PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 on G750?

hoboX10
11-14-2013, 02:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew how or has previously installed Asus's Windows 7 OEM onto a G750 in such a way that you can use Asus's useful programs and such.

I know I can install a clean version of Windows 7, but I'd rather use Asus's OEM version of the OS. It doesn't seem like a Windows 7 download is offered though. I have a Windows 7 backup from a G75VW and was wondering if anyone has tried or knows if that could work on a G750JW?

Any info on the subject is welcomed. Thanks.

Pitcher@asus
11-14-2013, 03:17 AM
i think chipset and driver will be difference, i am not recommend you are using G75VW image back to G750JH model, i think it will have meet a lot of problem.

Maxter
11-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Pitcher is right... you won't be able to. The license for Win7 is tied to your older lappy, you can't use it on your new one. In any case, Win8 = Win 7 + Metro. You can install Classic Shell to control the Metro behavior. Memory management and gaming is same, so no worries there. I heard Win8.1 allows you to control Metro, so you wouldn't need classic shell.

hoboX10
11-14-2013, 06:13 AM
The issues aren't just cosmetic. There are compatibility issues and such I'm watching for with Windows 8. Truthfully I really want another G75VW-BBK5 but I cannot find ANY that are sold new anymore. I didn't think a G75's recovery would work but I thought it was worth asking in case someone had ever attempted it and had said it worked fine.

Asus doesn't offer OS downloads or anything do they? No Windows 7 download for the G750s?

Maxter
11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
G750 only comes with Win8. If you want Win7, you would have to buy the license... In any case, I know there are ISO's floating around on the microsoft website for clean installs of Win8 or Win8.1, though the G750 really doesn't come with bloatware (aside from some ASUS programs)

Shawnnepc
11-14-2013, 06:52 PM
The issues aren't just cosmetic. There are compatibility issues and such I'm watching for with Windows 8. Truthfully I really want another G75VW-BBK5 but I cannot find ANY that are sold new anymore. I didn't think a G75's recovery would work but I thought it was worth asking in case someone had ever attempted it and had said it worked fine.

Asus doesn't offer OS downloads or anything do they? No Windows 7 download for the G750s?

What compatibility issues are you worried about?

Windows 7 is not 'officially' supported on that model.

Dream
11-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Win 7 works beautifully on my JX. No, ASUS does not officially support it. They also don't support keeping your graphics card fully up to date - Nvidia does that.

Also, multiple re-sellers offer to install Win 7 on the computer for you. I bought from Pro-Star and paid the ~$90 without blinking for a legit copy of Windows 7 + zero hours of my time installing and configuring it.

All of the ASUS programs work on Win 7 btw. I even got the 32gb of free cloud storage working by sending a quick e-mail to support.

Maxter
11-14-2013, 10:25 PM
All of the ASUS programs work on Win 7 btw.

Like I said... Win 8 = Win 7 + Metro. Not you, but people keep thinking it's a huge difference in terms of memory management and gaming. It's just a different GUI (annoying to say the least).

sattla
11-15-2013, 10:13 AM
win 8 = win 7 + metro = complete crack of bs imo (no offence) there are alot of things that are totally different from a non gaming view.

i have a windows 8 pc at work and i have no chance of changing that and to say that the metro is the only difference is not right.

First big different that hits me is the ability to use full screen apps, windows 8 = touch screen OS = Windows phone OS. (and yes i know you can install the exe file just like you use to do.

And there are shortcuts to access SMS from the initial Metro screen when you boot your PC.

If i look at the Nokia Lumia 1020 to use a current example, when you start it you can clearly see that it looks just like windows 8 for PC.

Conclusion of this is that MS wants to bring the same platform from the phone to the PC to catch up with the sync ability that apple and Google has but imo the changes are to many for the normal users, i still haven't found any one who actually prefers windows 8 layout compared to windows 7.

/Simon

Maxter
11-15-2013, 06:40 PM
I agree with you, all software is going to phone style (sux). You need to install classic shell... forget the metro and apps there (unless you like to work on the comp as on your phone). Classic Shell will force Desktop mode and keep you there (It's just like being in Win7). I've tested games (LoL, Metro:LL, FarCry3, Crysis, etc.) and software (All MS, some molecular modeling, Photoshop, movie players, even VPN software, etc), everything runs the same. I haven't seen the Metro screen for over 2 months.

Maxter
11-15-2013, 06:42 PM
BTW, Classic Shell will allow you to disable all those annoying corner charms as well. At work, talk to the IT guy to let you install it. I did that here and he gladly gave me permission to do it (IT ppl don't like Metro either).