PDA

View Full Version : FYI Download 8.1 ISO from Microsoft Store

Clintlgm
11-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Just found this on the eightforum.

1.Click on the Microsoft link below for your location to click on both the Install Windows 8 and Install Windows 8.1 buttons there to get both the Windows8-Setup.exe (Windows 8) and WindowsSetupBox.exe (Windows 8.1) files.

US: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only)
UK: Upgrading Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only)

2.Run the Windows 8 setup and enter your retail Windows 8 key, click next and when it begins downloading, STOP it! Exit setup.

3.Now run the the Windows 8.1 setup. It will produce and error. Exit and then run Windows 8.1 setup again.

4.It should now be downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO. Afterwards you can save it as an ISO or create the USB media immediately.

Regarding the "generic" key, that we can't use our Win 8 key for a clean install of Win 8.1. So for the clean install you need an "installation key" which you can obtain on the MS web-site. I copied my ISO onto a USB stick, started the installation, entered the generic key, finished the installation without a problem, then activated with my Win 8 product key without a problem.

These are the Generic Install only keys to get the install started be sure to uncheck activate as soon as you go online something like that. After your installed then go activate using YOUR win 8 key

Windows 8.1 Single Language Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC
Windows 8.1 Core 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Windows 8.1 Pro XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Silver-Eye
11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks a lot.. finnaly I decided to update my windows. When i received my g75vw, i decided to take out the win 8 and put win7 due to lack of proper drivers, one year passed and its time to update my laptop ;)

trying to do what u said, but always getting the same error : cannot connect to the internet (off course im connected).
Should i find a copy of win 8 somewhere and just activated with my win 8 key?

Clintlgm
11-18-2013, 11:14 PM
I don't know I got that off the eightforum (http://www.eightforums.com/), seem to be working for them. I got my ISO From a trusted source.

make sure you get the ISO for the version you have a key for. You will have to use a Install key to get the clean install going. uncheck the activated when online button. after you get installed and booting up then activate with your key.

Clintlgm
11-18-2013, 11:23 PM
If this work or doesn't work let me know I can just delete the post if it isn't. Seem to be working for them on the Eightforum.

Pitcher@asus
11-19-2013, 02:24 AM
i think if you have win 8 OS, you can upgrate to win 8.1 from microsofe store.

Clintlgm
11-19-2013, 02:31 AM
Yes but this little trick will let you download the ISO so that you can do a clean install

Silver-Eye
11-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Well, I didnt manage to do that, but a friend reported to me that "this trick" works :D

now I have a problem, managed to install win 8.1 pro, finally after 3 hours of installing and having everything smooth.. I realized that I forgot to change the Bios to UEFI ( i had win 7 in legacy).. How tha Hell can I do that now???? (I m a dumb ass :p)

Clintlgm
11-19-2013, 08:20 PM
LOL I did a very similar thing, when I booted to the usb thumb drive I saw the UEFI USB and USB I thought I had selected the UEFI but I must not have because I ended up with a MBR install. Took me a day to realize what I had done and had to start over again. So watch out for that. Once you get booted up to windows install F10 will bring up command prompt where you can use diskpart to clean your disk and convert to GPT. Practice makes perfect!! Reinstalling is the only way you can't convert a boot OS drive. And you really do want to have your system running GPT

Since this trick worked for you friend you can borrow his ISO to Clean Install

greypigeon
11-20-2013, 10:31 AM
If this work or doesn't work let me know I can just delete the post if it isn't. Seem to be working for them on the Eightforum.
This works, tried it a few weeks ago!
The only difference with a normal iso is the istall.esd in source folder, normal = install.wim:)