PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750 game stuttering or lag when run on battery help please!!!

MCOSTA
11-12-2013, 03:55 AM
Asus G750 game stuttering or lag when run on battery even when run on high performance
when i plug in the power cord seems working well no lag or stuttering but when i unplug the power cord the game stutters soo
anoying!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( PLEASE HELP!!

Myk SilentShadow
11-12-2013, 04:02 AM
That is perfectly normal. Laptop batteries aren't powerful enough to last long under intensive use. It's the way it is.

MCOSTA
11-12-2013, 05:32 AM
but it doesn't do that on my cousins laptop

iweber95
11-12-2013, 05:54 AM
you need to download 208 bios and install and then make sure on ur battery settings its not set to throttle your proformance

Maxter
11-12-2013, 05:56 AM
What BIOS version do you have? you might have something below 208; this would be the reason to your issue.

Pitcher@asus
11-12-2013, 06:06 AM
i suggest you plug ac adapter to play game, because if you only plug battery, the performace just helf, so even you set to high performace.

MCOSTA
11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
i have 208 bios the latest one

villiansv
11-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Your GPU will not run at full speed when on battery. This is due to the battery not able to provide enough power - the GPU is especially power hungry. All gaming laptops do this, and there is no way around it at the moment. Your cousin's laptop likely has a weaker GPU that doesn't need as much power, so it's able to run at full speed. Nvidia is also to blame for not providing more power states for their GPUs, it's either all or almost nothing with them.

MCOSTA
11-12-2013, 01:08 PM
do all the g750 models do this ??????????????????

villiansv
11-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Read my post, mate.

Shawnnepc
11-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Yes.

It's also not an ASUS exclusive issue.

Maxter
11-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Actually, after the 208 upgrade there should be no issues. The GPU will work to its max when needed. The issue is a hard drive lag. There is a post somewhere in this forum that talks about removing the HD lag when on battery.

cl-Albert
11-12-2013, 05:37 PM

@MCOSTA, as others mentioned, battery performance will not be as good as AC power performance, but if you wamt to look into it more, we can try to make sure you're getting as much battery performance as you should (from your cpu?).

Anyway, if you have the ASUS Power4Gear software installed (Fn+Space), make sure it's set to 'performance' mode and monitor your cpu speed in task manager to make sure it's getting above 0.77Ghz when you stress the system.
Some people prefer to get rid of the ASUS Power4Gear software and use their own settings, but it may not always be necessary.

This thread is a bit long, but has information about this if you're interested http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35062-Processor-stuck-at-.77Ghz-when-unplugged-solved-w-new-bios&country=&status=.

villiansv
11-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Actually, after the 208 upgrade there should be no issues. The GPU will work to its max when needed. The issue is a hard drive lag. There is a post somewhere in this forum that talks about removing the HD lag when on battery.

Not true, the GPU is locked down to its lowest power state on battery and this can't be changed. If you could change it, the battery would likely catch fire as the power draw would be way too much.

Maxter
11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Not true, the GPU is locked down to its lowest power state on battery and this can't be changed. If you could change it, the battery would likely catch fire as the power draw would be way too much.

I disagree. If you activate GPU-Z on a second monitor to keep open while playing you'll see that the GPU will be active at the needed clocks, and sometimes even OC itself. The story on the battery catching fire was the explanation we had to why CPU was locked at 0.77 GHz before the 208 update (or so I understood).

reka121402
11-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Two things:
1) Please give more info about what problems you are having. I understand you are having game slowdowns, but what games, what kind of fps are you getting, what are your settings, and what is your cousin's laptop brand/model so we have a baseline for comparison.

