PDA

View Full Version : G750JH-DB71 Who has replaced the M.2 drives with larger drives?

hmscott
11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi, I am thinking about picking up a G750JH-DB71 and I noticed that someone said that the drives used for the boot RAID 128GB+128GB SSD are proprietary and not replaceable with standard mSATA SSD's. Is this true? Has anyone replaced the original SSD drives with larger drives?

Update: It turns out that the SSD drives in the JH are special interfaces, not mSATA. The closest name I can find that differentiates them is "M.2 NGFF SATA" or "M.2 SATA".

At one point it looked like A110 or X110 might be the unique name, but that is a more generic name for SanDisk SSD's, and includes 2.5" drives.

Recently I tried to purchase the 256GB version of the M.2 SSD, but no luck. And, with all the confusion about the form factor, the retail components place called and ordered what they thought was the right component and were shipped 2.5" 256GB SanDisk drives, I don't feel comfortable ordering off of Ebay - there are some listings that look correct.

The M.2 is longer and narrower than the mSATA boards, and the M.2 has a distinctively different socket/fingers layout.

Here is the original page + a photo of the M.2 NGFF on the left, and typical mSATA boards on the right:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6575/hands-on-with-plextors-ngff-ssds

Wikipedia entry for M.2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 06:02 PM
I would also like to know this? I guess we could start to see if we all have the same hardware? Looks like my 128's are Sandisk.

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 06:17 PM
A quick look on google for the model number shows this:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/notebooks/2013/asus-zenbook-infinity-im-test/

I dont speak german, so I used a txt translator for the website, and this is stated:

"Specifications & delivery

For our test, we draw on a distinctly upgraded standard equipment. The adjustments consist primarily in the doubled to eight gigabytes of memory and mass storage with two SanDisk SSDs with a capacity of 128 gigabytes in RAID0 composite. Alternatively, there is an even bigger solution with 512 gigabytes in RAID0."

If Asus has a Zenbook which has a 256GBx2 option, I would think we may also be able to upgrade. However it looks like the slots in that Zenbook are regular MSATA slots and dont use the SATA card that we have. So it could be a compatibility of the SATA card that we have that can only use 128GB drives. Hard to tell. I do know that you can take them out of RAID in the Bios when you go back to the legacy setup without secure boot.

I would imagine these can be upgraded. Whether or not Asus would support such a thing I bet they would not. But if these drives are used in other devices, then it doesn't seem they are proprietary to this laptop. The card though they use is unique.

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 06:38 PM
I also saw this:
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/lite_on_dual_module_msata_ssd_achieves_up_to_942mb s.html

While that is an old review of over a year old, I have a feeling these are going to become more common in laptops especially. I know the card we have has a RAID Bios like any other RAID card, you just have to turn off secure boot to get to it. Unless the RAID card itself is limited to 128GB MSATA drives, I would think we could put bigger ones in it. The price currently though is too much of a gamble for me. With each 256GB MSATA in the $150-200 Range. Im not willing to gamble $400 to see if it will work. heh.

Ninjak
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Im not willing to gamble $400 to see if it will work. heh.

Same here. As mentioned in my own thread asking essentially the same thing, the Canadian DB72 version ships with two standard 2.5" drives as opposed to the mSATA configuration. I doubt the US version includes an extra drive bay bracket for doing our own upgrades, so we'd probably have to grab one from the Asus e-store or a reseller. I upgraded all my existing systems at home to 256GB SSD boot drives because i didn't feel 128GB was large enough as it is. I really don't want the 480GB Sandisk SSD drive in my G73JW to go to waste when I upgrade to a G750JH.

Ninjak
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Unless the RAID card itself is limited to 128GB MSATA drives, I would think we could put bigger ones in it.

Btw, the drives in the mSATA card are not standard mSATA drives. They''re a different shape altogether and can't be replaced with standard mSATA drives. You can see them on the card clearly at about 3 min 30 secs into this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2_VyyQQWM

Hence I'm trying to replace the entire card with a 2.5" SSD as opposed to upgrading the mSATAs themselves.

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Nice size on that 480GB! heh.

Yeah the Card can be removed and you can use your SSD. The bottom setup is a lot like the G74 (never had a G73 so cant comment on that).
Looks like a drive cage would also need to be purchased as well. Here's the back of mine.

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I see what you mean, they are definately longer then a standard MSATA drive.

Im curious about this drive:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-SD6SF1M-128G-1022-128gb-X110-Msata/dp/B00CIDIRTI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384371631&sr=8-3&keywords=Sandisk+MSATA+SSD+X110

That drive is very close to the model in the laptop.
Laptop: SD6SP1M-128G-1022
Amazon: SD6SF1M-128G-1022

The drive pictured is not MSATA? Its the same model, which is a "SSD X110" as shown on the Asus MSATA Drives.

The RAID Card itself looks like is proprietary to this laptop and is branded Asus. It says "G750JH_SATA_NGFF_SSD Rev 2.0"

MrRuckus
11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Also would like to note, I haven't touched the drives on this laptop and this is only the second time I have opened the back. QA check should have caught the missing screws. I only have 3 screws on the HDD cage out of 4, and 2 out of 6 screws on the SSD Raid card. Not too pleased with that coming from an almost $2500 laptop. Makes me wonder what other screws could be missing. :/

Never had screws missing on my previous ROG laptops.

Ninjak
11-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I see what you mean, they are definately longer then a standard MSATA drive.

Im curious about this drive:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-SD6SF1M-128G-1022-128gb-X110-Msata/dp/B00CIDIRTI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384371631&sr=8-3&keywords=Sandisk+MSATA+SSD+X110

That drive is very close to the model in the laptop.
Laptop: SD6SP1M-128G-1022
Amazon: SD6SF1M-128G-1022

The drive pictured is not MSATA? Its the same model, which is a "SSD X110" as shown on the Asus MSATA Drives.

The RAID Card itself looks like is proprietary to this laptop and is branded Asus. It says "G750JH_SATA_NGFF_SSD Rev 2.0"

I do recall reading elsewhere that it was a pair of X110 drives, more than likely some sort of modified version.

Ninjak
11-13-2013, 08:07 PM
I found the drive caddy in the Asus eStore for the G750JX, but I have no confirmation that it's the same one for the G750JH, particularly since the JH chassis was redesigned to accommodate the 780M.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3018
"Compatible Models: G73JH, G73JW, G73SW, G75VW, G750JX"

Figures it doesn't even include the screws.

hmscott
11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks Guys, it looks like the form factor is Msata, just stretched. I will try a couple of other Msata drives, maybe Samsung or IBM, and see if they come up. Then I will need to figure out a bracket to screw them down /support them.

The advantage of the Asus Msata RAID card doubling performance in the same slot is awesome, now I just hope I can get 256GB or 512GB Msata's to work on it.

For now I guess I will swap out the RAID card and put in my already configured 512GB. It should boot fine, but I guess I will need to change the Windows 8 License...

Update: The form factor is M.2 NGFF PCIe, and not mSATA of any kind - I updated the first post with more details.

