PDA

View Full Version : Asus 750JW - poor screen, advise?

Paul75
11-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi Guys

I just received my 750JW - great looking laptop I must admit. One problem I have with it though is the screen appears to have faint vertical lines evenly every 15 pixels. If I take a photo and zoom in I can see RGB/RGB/RGB/RGB/RGB then a join - I'm pretty sure it's not dead pixels. Anyway, when looking at the screen I can see it and I find it very distracting.

The thing is Asus want me to send it back so they can look at it but if the screens are just poor quality then I want to return it as I don't want to wait 2+ weeks to find I end up with another exactly the same because it's just a poor choice of screen. I don't believe it's actually faulty becausse I can't see dead pixels but I can't believe either that Asus would choose such a screen.

It's running 208 firmware, 331 nvidia drivers 1920x1080 resolution. Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1 (same problem).

The problem is not overly obvious but when compared to my 3 year old laptop it's replacing it's poor quality.

Please help

skepar
11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Return it while you can and pick another vendor !
Just dont bother show them that you respect your hard earned money.

Paul75
11-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks Skepar - was your screen the same? Am I the only one?

Prostar Computer
11-14-2013, 04:21 PM
It's not a model wide defect. Asus uses quality screens on the ROG series. If you like the laptop, I suggest having it sent in for repair, as it may have looked fine to your reseller's production team before it went out; sometimes things happen during transit that is out of their control.

Alternatively, you could request a replacement system, if your faith has been shaken.

Paul75
11-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Repair? I've only had it for a few days - surely I should return the whole unit for replacement? From what you are saying this isn't normal so I'll have to send it back :(

MrRuckus
11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Is it on anything displayed or just on Grid like backgrounds?

With the matte display, I have seen where on some lines that are of a grey color, can flicker and what not. People have reported that changing the refresh rate to 100Hz (you have to make a "custom resolution" in the Nvidia display control panel) will eliminate the problem.

If its occuring all the time on any background, I would say its defective. I went from a G74 with Glossy back to this G750 and the difference is minimal, basically one is just Matte and the other is Glossy. To me, Asus got it pretty close to almost the same quality in the screens. You can see a comparison here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39873-G74Sx-Glossy-Display-vs-G750JH-Matte-You-decide.&country=&status=

If you were within the first 30 days, I would be tempted to get it replaced at the reseller which should limit the delay in a replacement. Goodluck!

Paul75
11-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the detailed response MrRuckus. The problem is really faint, "almost" not worth bothering about but it annoys me to see because I bought it to do photography on. It's not a grid, it's vertical only - on a white screen I get vertical grey lines every 15 pixels which when I look at it causes the screen to appear non-uniform which is quite distracting. On other coloured backgrounds I see other similar effects.

Like I said though, I don't think it's actually broken, just manufactured to a poor level if you get what I mean, like the columns are manufactured in 15 pixel columns and stuck together with a bit of a gap which causes the vertical lines.

oh and I don't get a choice to increase it to 100Hz, it's only got one and that's 60Hz

So I'm going to send it back *sigh* and see if the replacement is any better

Paul75
11-14-2013, 05:34 PM
oh and I don't get a choice to increase it to 100Hz, it's only got one and that's 60Hz

Maxter
11-14-2013, 06:41 PM
One problem I have with it though is the screen appears to have faint vertical lines evenly every 15 pixels.
ASUS Splendid software was found to be doing this. Either update it to the latest version from support.asus.com, or uninstall it (this is what I did)

MrRuckus
11-14-2013, 08:00 PM
ASUS Splendid software was found to be doing this. Either update it to the latest version from support.asus.com, or uninstall it (this is what I did)

I would recommend this as well. I also uninstalled Splendid.

Is it a pure white background? I have only seen the flickering and what not on lines and grey colored backgrounds. It almost sounds like you may have a defective screen.

I can understand with photography why it would be bothersome.

Pierre990429
11-14-2013, 10:04 PM
I REALLY wonder ????? Doesn't anyone read the other topics on this forum ?????

I personally started a topic about this : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38346-Faint-vertical-lines-in-some-grey-shades-do-you-see-it-too&highlight=vertical+lines

Paul75, you probably got an AUO screen. All these screens have the vertical lines. Asus KNOWS it and won't do ANYTHING.

Only solution: try to CHANGE the screen. (couldn't get to it yet)

IGNORE the "update drivers" , "change the refresh rate", "uninstalll Splendid" advices. It does NOTHING.

I got a G750JH in France. AUO screen. I think I'll give it to my mother, so that she can check her emails.....

MrRuckus
11-14-2013, 10:55 PM
I guess that should have been our first question. Paul75, if you run HWiNFO64, you can find out what screen is in your laptop.

skepar
11-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Skepar - was your screen the same? Am I the only one?

Yes it is the same unfortunately :(. On AUO display

all.fury
11-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Hi all got mu g750jh in france too. Same auo219d panel and pixel are visible from 1 metre. Check this link
its my review before I sent it back to resseller and I will go to msi or dell. http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/22301-test-et-retour-sur-exp%C3%A9rience-asus-g750jh-t4040/?p=687098#entry687098

Pierre990429
11-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the link. I registered there and made a post.

hoboX10
11-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Hey, I have the AUO screen too but I'm in Texas, not France. What are the chances of me getting a screen with the issue still if I exchange it?

If anyone has direct advice to me please post on my thread here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40154-Installing-Windows-on-an-SSD&p=338020

I can't believe Asus would let something as trashy as this sell in their ROG laptops.

Pierre990429
11-19-2013, 05:18 PM
But they do. Look, no Asus comment in this thread..................