PDA

View Full Version : Issues with G46VW and Windows 7

giblet
11-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Hello all,

I just got a G46VW and I decided to just install Windows 7 immediately over Windows 8. It's working great other than a few minor issues:

-the backlit keyboard isn't working (I've already attempted to install the ATK package)
-the battery doesn't have a "high performance" option, I'm not sure if Optimus is used instead though
-none of the other fn keys seem to work (assuming this is related to the ATK package?)
-the battery doesn't give the remaining amount of time left

I'm not sure if anyone has any fixes for this but any help would be great.

Pitcher@asus
11-14-2013, 02:27 AM
G46 have not Win 7 driver on asus support site, so you need try vander driver or win 8 driver to install, but ATK driver i think you can not install it, because it is asus own, you function key can not use, it is ATK driver issue, i think some utilities can not support win 7 too, so you will get those problem.
for ATK driver, i never try it, but you can try it, download here, http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/ASUS/ASUS-G46VW-ATKACPI-Driver-100026-for-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml

giblet
11-14-2013, 02:56 AM
G46 have not Win 7 driver on asus support site, so you need try vander driver or win 8 driver to install, but ATK driver i think you can not install it, because it is asus own, you function key can not use, it is ATK driver issue, i think some utilities can not support win 7 too, so you will get those problem.
for ATK driver, i never try it, but you can try it, download here, http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/ASUS/ASUS-G46VW-ATKACPI-Driver-100026-for-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml

When I try to install that, it does the "This program might not have installed correctly" error

SlyBlueFox
11-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I switched to Win7 on my G46VW & have since switched back but I believe I can help.

Have you tried installing the generic versions of the ASUS drivers? For example, google "ASUS ATK package" & it will come up with a page for Win7 drivers for the ATK package (I believe I installed this driver & is how I got mine to work). Similar scenario for other things as well (ASUS Power4Gear, ASUS Splendid Utility, etc).

I used a lot of manufacturer provided drivers to get it all to work together (Intel, nVIdia, etc); I would go to the G46VW driver page & anything you see on there that does not work, try to find the manufacturer driver. Only issue I had on Win7 was some HD4000/GTX660M video issues to do with sleep but other than that it seemed to work fine.

giblet
11-15-2013, 01:07 AM
I switched to Win7 on my G46VW & have since switched back but I believe I can help.

Have you tried installing the generic versions of the ASUS drivers? For example, google "ASUS ATK package" & it will come up with a page for Win7 drivers for the ATK package (I believe I installed this driver & is how I got mine to work). Similar scenario for other things as well (ASUS Power4Gear, ASUS Splendid Utility, etc).

I used a lot of manufacturer provided drivers to get it all to work together (Intel, nVIdia, etc); I would go to the G46VW driver page & anything you see on there that does not work, try to find the manufacturer driver. Only issue I had on Win7 was some HD4000/GTX660M video issues to do with sleep but other than that it seemed to work fine.

Yep, that's what I tried. I got it to install correctly (finally!) but the only thing that works with the Fn keys are the screen brightness. Also not sure if it matters but I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Clintlgm
11-15-2013, 02:59 AM
You know since they put 8.1 out, it pretty easy to make Win 8.1 look and feel just like Win 7. All it takes is ClassicShell and a couple gpedit changes, edit a few program defaults to open your desktop programs instead the win 8 apps. all free and easy to do. I guess you didn't really want to see that, but it might just be easier than getting your 46 working on Win 7

giblet
11-15-2013, 03:34 PM
You know since they put 8.1 out, it pretty easy to make Win 8.1 look and feel just like Win 7. All it takes is ClassicShell and a couple gpedit changes, edit a few program defaults to open your desktop programs instead the win 8 apps. all free and easy to do. I guess you didn't really want to see that, but it might just be easier than getting your 46 working on Win 7

Yeah..I appreciate the input but I can't stand Windows 8. I had 8.1 on my last laptop and I'm still not a fan of it. Windows 8 should have just refined the OS and left the user interface alone because Windows 7 was perfectly fine imo.

Clintlgm
11-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Yea I've had it loaded for a couple of weeks now, I don't notice much difference from win 7 and since I had a $14.95 Pro upgrade Key.
I don't see any of the metro interface at all not even the lock screeen. If any program or link opens one of those sucky Apps, I just change the default to my desktop programs. took a few days to catch most of them. All of my software runs flawlessly.