PDA

View Full Version : G750JX Weight and Portability Reviews !

rajeshtechfreak
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
I was planning to get a ASUS G750JX CV069P in India
It comes with (24GB RAM and 750GB * 2 HDD )
But one last thing i'm concerned about is the weight and portability . Different reviews give different weights for the different models .. I just wanted to know what you guys think is the ACTUAL weight of the laptop ( with 2 hard drives ) .. If someone could measure it using a weighing scale it'd be great . The Weight Excluding the Charger ! Just the laptop !

I'd be carrying it to college once in a while like 10 times a month ! I love the specs of this beast !
Should I go for it ?
Please share your views regarding the weight and how often you guys carry it around and if youre fine with the portability aspect ! Please help me make a decision guys !

reka121402
11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
It is heavy, but so is every single gaming laptop. I carry it from home -> work -> home everyday and it doesn't bother me at all, but if I were to add 25lbs. of books it would be very cumbersome.

Honestly, the physical size is the hardest bit to work with. It's just big.

villiansv
11-13-2013, 05:30 PM
I don't have scales, but can offer a bit of insight. My previous laptop was a Clevo P170HM, and I weighed it at some point - it was 4kg. This one is definitely heavier. If I had to guess, I'd say it's close to 5kg, and that seems in line with official Asus specs (which claim 4.6kg).

rajeshtechfreak
11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't have scales, but can offer a bit of insight. My previous laptop was a Clevo P170HM, and I weighed it at some point - it was 4kg. This one is definitely heavier. If I had to guess, I'd say it's close to 5kg, and that seems in line with official Asus specs (which claim 4.6kg).

Is that the weight including the charger or excluding it ? Because I saw many reviews where they said it weights around 8.8pounds ( 4kgs) and the charger an extra 600grams ! I'm still uncertain about this . Some reviews even say that its light for a gaming laptop !

rajeshtechfreak
11-13-2013, 07:46 PM
It is heavy, but so is every single gaming laptop. I carry it from home -> work -> home everyday and it doesn't bother me at all, but if I were to add 25lbs. of books it would be very cumbersome.

Honestly, the physical size is the hardest bit to work with. It's just big.

Thanks for the reply :)
I don't have to carry a lot of books just 2-3 !
So you don't feel the weight once you get used to it .. is it ?
This is going to be my first gaming laptop !

Maxter
11-13-2013, 08:12 PM
I carry it everyday to work and home with the plug, even though I don't use it all the time (battery is really good). Weight is ok. If I had to be carrying something else though? say a book or 2, it would be way heavy. I use a 1 strap carry bag (a modified samsonite that was made for 16 in laptops - thanks wife!)

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 08:14 PM
It is basically a desktop replacement, so it does weight a lot, but its less then the previous revisions. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference from one G750 to another as far as weight. They have to be within a pound or 2 of one another.

You keep asking about without the charger. Please keep in mind that this laptop while better then most of the same scale, does not have a long battery life. I think its around 3 hours. Most gaming laptops are around 2 or even less. Running games on battery is not advised and would be drastically less!

A standard laptop battery which could last 5-6 hours you just cant see in a gaming laptop because of the hardware used. Just a friendly FYI. Goodluck!

reka121402
11-13-2013, 10:12 PM
If you want an idea of the weight, just drop a 10lb free-weight or dumbell in your backpack. You never really get used to the extra weight, but the knowledge that the weight is from a very nice laptop makes it easily bearable.

But again, the phyiscal size (to me) is worse than the weight.

Flea0
11-13-2013, 10:32 PM
picking up the laptop and carrying it around is no problem at all if you're a man. It weighs closer to 4 than to 4.5 kg but it doesn't feel dense, aka when you pick it up it doesn't feel any heavier than it looks. It also hides its thickness rather well. the real problem with transporting it is it's width and depth, especially the latter which is greater than almost any other 17 inch laptop out there because of the rear cooling system. Buy a good backpack with good straps and the weight will barely be noticeable. Just don't throw in too many books along with it.

Bozzified
11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Not much to add here but that I carry the laptop with me in a bag and I really don't feel that laptop is super heavy.. Is it heavier than an ultrabook or mac book pro? Sure.. but then again, it has a 17.3" screen, amazing hardware and extendibility. I have 2 hard drives in and I replaced my optical drive with an HDD caddy for 3rd drive storage.

I feel that laptop is still fairly portable even with higher weight.

rajeshtechfreak
11-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Guys the main issue that I'm facing here is that I don't know whether to go for this budget friendly ( for a gaming laptop ) G750JX or to just buy a normal mid range i7 4th gen laptop with a decent graphic card 80k in india (about 1400USD ) that can't play even BF4 on high and has 5400rpm hard drives !

at about 600USD and a lot of goodies like Nvidia 3d vision etc coming with it .. Should i go for this gaming rig ? Or build a desktop instead ?
I'm really confused . Help me guys ! I can't make a decision !

Do you guys think that in a year there will be thin mid range laptops having the same GTX 770 ??
If that's what its going to be like then i wouldn't be happy carrying around a big one when a lighter one can have the same specs ! I saw this happen with the Alienware m14x and the Dell Inspiron 7000 series 7537 ( a year later )

Help will be appreciated guys ! :(

rajeshtechfreak
11-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Not much to add here but that I carry the laptop with me in a bag and I really don't feel that laptop is super heavy.. Is it heavier than an ultrabook or mac book pro? Sure.. but then again, it has a 17.3" screen, amazing hardware and extendibility. I have 2 hard drives in and I replaced my optical drive with an HDD caddy for 3rd drive storage.

I feel that laptop is still fairly portable even with higher weight.

Wow ! Could you plaese tell me how to do that ?? HDD Caddy ?? Please post some links or a picture !
In this model we have 2*750GB 7200rpm drives.. I would want to get an SSD along with those !

Maxter
11-15-2013, 06:45 PM
I know! Too sexy to pass on this HDD Caddy business! Tell us :D

MrRuckus
11-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I know! Too sexy to pass on this HDD Caddy business! Tell us :D

My coworker did this with his G74Sx. He bought it on ebay and it was really cheap, its like $15 or something like that. I'll have him make a new thread when he comes into the office and show pictures. I think it uses the face place to the optical drive if I remember right, so it looks completely stock.

Back on topic, what made you look at a laptop in the first place? A laptop is going to be a premium over a desktop for the simple reason of portability. Do you require a laptop that you need to take with you at times? If not, then a desktop would of course be cheaper. I wanted to be able to take a machine I owned with me for my work desk and also when I traveled, this is why I personally went with a laptop. It's just gotten to a point where my laptop has surpassed my desktop in performance so normally I just park my laptop at home and hookup everything to it. Desktop is basically a file server about now. heh.

But really it just depends on your needs. These laptops are great because they are really just a high end desktop replacement. Hook this laptop to a Keyboard/Mouse/Larger monitor and you have a desktop basically that you can take with you.

burn0u7
11-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Ok. Here's the post. I did this on my G74SX-DH71. Easy as all get up to do.

How to replace the Blu-Ray module with a Hard Drive (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40020-Installing-a-3rd-hard-drive-into-a-G74SX-DH71&p=336997#post336997)

Duke of Alinor
11-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Is this a joke?
If you cannot carry this laptop in a good back pack you are seriously out of shape.
It is big, but there are some really nice padded backpacks that carry the laptop, power supply and a mouse just fine. Keyboard will stick out the top a bit if you cram that in too. If you try to use a shoulder strap you will be off balance and it will seem heavy. Use the backpack and you should be fine. My niece is a wopping 98 lbs, but she windsurfs and runs. She loves the G750, packs it to and from classes.