PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows on an SSD

hoboX10
11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
So I got a G750JW and an SSD to install Windows on, only to be introduced into the world of not having AI Recovery on these laptops.

So my question is am I able to install the windows recovery I make using AsusBacktracker on a separate SSD from the HDD that it came with?

I can't believe Asus would even take away a program like that and not offer a download or something...

Edit: Oh, and a big thing. Can I use this AsusBacktracker to put the image on DVD's or does it need to be a USB stick?

Thanks for the help.

WatchGuard
11-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi hoboX10,

Please refer to the sticky at the top titled "Bought a G750JW-DB71 and a few questions" (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38093-Bought-a-G750JW-DB71-and-a-few-questions&country=&status=)

The second post by hmscott has a ton of information in it and he starts right away with cloning images and such for usage with an SSD.

hoboX10
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the link watchguard, I'll read through it as it seems it will help with other problems. However, I had just edited my original post right when you replied, do you know an answer to my question in the edit of the first post?

cosmicmango
11-18-2013, 10:19 PM
The easiest way to transfer everything to a SSD is with ASUS Backtracker, this will put everything as it was right out of the box, you can download from the link below.

Download and install the program, you will need a 16GB flash drive (it won’t work with a DVD), if there’s data on the flash drive make sure you back it up because everything will be deleted during the installation process.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS+Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

hoboX10
11-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Alright so it requires a USB stick, thanks. Any other info people feeling like posting here is welcome.

hoboX10
11-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Looks like this brand new laptop I just opened as this vertical line issue on an AUO screen. What the hell did Asus do to this product...

Anyone think I have okay chances getting another and hoping it doesn't have the AUO screen?

If not, what other models of this laptop are known to not have the vertical line issue?

hoboX10
11-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Okay so I'm taking this laptop back to best buy and will get it returned. Whether I even attempt trying out another one in hopes of the screen not being a mockery and complete trash are if you guys think I should give it a go.

For the record, I have the G750JW-DB71 from best buy themselves. I think I've heard of other people getting this exact same laptop from other retailers and not having the issue? Please anyone with info please help, thanks a ton in advanced.

hoboX10
11-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Best Buy is trying to dance around my return as if they won't honor it. The people on the phone say it was bought through a different vendor (it clearly wasn't) and in store they say I need to call their online return people. Anyone have alternate methods of getting this through?