PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up factory desktop icons and gadgets

Brujenn
11-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Folks,

I did a clean install of Win8 on my G75vw and then installed everything that came on the drivers and utilities disk. I didn't realize that some of that stuff was bloatware, but have uninstalled all the game ads and stuff.

My question now is about the things that are left, and if I should keep some desktop short cuts. Is there any reason to keep the ASUSDV Dicon or CyberLink gadget? I can access Cyberlink Power To Go without the gadget, and ASUSDVD auto-starts just fine.

Also, please comment on the usefulness of:
Splendid Utility
HD VDeck
ASUS InsantOn
Power4Gear Hybrid
LifeFrame

Thank you.

rewben
11-15-2013, 12:45 AM
hi @Brujenn, i would like to tell you that the apps from that list will not affect normal computing. to me my laptop runs well without them.

as for usefulness, that actually depends on personal preference. the best way to determine which one stays is that you try them out yourself and see if it's useful to you.

iinm,
1. some reported that splendid utility caused some display issues;
2. hd vdeck is part of the sound driver (i think you can keep this);
3. instanOn is asus version of hybrid sleep functions?
4. power4gear provide a faster way to switch between power profiles;
5. lifeframe is for webcam.

Zygomorphic
11-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Cyberlink gadgets can be removed. They do nothing. If you don't use it after a month or two, you can probably safely remove it, if it looks like a real program.

Brujenn
11-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the help. This is my first ASUS, and I'm really liking it. It's a nice benefit that you guys have built a thriving forum.