MrRuckus
11-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Please report back and let us know if it works! I have a feeling it will. You'll have to disable secure/fast boot to get into the RAID card Bios.

Ninjak
11-14-2013, 07:33 PM
It appears that the aforementioned hard drive caddy, model 13GNY81AM020-1, does indeed fit the G750JH according to another European Asus parts store I found. Apparently all the G7 laptops use the same one going back to the G73JH. This also means that this part may sell out on a very regular basis since I remember constant complaints about that occurring over the past 3 years.

MrRuckus
11-14-2013, 07:50 PM
It appears that the aforementioned hard drive caddy, model 13GNY81AM020-1, does indeed fit the G750JH according to another European Asus parts store I found. Apparently all the G7 laptops use the same one going back to the G73JH. This also means that this part may sell out on a very regular basis since I remember constant complaints about that occurring over the past 3 years.

Good to know about the caddy. Thanks for the info. I may have to buy one at some point in time if I go regular SSD. The RAID of these 128GB's is impressive though. Close to 1000mb/sec!

Ninjak
11-14-2013, 08:52 PM
The RAID of these 128GB's is impressive though. Close to 1000mb/sec!

Wow. That's definitely fast. How much room was left available of your 128GB after the OS and other stuff? I'm sitting here trying to decide whether or not to get the DB71 or the Canadian DB72 right now since I can get either for the same price. I think the Canadian boot drive is a 256GB Lite-On which would, obviously, be slower, yet roomier.

MrRuckus
11-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Wow. That's definitely fast. How much room was left available of your 128GB after the OS and other stuff? I'm sitting here trying to decide whether or not to get the DB71 or the Canadian DB72 right now since I can get either for the same price. I think the Canadian boot drive is a 256GB Lite-On which would, obviously, be slower, yet roomier.

There's a recovery partition on there as well, but the drives come broken up for some ungodly reason from Asus. I put them back together once I got into it. The 128GB MSATA Drives are in a RAID 0 Configuration so you don't loose any space. Disk is 238.36GB total. OS partition is 217.02 of that, the rest is a 100MB EFI System Partition, 900MB Recovery, 350MB Recovery, 20.01GB Recovery. So out of all of those partitions windows only allows you to use the 1 Primary of 217.02GB. On that I currently have 157GB Free (This is after I disabled Hibernation). The 1TB HGST Drive in the machine is cut into 2 pieces from the factory. I combined those so that's 931GB total.

The drive configuration really makes no sense to me why they come completely butchered. But its easy enough to fix. I guess there are some that use a piece of the SSD to install games on. I just want the OS fast so games go on the 1TB for me.

andrewp
01-02-2014, 03:02 AM
Hello MrRuckus,
I have sent you a private massage concerning the drive bays on the g750jh db71 usa model. Please let me know if you recieved it. Thanks again for your help.
Andrew

ReddRobb
01-12-2014, 12:45 AM
those of you thinking of buying the hard drive caddy need to look at the picture of the drive bay again...it clearly shows drive 1 is connected to the controller and the two msata sockets on the top of the controller. THERE IS NO PLACE TO PLUG IN DRIVE 0, there is only one physical connector so buying a caddy wont help you.

Brandon181
01-12-2014, 02:24 PM
i am also about to purchase a g750jh and im hung up on the US db71 model VS the canadian db72 model......any discussion on this?

al441j
02-02-2014, 04:48 AM
I'm probably late to the game since I just joined but the ngff in "G750JH_SATA_NGFF_SSD" was the original name for what is now called M.2 ssd here is a link to a review of a similar ssd from SanDisk http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/sandisk-x110-m-2-2260-ssd-provides-robust-speed-performance-asus-ux301la-zenbook-storage-visions2014-update/
Looks like this one from crucial may work as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HBKN2GG?cache=50f65b3f406e74df08f84a4526fefd71# ref=mp_s_a_1_2&qid=1391317312&sr=8-2&precache=1 but until I get my g750jh I can't test it :(

RojasTKD
02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
That actually looks like it might fit. I would feel better if I could get 500GB (ish) for my os and apps.

I just got my G750JH yesterday and the mSATA board isn't plugged into the HDD connector, but rather the connector is part of the mSATA board and the second HDD/SSD actually plugs into the mSATA board. I removed the screws and still couldn't get the mSATA board out. There are two plastic pass troughs that go through small holes in the board and expand slightly. It was on too tight and I was afraid to exhort anymore force for fear of breaking the board.

Let us know if you have any success.

AudibleSounds
02-22-2014, 08:06 PM
After having my beautiful G750JH-DB1 for a week, I decided that I needed to replace the Msata drive. Me being me, I looked up disassembly and took the beast apart. During the process I took some pictures of what I found. The Msata drive can be replaced, but I believe by an SSD only. I am under the impression it is a power issue. The Msata drive is also screwed down from the underside, so no amount of prying or lifting will get it to come out, unless you take your laptop apart. The HDD can also be replaced. The issue is finding the required parts. 2 ribbons to attach to the mother board, two adapters to fit the drives that will also connect to the ribbon, unless you can find a component that comes with both. The ribbon does not need to be very long, 6 inches will be more than enough. Then all you need is the HDD/SSD cradle so it can be held in place. If anyone wants to see the photos, let me know and I'll post. It really isn't as difficult as it seems. I will keep everyone updated as I finish the install once I get the required parts. I also believe before replacing the Msata drive, that we need to go into Bios and change it from raid 0 since most will only be putting in a single drive.

hmscott
02-23-2014, 03:16 AM
I'm probably late to the game since I just joined but the ngff in "G750JH_SATA_NGFF_SSD" was the original name for what is now called M.2 ssd here is a link to a review of a similar ssd from SanDisk http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/sandisk-x110-m-2-2260-ssd-provides-robust-speed-performance-asus-ux301la-zenbook-storage-visions2014-update/
Looks like this one from crucial may work as well http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HBKN2GG?cache=50f65b3f406e74df08f84a4526fefd71# ref=mp_s_a_1_2&qid=1391317312&sr=8-2&precache=1 but until I get my g750jh I can't test it :(

Thanks for the links al441j :)

I have spent some time recently with a local components chain, trying to get the SanDisk 256GB M.2 NGFF cards, with no luck. Glad to see another company besides SanDisk is making M.2 NGFF components, especially happy now that I found the 480GB model:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-M500-480GB-6Gbps-Internal/dp/B00HBKM6UO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393125202&sr=1-2&keywords=M2+Internal+SSD

I am hoping that more companies will make M.2 NGFF components. It would have been nice to be able to get the new Samsung Evo mSATA in the M.2 NGFF form factor.

Does anyone know what Asus is going to be using moving forward, on the JH replacement, likely the JZ? Has Asus stayed with M.2 NGFF or moved to mSATA or something else? I would be disappointed to get fitted out with the M.2 NGFF components, and then have Asus move to another incompatible form factor that I couldn't migrate my new large M.2 drives to the new laptop.