2) If you have already updated to the 208 bios, did you ever uninstall Power4Gear? P4G still locks down the cpu while on battery mode to .77GHz, so uninstall it and run off regular Windows power management. Also, you can use Alt+Ctrl+Delete to open your task manager, then go to the Performance tab to see the speeds your cpu is running at.

villiansv
11-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I disagree. If you activate GPU-Z on a second monitor to keep open while playing you'll see that the GPU will be active at the needed clocks, and sometimes even OC itself. The story on the battery catching fire was the explanation we had to why CPU was locked at 0.77 GHz before the 208 update (or so I understood).

The CPU's TDP is 47W (max draw) while the 770M has a TDP of 75W. 780M has 122W. The battery can not output that much power (check your battery specs to see for yourself), hence you get throttling. Pre-208 BIOS the CPU was locked to 0.77GHz to keep the CPU draw down. 208 enabled the CPU to scale, but if you expect the GPU to also run full throttle, you are very much mistaken. It may try to spike once or twice (so in that respect it isn't hard-locked to min power draw, and I was wrong to say that), but will not be able to get the current to operate at max speed. So in the end it's effectively running at low speed. Run Furmark + gpu-z and you'll see what I mean.

You also have to remember that the laptop has a lot of other components that also need power, so it's not just the CPU and GPU. As already stated, battery tech has to catch up before battery performance equals plugged-in performance.

What game you play also makes a difference, as they stress the GPU differently and make it use more or less power. In general though, it's no good to game on battery, as the OP noticed.

Maxter
11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
I have the weakest 765m GPU which also sucks 75W. I think we are both right on this one villiansv. GPU is not hard-locked and will spike as needed, and so will the CPU. But there is no chance for the battery to allow for both to spike at the same time. Makes me think there has to be a bad ass controller for this to happen so nicely. But I do agree with OP as well; gaming on battery is not the best. Cheers!

bloowhalez
11-13-2013, 01:24 AM
omg, a battery is not going to power a 2.8ghz quadcore and a 800mhz gpu. it just doesnt do it. its like a drop of gas in a v8 and saying it wont go fast.

you need more juice for more performance.

also, your cousins laptop probably stinks. if not, the battery lasts an hour while gaming.

MCOSTA
11-13-2013, 05:56 AM
guys about the lagg AND STUTTERING ON THE LAPTOP.. (ON BATTERY) i removed asus Power4Gear software didnt make a difference at all
my laptop specs
Asus G750JW (Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD and GTX 765M
MY COUSINS LAPTOP IS MSI GE70 - (Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4GHz Processor, 750GB HDD, 8GB DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
we both play gmes like cryiss 2 and fifa 14

MCOSTA
11-13-2013, 05:59 AM
guys about the lagg AND STUTTERING ON THE LAPTOP.. (ON BATTERY) i removed asus Power4Gear software didnt make a difference at all
my laptop specs
Asus G750JW (Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD and GTX 765M
MY COUSINS LAPTOP IS MSI GE70 - (Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.4GHz Processor, 750GB HDD, 8GB DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
we both play gmes like cryiss 2 and fifa 14

reka121402
11-13-2013, 02:39 PM
and what are the settings and fps you are getting from both laptops?

Your cousin's laptop is a very nice one and a direct comparison to the G750 it almost all ways, but sadly the battery performance on the G750 is at the bottom of the list for gaming laptops and is just something that we are stuck with. The battery itself is smaller than the one on the GE70 and it is a generation old since it is a direct copy from the Asus G75 laptop.

If you could, and maybe you already did since it sounds like you know your way around a computer, check the cpu clock in Task Manager just to confirm it is above .77GHz. Right now on my G750JX with 208 bios I'm clocking between 1.1GHz and 1.8GHz, that is with nothing running except Google Chrome.

MrRuckus
04-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Why would you game on battery? These are meant to be portable desktop replacements, but plugged in while gaming. You can use them to browse or light desktop duty when on battery, but are not meant for gaming on battery. Enabling a discrete GPU on a gaming laptop on battery is most of the time not advisable. I wouldn't want to do it for the simple strain it will put on your battery. Discrete GPU gaming laptops are completely different animals from normal everyday laptops.