PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Mix Not Capturing Subwoofer Audio

Yakov
11-14-2013, 03:23 AM
While recording sound from stereo mix I am lacking bass, and it appears that it is due to no subwoofer included in stereo mix. Any fix?

Asus G750JW
Stereo Mix, in Sound > Recording

Maxter
11-14-2013, 03:50 AM
I assume Stereo Mix is a third party software? If so, the issue is there... not with the computer.

nebadon
12-20-2013, 01:32 AM
no one has a solution to this? I am starting to regret buying the G750JH, this sound card is absolutely terrible.

villiansv
12-20-2013, 01:52 AM
If you remove the asus sound drivers and use the built-in windows ones, you will have 2 stereo mix devices in control panel - sound. One outputs sound to the 2 stereo speakers below the screen, the other one to the subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop. The asus driver seems to combine them somehow, but without it you could experiment recording from one or the other (or both, if your app allows it) and see if it works for you.

edit: actually you have 2 speakers devices (playback section). i never checked the recording devices, but it may have something similar.

nebadon
12-20-2013, 04:36 AM
villiansv I think you are correct, a super hacktastic fix for this, plug in headphones while your recording, and it works perfectly, this takes the subwoofer out of the equation i suspect, I think I will stick with the asus drivers and just use headphones when I am recording, anyway if your having trouble with this give it a shot! my fraps recordings sound awesome now, seriously ASUS FIX THIS CRAP! 2700$ laptop and I cant record stuff properly?? seriously?? FIX THIS!

villiansv
12-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Good job on figuring out the hack, mate.

Shawnnepc
12-20-2013, 02:53 PM
villiansv I think you are correct, a super hacktastic fix for this, plug in headphones while your recording, and it works perfectly, this takes the subwoofer out of the equation i suspect, I think I will stick with the asus drivers and just use headphones when I am recording, anyway if your having trouble with this give it a shot! my fraps recordings sound awesome now, seriously ASUS FIX THIS CRAP! 2700$ laptop and I cant record stuff
properly?? seriously?? FIX THIS!

You've got a fairly strange and isolated issue with your software. I wouldn't expect a fix for this anytime soon.

You're definitely better off purchasing an external sound card if you are concerned about audio / recording quality.

These are excellent gaming machines and aren't really speeced for anything else.

Best of luck & Happy Holidays!

nebadon
12-20-2013, 05:07 PM
SHawnnepc you are greatly mistaken, Fraps is designed for capturing Video games, it is actually quite vital that these things work for gamers, to think otherwise is to not understanding gaming or gamers, as expensive as this machine is it should be fully functional and I should not have to spend another couple 100$ and have to lug even more stuff around with me, this machine is already hard enough to move around and costs way to much money to not be 100% functional device, not to mention external sound cards generally do not have speakers and would force me to either also carry around a large set of speakers or be forced to use headphones, so i would easily be looking at having to spend another 300-500$ just to solve this very poor design choice by asus.

Shawnnepc
12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
SHawnnepc you are greatly mistaken, Fraps is designed for capturing Video games, it is actually quite vital that these things work for gamers, to think otherwise is to not understanding gaming or gamers, as expensive as this machine is it should be fully functional and I should not have to spend another couple 100$ and have to lug even more stuff around with me, this machine is already hard enough to move around and costs way to much money to not be 100% functional device, not to mention external sound cards generally do not have speakers and would force me to either also carry around a large set of speakers or be forced to use headphones, so i would easily be looking at having to spend another 300-500$ just to solve this very poor design choice by asus.

I actually quoted the wrong person, sorry LOL.

Yeah I use fraps (well more so Shadowplay connected to Twitch now)

I haven't had any issues with my Fraps recordings at all. I did JUST get my G750 on Tuesday so I might need to play with it some more. I got myself it for Christmas :P

Gouka
03-11-2014, 05:06 AM
Just got a G750 and ran into the strange lack-of-bass-while-using-Stereo-Mix issue tonight. Took me a total of one week to run into it and this thread came in handy. Recording while a headset was plugged in worked for me as well. Since I don't usually record Stereo Mix while using a headset, I looked around a bit more. Wanted to add what I found to the conversation. This isn't a fix since it requires too much manual effort and sounds like crap while you record, but it may help narrow down the issue if anyone ever officially investigates it.

Anyway, I tried to find some setting that could be affecting how my subwoofer was routed when my speakers were being used. I noticed that my ROG AudioWizard was set to Soundscape as opposed to Off. I experimented with recording Stereo Mix while it was set to Soundscape, as it normally is, and then switching it to Off and recording the same bit of audio. Now, the audio changes to sounding strange (like crap!) when it's on Off, but when I switch it back to Soundscape and play both pieces of recorded audio, the one recorded while Soundscape was on is missing its bass and the one recorded while ROG AudioWizard was set to Off now sounds perfect, just as the original sounded when played with Soundscape on without any recording done. Seems like ROG AW is rerouting (or just turning on?) the subwoofer. So if I feel like going through the effort, I could theoretically turn off Soundscape, do all of my Stereo Mix recording, then turn Soundscape back on and my recorded audio should have its bass and be good to go for editing. Like I said, still expecting too much manual work for a "fix," particularly since you have to put up with the audio sounding strange while you're recording it. But maybe it will help someone narrow down the real issue. I haven't checked any of the other settings in ROG AW because, frankly, it's late, but I did verify that the Stereo Mix tab in the Realtek HD Audio Manager didn't seem to have anything useful to offer, nor did the other tabs.

Edit: Hmm double posted. Deleted the other one!