AudibleSounds
02-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Here are some shots. First one shows the Msata removed. The next shows the four screws that need removed in order to remove the drive. The 3d shows the ribbon holders. Flip bracket up to remove the ribbons. The fourth shows the tape removed and the ribbons flipped back from their appropriate spot.

fsuwade
02-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Hey thanks for the pics.

I guess the only thing we can do is try to replace the current ssd on the card and hope to see it work. I am going to get two of the ssd from one of the links that was posted and test it out. I may just get the 480gb verson i have seen in one of the links. I will report back as soon as i return the Wd black2 drive i have and get two of them.

I was hoping to see someone keep the current raid and us WD black2 drive.

It would have gave me another ssd in the computer with all the storage i could ever want. But there was not a person on here that has tried the same thing with out losing the raid from the current drive. I found that the black2 drive does not play well with raid. SO with out losing my raid and recover and speed of the ssd's that were in it to start. I will try to raid the two m2 ssd sticks and see where we go from there.

The only other issue i think i will find is trying to rebuild the current ssd raid on to the new drives and not losing anything other then gain a lot more storage.

hmscott
02-23-2014, 11:42 PM
...The only other issue i think i will find is trying to rebuild the current ssd raid on to the new drives and not losing anything other then gain a lot more storage.

If you build an Asus Backtracker USB recovery drive, and then back up all your non-system files to an external disk - you can boot on the Backtracker USB to format your new 2 x 480GB M.2 RAID0 and get a fresh Asus OEM WIndows 8.0 install.

Be sure and remove your 1TB drive as the darned Backtracker takes the "image back to OEM" to heart and will blow away the 1TB with a clean reformat and partitioning - I tested it and you can pull the 1TB and the Backtracker software won't complain it is missing. Fortunately I had already pulled the 1TB and put it in an external USB 3.0 enclosure - and I had the USB3.0 enclosure disconnected while running Backtracker restore.

Asus Backtracker - fully uses a 16GB drive - uses up to 20GB of a 32GB drive. Note there are separate steps to do after the build of the drive to copy over the C:\eSupport / drivers - it helps to have a larger USB 3.0 thumb drive so you can also store other support tools for a recovery later - probably not needed for just a simple recovery to build on your new M.2 SSD's
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

I am hoping that the Crucial 480GB M.2 opens up the read/write speed performance, let us know.

Here is the performance I am seeing with the SanDisk 128GB M.2's - 2 x 128GB RAID0:

The next thing to try is to put a 2.5" Crucial 480GB in the 2nd bay position, and do a 3 x 480GB RAID0 :)

hmscott
02-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Here are some shots. First one shows the Msata removed. The next shows the four screws that need removed in order to remove the drive. The 3d shows the ribbon holders. Flip bracket up to remove the ribbons. The fourth shows the tape removed and the ribbons flipped back from their appropriate spot.

Now that we have identified the M.2 NGFF form factor for the SSD's, and we can get larger 256GB/480GB M.2 NGFF SSD's than the stock 2 x 128GB, doesn't the performance improvement from being able to have a hardware RAID0 for 2 large M.2 NGFF SSD's + 1 2.5" drive outweigh the benefits of backing down to a 2 x 2.5" straight SATA3 configuration?

hmscott
02-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Please check out the #1 post:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39905-G750JH-DB71-Who-has-replaced-the-MSATA-drives-with-larger-drives&p=336034&viewfull=1#post336034

I have updated it - corrected mSATA vs M.2 NGFF PCIe and added some other useful updated info.

Anyone know how to correct the Forum thread title? I edited it, but it only shows up in the header of the #1 post, not visible in the forum thread list - I really should change the mSATA in the title to M.2 NGFF PCIe...

AudibleSounds
02-24-2014, 01:08 AM
I have looked at the Crucial 480GB M.2 and compared the measurements with what comes stock in the laptop. The width is darn close but the length for the crucial is longer. I don't believe that would be an issue, but would require some tape or other method to hold the memory down to the board so it does not come lose and fall out.
At least with all the research everyone is doing, we should have several solutions figured out in no time. My hhd adapter arrives later this week, at which time I will install two independent drives. Once it is working, then onto and SSD.

hmscott
02-24-2014, 01:19 AM
I have looked at the Crucial 480GB M.2 and compared the measurements with what comes stock in the laptop. The width is darn close but the length for the crucial is longer. I don't believe that would be an issue, but would require some tape or other method to hold the memory down to the board so it does not come lose and fall out.
At least with all the research everyone is doing, we should have several solutions figured out in no time. My hhd adapter arrives later this week, at which time I will install two independent drives. Once it is working, then onto and SSD.

Agreed, it would be optimal to have the flexibility of multiple choices - 2 1TB Samsung Evo SSD 2.5" drives would be good enough for me, for now :)

If you look at the 128GB SSD, the retaining screw "hole" is really a notch at the end of the card, a kind of 1/3 hole, so if the Crucial is longer, perhaps the notch is bigger, or has graduated to an actual hole.

fsuwade
02-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Anyone know if the raid controler is on the ssd it self or not. Every link that i have looked at showed the marvel raid chip on the ssd. I would think that its based off the intel chip set on the mb. But i just want to have other think on this as well before a lot of people spend money only to find they can not use raid.

hmscott
02-24-2014, 03:30 AM
Anyone know if the raid controler is on the ssd it self or not. Every link that i have looked at showed the marvel raid chip on the ssd. I would think that its based off the intel chip set on the mb. But i just want to have other think on this as well before a lot of people spend money only to find they can not use raid.

That is a good question; restated a bit.

If we remove the G750JH SSD/SATA3 structure presented into the drive bays, and connect directly to the motherboard with SATA3 cables, does the RAID device still appear in Windows?

I think what you mean is the RAID controller visible to Windows might be on the expansion card, not the SSD itself.

A storage device might have an internal RAID to support multiple busses within itself - many SSD's / USB 3.0 flash drives do this to improve performance, but an external RAID - one that shows up to Windows - is going to be located on the motherboard / or the RAID card that connects to the devices.

AudibleSounds, you have removed the structure from the drive bays, do you still see the RAID controller in the BIOS, or in Windows?

fsuwade
02-24-2014, 05:07 AM
That is a good question; restated a bit.

If we remove the G750JH SSD/SATA3 structure presented into the drive bays, and connect directly to the motherboard with SATA3 cables, does the RAID device still appear in Windows?

I think what you mean is the RAID controller visible to Windows might be on the expansion card, not the SSD itself.

A storage device might have an internal RAID to support multiple busses within itself - many SSD's / USB 3.0 flash drives do this to improve performance, but an external RAID - one that shows up to Windows - is going to be located on the motherboard / or the RAID card that connects to the devices.

AudibleSounds, you have removed the structure from the drive bays, do you still see the RAID controller in the BIOS, or in Windows?

