PDA

View Full Version : guess which laptop manufacturer has the lowest failure rate?

cheek
11-20-2013, 04:07 AM
this is a 2012 study by square trade. interesting....

http://lifehacker.com/computer-manufacturers-ranked-how-to-pick-a-laptop-tha-1467145338?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_face book&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

although tech support is ranked third behind apple and lenovo...

13fist
11-20-2013, 08:12 AM
That is interesting. Although I've never understood apple's success given my personal failure rate has been 100% with their products, I had expected them to be rated higher due to the popularity. I thought it could just be me.

On the other hand, before getting into asus G series laptops, my previous gaming laptop was a toshiba x205. That thing lasted the longest of any laptop I owned. I bought it at the PX in ramadi while deployed in 2007 and it survived until 2012 with the only failures being the optical drive due to Iraqs fine sand and it's final death from spillage. The funny part is how I was told by friends that toshiba was garbage, but time told the truth when it outlasted everything else, including harsh conditions no laptop should be expected to survive.

Now I have had one major issue with my G75. I was able to solve the problem, but it's true cause will remain a mystery. Given the level of use and modding done to it I still can't complain about the overall quality. If asus is listening, I will exclaim to knock it off with the garbage wifi card. That is the only issue I've had "out of the box" with an other wise perfect laptop.

TokoDude
11-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Toshiba ranked2?

From my experiance i had so much laptops of thoshiba that were broken.

Clintlgm
11-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Well if you think about it, most people that have problems end up here in these forums. There aren't really that many of us compared to how many units are being sold. Other than these forums tech support pretty much sucks. But apparently its even worse with the other brands?

GottiBoi55
11-21-2013, 05:24 AM
That's a really good track record for Asus, 84.4 success rate is very good:)
I purchased three "G Series", and all been really good to me!

TotalONE
11-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I don't understand how apple customer service is so great, Ive been to apple store couple of times and bought a lot of their product.. and I mean A LOT , their service is even worse then ASUS. :/

Dr. Zchivago
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Apple has such a huge customer base because Apple had at its helm a brilliant marketing genius (deliberate redundancy) and the average person is not interested in performance, actual usability, personal development, or personal technological education. Apple encourages sheeple to maintain their personal technological "status quo" so that they NEED OTHER PEOPLE to develop apps, hardware, etc.

Why does your iPhone overheat? Can't hold a charge? Limited app usability? Tiny screen? One service provider? Because you'll still buy the next iPhone to be released even if the REAL problems are never solved. "Oh, your Li-Ion battery has degraded to the point where it holds a charge for only an hour, as will every battery? Nevermind being able to replace it for $6, go buy a new iPhone for $500."

When a PC is problematic, restart Windows. That didn't work? F-Disk, format, reinstall.
When a Macintosh fails, take it to the Apple store so they can do that for you. If that doesn't work, buy a new Apple (sheep).

The bottom line: Apple sells because Apple has convinced the world that it needs an Apple.

I feel better for having released the rage.

Dr. Z

13fist
11-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Apple has such a huge customer base because Apple had at its helm a brilliant marketing genius (deliberate redundancy) and the average person is not interested in performance, actual usability, personal development, or personal technological education. Apple encourages sheeple to maintain their personal technological "status quo" so that they NEED OTHER PEOPLE to develop apps, hardware, etc.

Why does your iPhone overheat? Can't hold a charge? Limited app usability? Tiny screen? One service provider? Because you'll still buy the next iPhone to be released even if the REAL problems are never solved. "Oh, your Li-Ion battery has degraded to the point where it holds a charge for only an hour, as will every battery? Nevermind being able to replace it for $6, go buy a new iPhone for $500."

When a PC is problematic, restart Windows. That didn't work? F-Disk, format, reinstall.
When a Macintosh fails, take it to the Apple store so they can do that for you. If that doesn't work, buy a new Apple (sheep).

The bottom line: Apple sells because Apple has convinced the world that it needs an Apple.

I feel better for having released the rage.

Dr. Z

Preach on brother!

chrsplmr
11-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Considering that apple isn't a pc .. and they just do what they do .. I was thrilled to see the next section.
Not to shabby Asus .. not to shabby at all.

Zygomorphic
11-22-2013, 01:12 AM
That is interesting. Although I've never understood apple's success given my personal failure rate has been 100% with their products, I had expected them to be rated higher due to the popularity. I thought it could just be me.

On the other hand, before getting into asus G series laptops, my previous gaming laptop was a toshiba x205. That thing lasted the longest of any laptop I owned. I bought it at the PX in ramadi while deployed in 2007 and it survived until 2012 with the only failures being the optical drive due to Iraqs fine sand and it's final death from spillage. The funny part is how I was told by friends that toshiba was garbage, but time told the truth when it outlasted everything else, including harsh conditions no laptop should be expected to survive.

Now I have had one major issue with my G75. I was able to solve the problem, but it's true cause will remain a mystery. Given the level of use and modding done to it I still can't complain about the overall quality. If asus is listening, I will exclaim to knock it off with the garbage wifi card. That is the only issue I've had "out of the box" with an other wise perfect laptop.
Toshiba has been, in my experience, and excellent notebook manufacturer, and everyone I know would say exactly the same thing. ASUS is also excellent, though I didn't realize how high their customer support ranking was. That's great! Is squaretrade by any chance including the ROG forums? :cool:

Duke of Alinor
11-23-2013, 07:16 PM
That ranking shows only one side of the picture...
Apple is ranked on top very often because they make the whole widget. They assemble the hardware and make the OS so it works well. HP, Sony and some others assemble hardware then make changes very difficult or impossible due to only allowing their own drivers.
The OS each comes with comes into play as well. Vista had such poor drivers many thought their hardware failed. Again Apple shines for the common user as they test their updates more and have fewer hardware options to test.

piticu
12-02-2013, 10:03 PM
well since my g75 died for the third time. asus sent it back without bothering to assemble the backplane, I vote for mac.
Actually since asus had my g75 in service since mid October I bought a macbook pro. So go Apple I guess, at least they back their products.

Messerschmitt
12-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised MSI was left out. I was curious to see how they rank.

Shawnnepc
12-04-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm surprised MSI was left out. I was curious to see how they rank.

MSI isn't really a player in the mass consumer market. They've got a bunch of strange niche products that are normally sold through channel resellers.

We used to sell their Whitebooks a few years ago and it didn't really work well for us. They had a fairly high failure rate (Almost 100% of the ones we've sold failed after 2 yrs) and dealing with MSI is kind of a pain.

AgenBlaze
12-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Well this laptop is indeed extremely reliable. Very pleased with it

Zygomorphic
12-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Well this laptop is indeed extremely reliable. Very pleased with it
That is always good to hear, especially since most people with great systems don't join the forums. If you haven't already, please join my group (in my sig).