PDA

View Full Version : Run XP Image with G75 and Windows 8?

perryrpj
11-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Hi,

Newbie to this forum, but not an Asus newbie. I am typing this on one of my P3B-F mobo boxes. :)

Well, I finally decided being bottle necked at 1.4Ghz in 2013 was a bit ridiculous, so, I threw caution to the wind and purchased a G75VW-BHI7N07 with Windows 8 loaded on it.

So far, it appears to be great. I even half way like Win 8. BUT......I have an XP SP3 (32 bit) image that I have used since....um.....basically Win 95a (always upgrading never clean install--works for me). My question is, of course I would like to continue to use Windows 8, but, since I have several hundred apps on my XP image, I also need to access that on my G75VW. My G75 came with a 1TB 5400 and I purchased a black 750GB. I have ~19TB of storage, mostly PATA and USB, but have all kinds of adapters, and am not afraid to experiment, in fact, I enjoy it.

I would very much welcome advice to method and/or links to be able to also access my XP (32 bit) image on my G75VW. It seems I have the following options (in order of preference), and would love to know what might work:

1. Use PCMover to move my XP (32 bit) into Windows 8 (64 bit), keeping most apps and settings. I have used PCMover once, using it to combine two computers. Worked great and didn't even have to uninstall NAV. IME, their customer service was great.

2. Run my XP image in a Virtual Machine. I've never used a VM, but it sounds like it might work very well, not requiring a reboot, or hunting for XP drivers? My G75VW only came with 8GB RAM, can go to 16GB, or, I think even 32GB (voiding the warranty). No biggie. it is only 90 days anyway because it is a refurb, and I'm giving it the best work out that I can.

3. Dual boot Windows 8 and XP. Preferably, I would like to do this all on my 750GB black (using it as main drive, just make partitions), because it is 7200rpm and the 1TB is only 5400rpm. If I have to, I could dual boot with Win 8 on the 750 and XP on the 1TB.

I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum. Mods, please move the post if I have. I only found this forum a week ago. Very cool. Asus did well to make this forum, thus establishing themselves as a gaming option to the much more expensive Alienware. Now, if they would only pimp in the UFC like Alienware. :)

Thank y'all for your time,
perryrpj

Myk SilentShadow
11-12-2013, 01:59 AM
If you have working hardware that can still run XP, keep it and keep it running. At least that way you won't have to slipstream the AHCI drivers into a boootable XP image. Though it is a snap to do. Most of the drivers for your 75VW will most likely still have XP support and you can slipstream them too to make install time shorter in the long run. As far as your PATA drives are concerned, you could always scour Ebay for a NAS type box that has a USB connector, that way you don't have to buy however many external enclosures as you'd need.

Oh and welcome to the ROG Forums :)

perryrpj
11-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Myk SilentShadow, thank you for the welcome to the forum. Asus has always been great for me since circa ~2000 and my P3B-F mobos. Actually, I have two identical boxes set up that have the same hardware, and as close to possible, the same XP images. The one I'm typing on is my main box. I think people would be amazed at my "update only" path from W95a to XP SP3, and the stability of my system without a clean install since Windows 95a, but that's for another forum.

Yes, my Dad just went to a NAS box, but I'm in no hurry.....yet. I've got plenty of storage to play with images on (and know how to wipe and start clean). Slipstreaming is sort of familiar to me, but AHCI drivers only what I've read about the laptop.

I am really looking forward to the G75 speeding up my XP apps plus installing games on Win 8. I would love comments on getting my ~350GB bootable XP image to run in conjunction with Windows 8 on my G75. I am definitely willing to experiment, but I imagine many people have already done it.

Suggestions on what to try, websites, blogs, etc.?

Thanks so much for taking the time,
perryrpj