From looking at the Pics he took on the Mb it shows a ribbon cable to both the ssd and the hdd. So with that pic i would say that the raid is
controlled by the m.2 board. But i would still wonder if that may cause issues trying to put any other standard drive in there. But this would still mean that maybe a bigger m.2 ssd would still fit and work just like the 128's that are in there.

fsuwade
02-27-2014, 06:02 AM
I may have found a way to get any drive in to the bay but it will take a little money and hope that the space to fit it all will work. An extender board Link (http://www.mfactors.com/p16s-p16f-m-2-ngff-sata-ssd-extender-board-socket-2-sata-based-key-b-maximum-dimension-type-22110/)

May have to use this to make it work because m.2 ssd we have is only 60mm long and i am not finding any that will work in it.

AudibleSounds
02-28-2014, 12:56 AM
I finally got the part that I ordered in today. I just finished installing the dual HDD adapter that came out of a G750JW.

This is a picture of the underside of the adapter where the ribbon will connect. Notice the part number and it states from what model it is from. I am going to call Asus tomorrow and find out how to order it or if it can be ordered.

Here is the top view of the adapter.

As you can see, two 1 tb drives. Both are hybrid drives by Seagate, which I love. When I set it up, Raid was still available in the BIOS, along with IDE and ACHI. I switched it ACHI just to be safe. All is running well and I am installing drivers now.

**Edit**
An interesting note is that the adapter only connects to the HDD on the mother board and is capable of running two hard drives. This leaves the SSD connection still open. I did remove the ribbon from the computer to avoid any damage to it. What is awesome is if there was room for the two HDD and the SSD, you could in theory have all of them working. I would love for that to be the case.

fsuwade
02-28-2014, 01:17 AM
Well i guess this is one idea to fix the issue. Looks good. Well now this makes me wonder if there is a ssd adapter that can hold two M.2 ssds that can still be raid on one ssd and still keep the space for another ssd or another drive.

I finally got the part that I ordered in today. I just finished installing the dual HDD adapter that came out of a G750JW.

This is a picture of the underside of the adapter where the ribbon will connect. Notice the part number and it states from what model it is from. I am going to call Asus tomorrow and find out how to order it or if it can be ordered.

As you can see, two 1 tb drives. Both are hybrid drives by Seagate, which I love. When I set it up, Raid was still available in the BIOS, along with IDE and ACHI. I switched it ACHI just to be safe. All is running well and I am installing drivers now.

**Edit**
An interesting note is that the adapter only connects to the HDD on the mother board and is capable of running two hard drives. This leaves the SSD connection still open. I did remove the ribbon from the computer to avoid any damage to it. What is awesome is if there was room for the two HDD and the SSD, you could in theory have all of them working. I would love for that to be the case.

fsuwade
03-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Any word on anything yet from asus. And does anyone else have any ideas how we can get a bigger ssd on that board

bonoman66
03-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new G750JX (T4246H) customer. I had thought about purchasing the G750JH model (T4106H) with the RAID 0 256GB (128GB X 2 NGFF M.2 SSDs)+ 1TB HDD, but decided against it in the end due to the ambiguity about how straightforward it might be to upgrade the actual 128GB M.2 SSDs or even replace the Asus M.2 Card with a regular 2.5" SSD.

I had considered importing the G750JH without the RAID 0 configuration from Canada (DB72-CA)& would have done so were it not again for the ambiguity over the 'International Warranty' that is sold with it. On deeper digging it could have proven problematic for me (living in Ireland) if I'd needed to seek Warranty Support. Even talking with the Asus support team on the phone they could not clarify the situation in a general sense with a straight Yes / No answer.

In the end I just went for the G750JX as it should still meet my needs (ProTools 11 & Sony Vegas 12 Pro / Adobe Premire Pro User. It came with 8GB RAM (2 X 4GB not easily accessible) so I just bought another 16GB (2 X 8GB) to upgrade the system RAM to 24GB & when my warranty runs out, I'll open the beast up & replace the other 2 x 4GB DIMMs with 2 X 8GB DIMMs. I also bought a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO as my main OS/Apps drive (I'll only have approx 300GB free when I finish installing all my apps / libraries :O) & I got a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro for my video editing as it appears it'll be slightly more suited / robust for that type of disk IO / activity than the regular 840 Evo SSD range.

Anyway, here's some questions about the G750JH I asked Asus Technical Support Teams (Via email at the end of Feb) & then the replies I got today...

My email to Asus...

I'm considering purchasing the Asus G750JH (T4106H) from the United Kingdom.

It comes with 1 X standard hard disk drive which I plan to replace with a standard
1TB Sata 2.5" Hard Drive.

It also comes with 2 X 128 GB M.2 2260 SSDs mounted on an Asus Card which
occupies the second hard drive bay in the laptop. (Configured as a RAID 0 256GB
drive).

256GB is not sufficient space for me so I plan to either replace the 2 X 128GB RAID 0
drives with a single 1TB 2.5" SSD or if possible just remove the existing 2 X 128GB
M.2 SSDs & replace with higher capacity M.2 SSDs on the Asus Card.

Are these upgrades possible for me to conduct (I have a technical background so I
do not mind doing this but wanted to check with the Asus Technical Teams before I
purchase the Asus G750JH).

Do I need any special or additional adaptors or drive brackets or screws if I plan to
remove the Asus Card containing the 2 X 128GB M.2 SSDs & replace with a standard
1TB 2.5" SSD (eg a Samsung EVO 1TB) ? If I need anything can you please let me
know the detals of the additional part numbers / items I should order ?

Alternatively, if I want to just remove the existing 2 X 128GB M.2 2260 SSDs & replace
with higher capacity M.2 SSDs , are there any compatibility issues I need to be aware
of before I purchase higher capacity M.2 SSDs ?

I was looking at the Crucial CT480M500SSD4. I know this is M.2 but its 2280 rather
than 2260 so I need to know if this will fit on the Asus Card please or whether I am
restricted to only potentially using M.2 2260 size SSDs ?

Please advise on both scenarios if you can as I am happy to do the upgrade work
myself, but I cannot afford to purchase the Asus G750JH & then discover that I cannot
either swap the existing M.2 128GB SSDs for higher capacity ones or just remove the
Asus Card with the M.2 SSDs & replace with a regular 2.5" SSD.

Asus Techical Team Reply...

Thank you for your patience, I have finally got back the answers from our headquarters. My apologies for the delay. Please see the copy and paste text below, which I have copy and pasted on purpose to prevend typos and make it as clear as possible for you. Please have a look;

Q1: Can the standard HDD be replaced with a 1TB Sata 2,5’’ HDD?

A1: G750 keypart list has 1TB 2.5” HDD, but don’t guarantee system quality when customer change standard HDD to other brand HDD ASUS didn’t verified.

Q2: Can the 2 X 128 GB M.2 2260 SSDs can be replaced with one single 1 TB 2,5’’ SSD?

A2: No, G750 didn’t verify any 1TB 2.5” SSD before, so don’t know whether G750 can support 1TB 2.5” SSD or not.

Q3: Does the customer need any additional screws or brackets if he want to change his setup?

A4: When changed 2x128GB M.2 2260 SSDs to standard HDD, the origin brackets is suitable for NGFF SSD daughter board only not for HDD, so customer need to fix HDD other way himself.

