PDA

View Full Version : Matrix GTX 580 overclocking help...

infectiousgamer
09-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Hello. I need some help overclocking my GTX 580 Matrix... This is my first time posting so please bear with me as i may be a noob xD

I overclocked my card using GPU Tweak, up to 920 MHz at a voltage of 1.1v and it seems stable. However when i play games like crysis and metro 2033, I notice that the framerate is actually sometimes lower than normal clock... Being as curious as i am, i decided to overclock the memory as well... It did increase the framerate quite a lot(From 20-30 FPS to about 40-60 FPS), but I cant seem to find a good stable point to where I can get maximum speed with my overclock and for it to stay stable and cool. The memory voltage currently with my overclock is 1760 mV with 4700 MHz, and with these settings, it Crashes on Furmark after a few minutes. I also do not know what PEX_VDD Voltage is... Is there anyway I can overclock higher than this to see if I can get a faster speed but more stability? Oh and my card runs around 102c after a few minutes with Furmark...

I am using am AMD Phenom ii x6 1100T(Yes... i like AMD people, dont yell at me :( ), a Crosshair V Formula motherboard, all in a HAF X case with all optional fans installed.

max11b
09-06-2011, 04:03 AM
If that oc is getting you 40-60 fps and you are not crashing yet, then you got a stable oc. What is your you temp while playing?

cravinmild
09-06-2011, 04:23 AM
@infectiousgamer

I also have the same card and also run a AMD Hexcore (1055t) @ 3.92. I havent oc the card yet, need to figure out my draw on the psu alittle more before i do anything drastic, may have to remove a few things....

Anyways, going to love following you as you oc that card, keep posting your results if you can.

What are your system specs?

infectiousgamer
09-06-2011, 04:48 AM
If that oc is getting you 40-60 fps and you are not crashing yet, then you got a stable oc. What is your you temp while playing?

Im sorry... i left out some information...

Yes, it is crashing on my current overclock... When i run Furmark for a few minutes, the screen will go completely blank and unless i restart it, it will not come back on. However the computer remains on, and the load light indicator on the GPU is still Red. I cant really tell what the temp is while im playing... I have a G510 keyboard and I really wish there was a way I could view the GPU temp and not just the CPU, but thats for another discussion...

The max temp furmark reaches before crashing is 102c... which i hear is ok cuz the card is designed to run around 125c max... however I am not sure. Any ideas? Should i lower the voltage or increase it or something? this is very confusing...:p

infectiousgamer
09-06-2011, 04:51 AM
@infectiousgamer

I also have the same card and also run a AMD Hexcore (1055t) @ 3.92. I havent oc the card yet, need to figure out my draw on the psu alittle more before i do anything drastic, may have to remove a few things....

Anyways, going to love following you as you oc that card, keep posting your results if you can.

What are your system specs?

Currently I have an 1100t overclocked to 4 GHz. I have ran prime 95 for 23 hours and 47 minutes with 0 errors and 0 warnings, and max temp 62c with my thermalright silver arrow heatsink. I have a Crosshair V Formula motherboard, tons of fans, my Matrix GTX 580 graphics card, and I cannot wait for bulldozer! =D

What PSU do you have? I have a 1000W Silent pro M, which is very overkill unless your using SLI. an 850 or even 750W may suit an overclock with this cards caliber with no problem. Make sure you have a good stable overclock on your CPU as well... It helps bottlenecking. And watch that NB clock... that does make a significant difference in stability. just for suggestions ;D

max11b
09-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Im sorry... i left out some information...

Yes, it is crashing on my current overclock... When i run Furmark for a few minutes, the screen will go completely blank and unless i restart it, it will not come back on. However the computer remains on, and the load light indicator on the GPU is still Red. I cant really tell what the temp is while im playing... I have a G510 keyboard and I really wish there was a way I could view the GPU temp and not just the CPU, but thats for another discussion...

The max temp furmark reaches before crashing is 102c... which i hear is ok cuz the card is designed to run around 125c max... however I am not sure. Any ideas? Should i lower the voltage or increase it or something? this is very confusing...:p

If you're at 920 @ 1.1v on gpu tweak I suggestion increasing to 1.150v and see what happens. if not then back down from 920 to 900. now if that don't work then go back to stock clock and start over. at the bottom of gpu tweak next to the number "4" there's a letter "S" and "G" you can select G for gamer as it's a preset value. now as for temps, 102c is too high at least to me. try to aim for 90c when OCing w/ stability. with all the fans in your HAF X case your matrix shouldn't getting that hot anyways. for the psu, 1000w is a lot but it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

max11b
09-06-2011, 06:12 AM
here's this link to asus psu calculator http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en

max11b
09-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Currently I have an 1100t overclocked to 4 GHz. I have ran prime 95 for 23 hours and 47 minutes with 0 errors and 0 warnings, and max temp 62c with my thermalright silver arrow heatsink. I have a Crosshair V Formula motherboard, tons of fans, my Matrix GTX 580 graphics card, and I cannot wait for bulldozer! =D

What PSU do you have? I have a 1000W Silent pro M, which is very overkill unless your using SLI. an 850 or even 750W may suit an overclock with this cards caliber with no problem. Make sure you have a good stable overclock on your CPU as well... It helps bottlenecking. And watch that NB clock... that does make a significant difference in stability. just for suggestions ;D

My setup:

Windows 7 64-bit
i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
2x asus matrix platinum gtx 580
4x4gb g.skill sniper series ddr3-1866
asus maximus 4 extreme b-3 revision
corsair h70 cpu cooler
1200 psu

running nvidia 280.26 & SLI profile patch

Asus GPU Tweak
Core clock - 831
Voltage - 1.075
Memory clock - 4038
Voltage - 1.580

I'm getting 90 +/- 10fps in crysis 2 mp with dx11/hi-res enabled & ultra setting at 1680x1050 @ 120hz

infectiousgamer
09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
This is interesting... when the temp reaches 101c or higher on furmark, it starts to show signs of instability. the framerate starts to go down pretty quickly even tho the matrix load indicator LED is still red. Then the screen goes black and I cannot do anything until i reboot my computer... Im going to see if lowering the voltage will help... I have a feeling that heat is playing a key role in the crashing problem...

max11b
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Of course your fps will drop even though under load if heat is the problem. does the fan run at 100% on the gpu. how many case fan are you using and are they running at max.

infectiousgamer
09-07-2011, 12:17 AM
I have 1 200mm red fan in the front of the case. 1 200mm fan on the side blowing cool air to the card. I have 2 200mm fans on top, one above the cpu cooler exhausting air, and one above the disk drive area pulling in air. I have one 120mm in the fan exhausting air from the CPU(silver arrow heatsink). GPU fans are running at 100% speed. I dont know how to control any of the other fan headers as they are all 3 pin fan headers instead of 4. the only ones that have 4 pins are the 2 CPU Fans I have.

Area 66
09-07-2011, 01:59 AM
it's an haf X ??