything i've clicked while it was frozen will execute. Any help on this would be great... it's really frustrating coming from a brand new laptop. And yes, i have the latest bios installed.

My daughter had that problem it was caused by Skype. Fully exit Skype then try again.

Chastity@ASUS
10-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Then you probably have an app running that doesn't like hibernate. You can disable hibernate, and just use sleep, tho watch the battery levels.

fuzon1337
10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Perhaps you could try out CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard) and run the "register" in that program, to check if you find any problems with your computer :)

(if you find, you may want to take backup of the files (the program asks/guide you thru) if something would go wrong). I used/using that program on an older notebook, and that computer (Asus 50DAB series) was slightly faster and bugs gone away :)

But with this I don't say that it would fix your problem, but it will find things in the register that slow downs your notebook :)

First I would take a look at what the other moderator(s)/member(s) says of the problem you discovering. :)

averyc4
10-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I actually did solve it... turns out it was Avira anti virus... I think it's an issue with win 7 and avira possibly because i have it on 3 other comps that run vista and have no problems. When the comp wakes up avira times out when checking some files, i guess cause the pc is busy after waking up. Whatever the case, switching to AVG solved it