Q4: Customer was looking at the Crucial CT480M500SSD4. This is M.2 but its 2280 rather than 2260 so he wants to know if this will fit on the Asus Card or whether he is restricted to only using M.2 2260 size SSDs ?

A4: G750JXA/JHA SSD card connector can support M.2 2280 NGFF SSD too, but the SSD card nut position only can fit 2260. If customer want to use 2280 SSD. He need to fix M.2 2280 SSDs by himself as well.

Hope this Asus feedback might be useful to anyone interested..

Rgds,

Trev

Blaise
03-07-2014, 04:14 AM
... I looked up disassembly and took the beast apart ...

Hi - I just took delivery of a new G750JH-DB71 from powernotebooks.com. Had it upgraded with 1 TB 7200 rpm secondary drive and blu-ray writer.

Where did you "lookup disassembly"? I haven't been able to find a guide or anything to opening the unit up. I have the 2x128 SSD, but it is "M.2" (NGFF). And yeah, i looks like it doesn't want to come off, so thanks for the tip about it being mounted from the underside.

Taking off the back panel to expose the drives and ram is easy enough, but how best to open it all the way to get underneath the SSD is not obvious. Yeah, I can remove all the screws under the little rubber plugs, but I don't want to break the damn thing - not just yet, anyways ;)

Thanks

AudibleSounds
03-07-2014, 04:27 AM
I actually found somewhat of the disassembly on youtube. It shows how to replace the internal ram and wireless card (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsv8Vtml-E0) This model is the easiest laptop I have ever disassembled. If you need help or a walk through, let me know and I can take you through it.

Hi - I just took delivery of a new G750JH-DB71 from powernotebooks.com. Had it upgraded with 1 TB 7200 rpm secondary drive and blu-ray writer.

Where did you "lookup disassembly"? I haven't been able to find a guide or anything to opening the unit up. I have the 2x128 SSD, but it is "M.2" (NGFF). And yeah, i looks like it doesn't want to come off, so thanks for the tip about it being mounted from the underside.

Taking off the back panel to expose the drives and ram is easy enough, but how best to open it all the way to get underneath the SSD is not obvious. Yeah, I can remove all the screws under the little rubber plugs, but I don't want to break the damn thing - not just yet, anyways ;)

Thanks

bonoman66
03-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Here's more info on G750 Dissassembly (Appreciate its the G750JX & not your G750JH but it could be useful if you have not yet seen this).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html

cosmicmango
03-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Just upgraded the 2 SanDisk 128GB with 2 SanDisk SD6SN1M-256G-1006, the sticks were about a half an inch longer so I had to use some double sided tape to fasten them to the board.

The Read and Write seems to be a little bit faster.

Thinking of removing the Optical Drive and replacing with a HDD caddy, move the Samsung 840 EVO to the caddy and use a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro in the second bay and then RAID all 3 256GB. That might be next week's project.

gazzacbr
03-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Hi, ive got an optical caddy on order arriving soon.
i am also thinking of putting the original 256 SSD in there (i have 2x500SSD inside already)
anyone know if the throughput will be lower for that drive or have any info on the speeds?
if will it restrict the ssd i will just use a hdd instead and the 235 ssd elsewhere.

hmscott
03-09-2014, 05:49 AM
Just upgraded the 2 SanDisk 128GB with 2 SanDisk SD6SN1M-256G-1006, the sticks were about a half an inch longer so I had to use some double sided tape to fasten them to the board.

Thinking of removing the Optical Drive and replacing with a HDD caddy, move the Samsung 840 EVO to the caddy and use a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro in the second bay and then RAID all 3 256GB. That might be next week's project.

That is some awesome performance, almost double the write performance :)

The 3rd 256GB should kick it over 1GB/sec easy :)

How much were they, and where did you find them?

Does the carrier board have clear spots to drill holes to attache the ends? Clear of circuitry/conductive paths?

cosmicmango
03-09-2014, 11:18 AM
That is some awesome performance, almost double the write performance :)

The 3rd 256GB should kick it over 1GB/sec easy :)

How much were they, and where did you find them?

Does the carrier board have clear spots to drill holes to attache the ends? Clear of circuitry/conductive paths?

I got them off eBay from the link below, didn't check the board for clearance figured the tape would be easier in case I ever have any warranty work. Also, I had them shipped with DHL so it would be easier to track.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-256GB-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-SATA3-PCI-E-SD6SN1M-256G-1006-725341-001/191081940519?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20466%26meid%3D5361126743203567221%26pid%3D 100011%26prg%3D9138%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D191 068863088

hmscott
03-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I got them off eBay from the link below, didn't check the board for clearance figured the tape would be easier in case I ever have any warranty work. Also, I had them shipped with DHL so it would be easier to track.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-256GB-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-SATA3-PCI-E-SD6SN1M-256G-1006-725341-001/191081940519?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20466%26meid%3D5361126743203567221%26pid%3D 100011%26prg%3D9138%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D191 068863088

Cool, thanks cosmicmango, good choice on the no drilling then :)

Let us know which 256GB 2.5" SSD you match up with the M.2 NGIF SSD's and what speeds you get!

fsuwade
03-10-2014, 05:59 AM
With what you have done with the 256 sandisk ssd you could as well have done it from the link in i think page 3 with the 256 or 480gb ssd as well. Just saying. You would have saved like 100 over all with the other ones. But It would be on amazon and free 2 day wtih prime.

Cosmicmango why did you go with the Sandisk ones over the others that have been posted here.

cosmicmango
03-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Cosmicmango why did you go with the Sandisk ones over the others that have been posted here.

Just personal preference, I’ve had bad luck with Crucial SSD.

Blaise
03-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Sweet!, thanks for posting it!

rizwan.wangde
03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
So how did you replace the default 128GB*2 SSDs to the SANDISK 256GB X110 M.2 SD6SN1M-256G-1006? And how did you configure them as RAID 0?

Thanks in advance.

hmscott
04-25-2014, 08:30 AM
New ROG article on M.2 drives:

Buying An M.2 SSD? How To Tell Which Is Which
http://rog.asus.com/313352014/labels/guides/buying-an-m-2-ssd-how-to-tell-which-is-which/

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
mine are sandisk as well 36079

hmscott
04-25-2014, 09:05 AM

HomieOC, I thought the top JZ configuration had a RAID0 made from 2 x 256GB M.2 drives? For a total of 512GB.

My JH has 2 x 128GB... for a total of 256GB

The other JZ configuration I have seen has 1 M.2 256GB SSD.

Your JZ came with 2 x 128GB RAID0?

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
HomieOC, I thought the top JZ configuration had a RAID0 made from 2 x 256GB M.2 drives? For a total of 512GB.

My JH has 2 x 128GB... for a total of 256GB

The other JZ configuration I have seen has 1 M.2 256GB SSD.

Your JZ came with 2 x 128GB RAID0?

my JZ Is the $2,300 one on newegg... the $3,000 JZ comes with 512 gb SSD.. i didn't see the poin in that extra cost for more hardrive and blue ray burner... Also i could always upgrade to 512 gb in future too when SSD is cheaper :).. here checkout what i bought exactly, and where
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231633

i guess its time to open up my JZ to see lol
this is what it says on newegg

1TB 7200RPM + 256G SSD (2x128G RAID)

Everyone says that they dont understand why SSD isn't main hardrvei? WEll guess what? Its in second slot but windows operating system IS in fact installed on the SSD. Came with windows on SSD

hmscott
04-25-2014, 09:24 AM
my JZ Is the $2,300 one on newegg... the $3,000 JZ comes with 512 gb SSD.. i didn't see the poin in that extra cost for more hardrive and blue ray burner... Also i could always upgrade to 512 gb in future too when SSD is cheaper :).. here checkout what i bought exactly, and where
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231633

i guess its time to open up my JZ to see lol
this is what it says on newegg

1TB 7200RPM + 256G SSD (2x128G RAID)

Everyone says that they dont understand why SSD isn't main hardrvei? WEll guess what? Its in second slot but windows operating system IS in fact installed on the SSD. Came with windows on SSD

Awesome! The RAID0 makes all the difference in performance.

Here is another thread about a JZ configuration with photo's of a single M.2 SSD on a 2.5" adapter:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46498-G750-JZ-880m-hard-drive-question&country=&status=

Either Staring RAID0 would be awesome - then upgrade to Samsung 2 x 1TB Evo M.2 drives + 1 2.5" Samsung Evo 1TB for a 3x RAID0!

HomieOC
04-25-2014, 09:28 AM
haha u crazy !@ :))

saturn95
07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
HMSCOTT any new info on this topic.??

hmscott
07-10-2014, 01:56 PM
HMSCOTT any new info on this topic.??

saturn95, nothing newer than the M550 M.2 SATA drives.

The Samsung 941's are PCIE x4 so are incompatible with the G750JH/JZ

The new Samsung Pro 850 hasn't released an M.2 SATA version, yet?

Have you seen any new M.2 SATA drives?

saturn95
07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Thank you for responding and No I have not seen anything usefull.
I would really like to use a ssd in my G750jh. Hopefully time will tell.
Thanks

VHJC
10-05-2014, 08:04 AM
@AudibleSounds: Can you take a pic of the ribbon that connects on the SSD holder, please? I want to put a RAID card on my JZ, I've already found it but I will also need the ribbon that connects the SSD part to the motherboard and I don't know which one should I buy.
Also, did the HDD ribbon cable that you already had was enough to connect the 2 SATA ports board?

@HomieOC: Can you take a pic of your SSD RAID board please? I need to know if the JH RAID board fits on the JZ model. Thanks!

This is my laptop:

hmscott
10-06-2014, 07:07 PM
@AudibleSounds: Can you take a pic of the ribbon that connects on the SSD holder, please? I want to put a RAID card on my JZ, I've already found it but I will also need the ribbon that connects the SSD part to the motherboard and I don't know which one should I buy.
Also, did the HDD ribbon cable that you already had was enough to connect the 2 SATA ports board?
@HomieOC: Can you take a pic of your SSD RAID board please? I need to know if the JH RAID board fits on the JZ model. Thanks!

VHJC, I haven't seen these guys on line for a long time, and checking their Profiles, they haven't logged in for quite a while. Unless they had email notices enabled for the thread activity, you probably won't get their attention via the forum threads. You could try a PM to each of them, they might have email notifications set for PM's :)

saturn95
10-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Does this help solving the mystery of finding a SSD card for the Asus 750jh ??

http://www.impactcomputers.com/03b03-00032800.html

03B03-00032800 - SSD 128G X110 M.2 2260/ X231202) For Asus Computers

hmscott
10-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Does this help solving the mystery of finding a SSD card for the Asus 750jh ??
http://www.impactcomputers.com/03b03-00032800.html
03B03-00032800 - SSD 128G X110 M.2 2260/ X231202) For Asus Computers

saturn95, that is the same 128GB part that comes with the G750JH/JZ :)

The JZ also has a model with a 2 x 256GB RAID0
http://www.impactcomputers.com/03b03-00043100.html

We are looking for upgrades, larger and faster implementations of the M.2 NGFF SATA form factor.

The best so far are the Crucial M550 512GB
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-512GB-Internal-Solid-CT512M550SSD4/dp/B00ITFZTHC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412950335&sr=8-3&keywords=m.2+sata

And Transcend 512GB
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MTS800-Solid-State-TS512GMTS800/dp/B00KLTPVV8/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I think we were all hoping for Samsung to come out with an 840/850 series M.2 SATA, but so far they only have models in the new PCIE M.2 interface, which is also good news, just not compatible with the JH/JZ.

Samsung has come out with the XP941 PCIE M.2 as well, almost a year ago:
http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-xp941-m-2-pcie-ssds-raid-0-worlds-smallest-ssd-combination-hits-2gbs/?PageSpeed=noscript

But, the PCIE M.2 interface doesn't work with our M.2 SATA interfaces.

Samsung XP941 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD Mini Review
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47529-Samsung-XP941-256GB-M-2-PCIe-SSD-Mini-Review&highlight=XP941+PCIE+M.2

Thanks for keeping the search alive saturn85 :)

saturn95
10-10-2014, 02:27 PM
http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=product_compara&cid=3&psc=

look at this one ADATA site

Thanks for your time.

I should read before posting...

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list.html

That was interesting

hmscott
10-10-2014, 07:56 PM
http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=product_compara&cid=3&psc=

look at this one ADATA site

Thanks for your time.

I should read before posting...

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list.html

That was interesting

saturn95, there are many weeks of good reading here on this forum, many postings with details of interest to your understanding of your laptop, I hope you continue to avail yourself of this resource :)

Thanks for the links!

I found this press release on that Adata site:

ADATA Launches SP910 2.5” and SP900 M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD
http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=aa_main&page=NewsList&type=2&news_id=457

Wikipedia also has a nice article on the various formats:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

Anandtech article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6293/ngff-ssds-putting-an-end-to-proprietary-ultrabook-ssd-form-factors

A newer Anandtech Artile on PCIE M.2, not compatible with JH/JZ
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here

The M.2 PCIE format is the new generation, the Rampage V and I think the G751 will have it eventually.

eddieboy912
11-23-2014, 01:23 PM

**Edit**

Good day audibleSounds. How did u get the 2 HDD board to fit?? I picked up the same part but it didnt sit as well as the m.2 ngff board fitted. I did however replace the optical drive with a HDD caddy for another HDD. So it is possible to have a total of 3 HDD. I just cant figure out how to fit the board like the pic you posted.

Thanks.

Edit: 11/28/2014:
There were 2 little plastic supports that didnt really do anything. They easily came off. I ordered another HDD caddy and everything fits perfectly now.

alexporta
01-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Good day audibleSounds. How did u get the 2 HDD board to fit?? I picked up the same part but it didnt sit as well as the m.2 ngff board fitted. I did however replace the optical drive with a HDD caddy for another HDD. So it is possible to have a total of 3 HDD. I just cant figure out how to fit the board like the pic you posted.

Thanks.

Edit: 11/28/2014:
There were 2 little plastic supports that didnt really do anything. They easily came off. I ordered another HDD caddy and everything fits perfectly now.

Hi to all, first I want to apologize for my awfull english, I'm from Italy.
I bought a G750 G750JZ-T4129H and I try to change the HDD controller but I can't remove it... I need to remove the keyboard and remove from there? Because if I remove the two screws that fix my HDD+M.2 SSD controller I cant' take it off... Can anyone help me please?

Then when I removed it I have to do something for fitting the new HDD controller? It seems to have different dimensions it has two metal pins on both side
]45383

adar1827
02-09-2015, 04:19 PM
First time poster so be kind....! Shelled out $2500 for UX301LA Dec 2013, freezing then tanked at 13 mos (on a 12 mo warranty of course). Same 128 SanDisk M2 Sata x 2, RAID 0. Concluded one of 2 disks bad. Wasn't connectors, good disk worked in either slot. Changed BIOS to ACHI, clean installed 8.1 on good disk and had working computer with 128G for $2500. Not happy.
Wikipedia article very helpful re earlier posts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2. M2 successor to MSATA, different size/shape vs. SanDisk OEM's have "B&M" key connectors. Per article, the installed M2's were 22mm x 60mm, but most M2's for sale are 80mm (tape above). SanDisk makes it hard to find "OEM" disks, don't sell directly, contact mfg. ASUS sent predictable blow off email, suggesting I contact SanDisk or send to repair out of warranty.
Found M2 SSDs on AMZN, but many shapes and sizes. Went to Transcend website, M2 SSD category. "MTS600" series is specifically 22mm by 60mm, up to 512Gb. Replaced bad SanDisk with 512, works great. Did not reinstall RAID (edge of my knowledge base ?advantage) but no evident performance change and triple the storage with 512 Transcend as ACHI dynamic volume.
Hope this is helpful.

maldak6125
02-18-2016, 01:19 PM
After reading everything I could regarding the G750JH that I have, I thought I had enough
information to make the plunge into changing the two 128gb raid 0 drives. The following is what I did -
I hope it helps.

I called Crucial as they have an m.2 500gb 2260 drive - the G750 computers do take 2260. If you get 2280
it will be 20mm longer - and I didn't want to get involved in making a bracket for them. Crucial tried to see
if the current SanDisk drives were SATA or PciE and couldn't find out. There was a post I read somewhere that somone
posted the G750 was Sata - and the 751 was PciE and Sata. They did tell me they ofer a 45 day return and said I can
try it all out - so I did. Keep in mind that if you decide to get other drives they cannot be PceI - they absolutely need to be SATA.

I ordered two of the following - CT500MX200SSD6.PK02 Crucial MX200 500GB SATA M.2 Type 2260DS SSD.

I did a backup/system image of the drives as a single drive - just like doing it as usual. I sent this to a USB hard drive.
I also made a reboot CD right through windows - it is an option in the backup window.

I then replaced the 2 drives with the 2 Crucial drives - then I rebooted and pressed F2 to get to the Bios. I changed the
Raid to AHCI - I also did change the boot sequence to CD/DVD - this was very important.

I put the disk in the drive and rebooted. I let Windows come up - and I reinstalled the image file to the new drives.
It all worked well.

I went to disc management and allocated the second drive as a D drive. The one issue I had was that the new C drive was cut up
into a system partition which I needed - this was the block on the far left. Next was the C drive OS itself - this only had about
227gb allocated to it - I think it just matched what it saw from the two raid 0 drives. Next to that was a Restore 450mb partition -
then next to that was another 230gb or so unallocated partition.

I could not expand the C drive to include the unallocated partition as it was not the direct block to the right. I looked at the 450mb partition and there was nothing in it - and after checkcing around I found it was OK to delete it with the Diskpart command in a
C prompt. Here's a link from what I found on youtube:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+erase+restore+450mb+partition&view=detail&mid=B774A298C3142191E3D9B774A298C3142191E3D9&FORM=VIRE6

So - I erased it - it disappeared - and I was able to expand the C drive to include the unallocated partition - and now
my new C drive has plenty of space.

I did not set these drives up as raid 0 - just as regular drives.

Everything works well. Keep in mind the drives are $179 each right now. I didn't think that was too bad to get this extra space.

evoluzione
09-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Hi
I am writing to anybody who can help with a similar issue
After purchasing in 2014 an Asus G750JH under warranty and after 3 months of real usage i found myself locked in bios
Immediatly i send the notebook to asus support and after numerous visits there they told me that they had to change the motherboard and the one of the two proprietary ssds
Today i find myself in the same situation and i want to replace totally these ssd setup even with my own ssd or even with an hdd since i am fed up with asus support i will not send them the machine for service
Has anybody succesfully installed their own ssd to the place of the proprietary ssds?
Do i have to purchase this adapter?
Is there an other way to do it?
Does anybody know how i can find out my original purchase motherboard number in order to see if they really changed the motherboard (there is a big chance they never did)
I can only say definetly due to malpractice done i do not trust asus support in anything
When i asked the first time to change both proprietary ssds they were laughing telling me that there is no need to do it with the result of loosing many files needed for my work
I am not writing to deal with some representative of asus i despise them in many ways since the machine was brand new and had very few working hours and a 2000 euro machine should at least do its job
The asus support in Greece is a joke but i am writing to find a solution since they cannot
Solutions i have in mind replace again one of the proprietary ssds and hope for the best
Replace all this adapter with my ssd of my choice
Replace the total of ssd technology with a second hdd or even leave just the one hdd that is already there (yes you can say i do not trust ssd technology anymore and this setup by asus )
Final question anybody that has done some kind of modification:for how long are you running it? Are you satisfied? What did it actually cost you?
Thanks!

Blaise
12-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I think this may be a decent replacement. I'm looking to double the size because I only have about 55 GB free on my 256 GB boot SSD - everything wants to install on your C drive! And even if you install elsewhere, many put a lot of stuff on C anyway! And your profile (app data) HAS to be on C too - thanks MS!

Anyway, have a look ...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLTPT6A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can anyone offer an opinion on whether 2 of these will replace the 2 -128 GB SSDs?

I'll also try to avoid reinstalling Windows (and all my apps - what a pain!). I have carved up my 1 TB hard drive into 4 drives: D, E, R and T. T is a second instance of Win 8.1 I use for testing apps I develop. I was thinking that after booting into the T drive, with a USB SSD reader/writer like this, I may be able to copy my C drive to the new SSDs using the writer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ4LNJC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANNSJU9W28Y9J

Anyone think that'll work?? Will the MBR and other partitions on the C drive get copied? I'm thinking perhaps not, but that's not my wheelhouse ...

Worst case, if it doesn't work, I can always just do the whole reinstall thing ... :-(

kb0sdq
12-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Howdy Guys,
Been reading up on this thread and*enjoying all the team work here. I also have the g750JHA and was wanting to upgrade the two 128's and possibly the 1tb mech drive to ssd. Just need to save my pennies a bit longer. Again thanks for all the work done.
Have a merry Christmas and Happy ROG_n
Doug

Blaise
12-15-2016, 04:33 PM
OK, to review, my G750JH-DB71 came with a 256 GB SSD C Drive and a 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive. The SSD was 2x128 GB M.2 SATA modules set up in RAID 0. These were 2 SanDisk SD6SP1M-128G-1002 modules. They look like this:

The SSD is my system drive, which contains my Win 8.1 Pro installation, and it was getting tight on free space (only about 15% free), so I needed to increase the size of that drive.

I used EaseUS Partition Master (free version) to examine the partitions on the original SSD:

NOTE that my 1 TB drive is DISK 0 and the C Drive is DISK 1 (listed as DISK 1 and DISK 2 in EaseUS). This seems unusual, but there it is ...

I bought 2x256 GB Transcend M.2 SSDs from Amazon for $107 each: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLTPT6A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=B00KLTPUG4

Obviously, I had to be cautious because the drive being replaced is my SYSTEM drive! So I used NovaBACKUP to make an image backup of the C Drive and to create a bootable image restore USB stick. (I use NovaBACKUP for my regular backups)

I tried to use the free MiniTool Partition Wizard to make a bootable partition editor CD, but I could not get my machine to start the partition editor after rebooting the CD. So, I paid for the upgrade of EaseUS (the free version won't make a bootable CD) and made a bootable CD that would run their partition manager. There is probably another free utility out there to do this but I wanted to get this DONE!

So I swapped in the new SSD modules - they just popped right in! I then booted to the BIOS screen (actually the UEFI screen) and configure the 2 new SSD modules in RAID 0. Then I booted the partition editor CD. The new disk was there All I had to do was to convert the disk to a GPT volume (as opposed to an MBR volume, which seems to be the default).

After that I booted the image restore USB and did an image restore to the new disk.

Then the machine just booted Windows from the new drive ... just like that!!

Of course the partitions were the same as the original SSD, so my new C drive was the same size (256 GB) as the old one and there was a bunch of unallocated space on the new drive. I used the EaseUS partition editor to allocate that space to the system partition. To do that, I had to first move partitions around a bit so that the unallocated space was adjacent to the system partition. Then I just expanded the system partition.

My C Drive now has 249 GB free (55% free) ! :-D

I love it when a plan comes together!

OK ... the above is the short version. I actually made a number of mistakes along the way, and had to learn what to do by trial and error. The saving grace is that I could keep swapping the original SSD back in so I could boot and google more research! I skipped all that and just wrote up the summary of what actually needs to be done to work right.

I hope this helps someone!

Happy Holidays to all!

kb0sdq
12-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Wow Grats Blaise,
That is so cool. I am thinking of doing this to my JHA currently both my ssd's (128g) are full and the two halves of the 1tb are about full So maybe just change the 1tb*drive to a 2tb ssd? Can we change the mech drive to ssd with very few troubles?. Again Grats for your accomplishment.
Merry Christmas and Happy ROG_n
Doug

Blaise
12-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about what to do with my old SSDs. My daughter has a G75VW-AS71 that has just one hard drive, so she has an empty drive slot. I figure I'll get one of these to plug the SSDs into that 2nd sata drive slot:
Amazon Item: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018AOZ9QM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VBFFJG1NFGBS&coliid=I1BH9DWUGOLJ7B&psc=1 (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018AOZ9QM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VBFFJG1NFGBS&coliid=I1BH9DWUGOLJ7B&psc=1)
or
Ebay item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272461181374?ul_noapp=true (http://www.ebay.com/itm/272461181374?ul_noapp=true)

The Amazon item has good reviews, so I'll probably get that one. The Ebay item seems to have the advantage of also being able to plug it in via USB, which is kind-of cool, and may come in handy. But it has no reviews, nor does it specify a brand name/model that I could try to look up, so I'll probably not select it.

I also saw another item on Amazon. It only has 2 reviews, so I'll probably not use this one either ... but it's always nice to have options ;)
@nd Amazon item: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UMOEOIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VBFFJG1NFGBS&coliid=I1RSPDLQPBDAQK (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UMOEOIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3VBFFJG1NFGBS&coliid=I1RSPDLQPBDAQK)

Let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out.

kb0sdq
12-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Howdy Folks,
Well my new 256g m.2 drives came today from Amazon I also ordered a Samsung ssd a evo 850 2tb sata chose the same day delivery and the dummies left it in front of my door at ten minutes to eight in the morning when I turned my phone on about 9am saw the text that drive was delivered went outside and it was no where to be found. So I cal amazon and after three days they finally are issuing a refund seven hundred and change. So now I ordered a Samsung 2tb 850 evo pro for a few bucks more and regular delivery. I fought with this dynamex company they do not knock or ring bells, ah sorry had to vent, Anywho should have the 850 pro in few days also have a usb stick with system restore if needed
Doug
Happy ROG_n

kb0sdq
12-26-2016, 08:12 PM
okay the two 256g m.2 drives are in also dropped the Samsung evo 850 pro 2tb sssd in
first issue is the two m.2 drives have been cut up into 4 drives c d e f do not remember how to combine them so how do I combine c and and e with F?
also the 2tb 850 pro is showing up as un allocated how do I get that to be E and F drive?
Sorry I am old sometimes can not remember
Happy ROG_n
Doug

kb0sdq
12-27-2016, 12:50 AM
So far I have installed the two 256g m.2 drives three times trying to make this work so far I have had them in and the new ssd 850 pro but when trying to install win10 from win8 gets about half way does a restart and It is stuck on the rog symbol as that is as far as it goes.

Maybe I have to download all the updates and upgrade to win 8.1 then use the win10 iso
well no good I can not get these two new m.2 drives to open bios or restore, laptop boots right to the rog symbol. So the 128g cards are back in with the new ssd. It is always something
Doug

kb0sdq
01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Okay quick update. Finally got it all working for the most part. I got the two new m.2 drives in and working. Only issue now is when using the software that came with the 850 pro when booting I get a pop up saying that Samsung magician is having issue communicating with some parts of the ssd. when I go into the magician program it says that the ssd should be configured in ahci and not in raid or ide it is currently in raid it says in the bios. that is default I never put that one in raid just the two m.2 drives are in raid 0. so if I go into the bios and change the 850 to ahci but not in raid or ide then will I have t reinstall all the software I have put on the new drive? I have almost one tb on it now seems to be working okay.
Sorry to be needing so much help with this all new to me So thanks to all the folks that help others.
Happy ROG_n
Doug

kb0sdq
01-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Sweet Just ran the realbench and went from a 61k score and now 88943 woot

Image Editing:
Video Encoding:
OpenCL:
Heavy Multi-tasking:
Score:

Happy ROG_n
Doug

apfsds@netzero.com
08-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Good Morning . I have a G750JH and am looking to also replacing the M.2 SSD's and was wondering is anybody has looked into the Samsung 860 EVO .
SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-N6E500BW . I saw this on newegg
i want to make sure it s correct before i go threw and replace them .